ABRSM exams - what else are you asked for besides your pieces?

Watch
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I haven't taken any music exams yet (so not sure exactly how it goes) but my teacher recently gave me the grade 5 pieces, and I'm thinking about whether it's reasonable for me to prepare for the next exam period.

What are the other tasks/tests required aside from pieces and scales?

Do you have to play all your scales/arpeggios, or do they ask for a selection?
TrumpetCrumpet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi! What instrument is this for?
You will be asked to play 3 pieces, scales (sometimes they ask all of them but most of the time just a few) a sight reading test. Then you also have to do an aural test were you might have to sing back a piece of music, sight sing, clap a rhythm, identify a composer, cadence or time signature. I know it sounds overwhelming but as long as you know what you're doing its not too bad 😊
Magdatrix >_<
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccalouisemary)
hi! What instrument is this for?
You will be asked to play 3 pieces, scales (sometimes they ask all of them but most of the time just a few) a sight reading test. Then you also have to do an aural test were you might have to sing back a piece of music, sight sing, clap a rhythm, identify a composer, cadence or time signature. I know it sounds overwhelming but as long as you know what you're doing its not too bad 😊
Thanks It's for violin...
I feel comfortable about learning the pieces and scales in time. My sight-reading is a bit slow, but the aural tests are the part I think are most overwhelming because I've not really done those tasks...
TrumpetCrumpet
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Magdatrix &gt;_&lt;)
I feel comfortable about learning the pieces and scales in time. My sight-reading is a bit slow, but the aural tests are the part I think are most overwhelming because I've not really done those tasks...
With sight reading don't worry if it's a bit slow, take the tempo as you like and if you miss a note move on from it. The main thing is keeping the tempo.

For aural you just need to practice, do you have a teacher who can go through it with you? it is also worth downloading the abrsm aural trainer app. There is also an abrsm aural book you can buy which comes with CDs so you can practice by yourself.
Magdatrix >_<
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccalouisemary)
With sight reading don't worry if it's a bit slow, take the tempo as you like and if you miss a note move on from it. The main thing is keeping the tempo.

For aural you just need to practice, do you have a teacher who can go through it with you? it is also worth downloading the abrsm aural trainer app. There is also an abrsm aural book you can buy which comes with CDs so you can practice by yourself.
I have a teacher but I will probably only have one lesson before the date that I have to decide whether or not to enter! Obviously there'd still be time to practice after that but I'd like to be fairly confident that it's not an unrealistic time frame to get up to scratch on everything...
TrumpetCrumpet
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a teacher but I will probably only have one lesson before the date that I have to decide whether or not to enter! Obviously there'd still be time to practice after that but I'd like to be fairly confident that it's not an unrealistic time frame to get up to scratch on everything...
You probably have nothing to worry about, the aural test is only 20 marks and as long as you answer confidently you should be fine. I'd download the aural trainer app and practice, find things on YouTube and just start trying to recognise what questions they will ask and how to answer them. I really wouldn't recommend it but I have gone into exams with very little aural practice and still pass, it's nothing to worry about, especially when you're only at grade 5. When are you planning on taking your exam?
indiaem16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everybody always gets scared at the sight reading, but sight reading practice doesn't have to be playing the ABRSM specimen book. Grab any music - any at all - and just play! It's seriously fun! Even better, find a friend who's a pianist and stumble through a piece together... It's such a valuable skill, and doing this will make it so much better in the long run, and you get to play more music
Magdatrix >_<
Rep:
?
(Original post by TrumpetCrumpet)
You probably have nothing to worry about, the aural test is only 20 marks and as long as you answer confidently you should be fine. I'd download the aural trainer app and practice, find things on YouTube and just start trying to recognise what questions they will ask and how to answer them. I really wouldn't recommend it but I have gone into exams with very little aural practice and still pass, it's nothing to worry about, especially when you're only at grade 5. When are you planning on taking your exam?
I decided to take in in the summer which gives about 4-5 months to prepare, and my teacher is going to do a mock exam session so I can get a feel for what is required.

The only concern I have about that is how do I find ways to practice well but without getting 'bored' of playing my pieces?
Previously I've kind of rushed to do performances/band stuff and ended up practicing a lot in a short amount of time (like a month to prepare 6 pieces or something mad). Obviously with assessments there's no such thing as too early but I don't want to get to a point where I don't feel like practising, if that makes any sense!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (206)
33.33%
No (412)
66.67%

Watched Threads