The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
samblue
Ok firstly this isnt a general rant becasue I have a beef with nottingham uni, it is a statement from the general feeling from Nottingham uni students. .

So what is the point in your post then?

samblue
Nottingham uni only care for money, the welfare of the students is of minimal importance. They place huge importance on new buildings and structures with grand names like "inspire", however do absolutely nothing to in inspire or enthuse their own students. .
Any proof? So your saying that the building of new buildings is absoloutly pointless?

samblue
Firsty university of nottingham on halls, hall prices rise by about 10% a year however service decreases, cleaning and catering staff have been laid off meaning that some rooms are only cleaned every other week and that you dont get any cooked breakfast in the morning. Also generally the good quality if awful. When some students tried to set up a facebook group to challenge this: http://nottinghamac.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6116831572 , they were hauled in front of the vice chancellor and given huge fines. The above students were also sent threatening that they would be kicked out of uni of if they didnt stop the protest group..
They actually managed to get cooked breakfasts back during the exam time and a wider choice of food the rest of the time. But hall prices are being risen quite alot. Oh and you dont call this active protesting?

samblue
The university of nottingham is not politically active. The students union is one of the worst in the country. The only thing it does to support students is to warn them about speaking out againsts big brother: there is a link to this on their website but I cannot find it at the moment. Generally the student union are very supportive of the uni and it is the general feeling of the students that they dont have the balls to stand up to them.
They are a very good students union, if not politically. They have one of the widest ranges of societies in the country. We have the biggest election turn out for voting for the SU executive in the country. I think we are very rare in having a full time and paid SU president.

samblue
The university of nottingham does not obey the law. "In order for you to be legally clamped, there must be notices up where you can clearly see them, warning that unauthorised vehicles will be clamped." this comes from the CAB http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/pressoffice/press_index/press-051222.htm
I dont know of anyone who does not know the parking rules on campus. No parking between 8-5 on weedays unless your a visitor in a pay and display carpark or you have a permit.

samblue
Howerver if you point this out to their sucurity staff who do the clamping you are going to be threatened and intimidated, even though there are NO signs around the campus carparks warning you off this. When you write a letter of appeal to the uni you will be told that "that isnt a good enough excuse" by the uni officials. Sadly this dosnt just happen to our uni studnets but to visitors as well. ..
So you are 100% sure that if your clamped you are guaranteed to be threatned and intimidated?

samblue
If you try and hold a peaceful rally on campus. You will be thretened by sucurity, then you will have the police called and then the university will demand that people/students are arrested: http://nottinghamac.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7904246666 . But hey it dosnt matter becasue we are only your students right my university. ..
If they get out of hand you may be shut down, the the uni frequently gives permission to stage peaceful protests.

samblue
I could go on... I could tell you about the £8 fine on top of the price of the book for "strengthening" or laminating as you would know it if you lose a book. Or I could tell you how the uni charge you £20 for a new library card if you are beaten up and mugged while almost all other universities provide this for free if the card is stolen.
I was charged £20 for a new card after being mugged, but due to protesting at our 'politically inactive' uni i got a refund and the price has dropped to £15 if its lost and free with a crime reference number.

samblue
In shirt just dont go to notts uni. There are plenty of better ones around.
Fine quit. There are better unis but Nottingham is extremley good.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Good post! Go Nottingham! Piss off Sam! I don't want you to put me off Nottingham.
Reply 42
blone_bomb
So what is the point in your post then?

Any proof? So your saying that the building of new buildings is absoloutly pointless?

Many of them yes. I certainly think that it is unjustifiable to extort money of students with one hand and spend millions on inpracticle buildings the next.

They actually managed to get cooked breakfasts back during the exam time and a wider choice of food the rest of the time. But hall prices are being risen quite alot. Oh and you dont call this active protesting?

Please check your facts. The students who did this were heavily fined and were thretened with being kicked out of uni. PLus the so called cooked breakfasts have not a single egg and a peice of bacon from what i have been told. The only reason the uni gave into this was becase it was causing to much attention. PLease have a look on the facebook profile page to confirm this.

They are a very good students union, if not politically. They have one of the widest ranges of societies in the country. We have the biggest election turn out for voting for the SU executive in the country. I think we are very rare in having a full time and paid SU president.

The SU is meant to do more than run societies, which may I add they dont really do that well. Infact there is a special brance called the athletic union to do this! What are out SU doing? They certainly didnt help with any of the issues I raised.

I dont know of anyone who does not know the parking rules on campus. No parking between 8-5 on weedays unless your a visitor in a pay and display carpark or you have a permit.

And by that i can take it you dont know anyone who isnt from the uni? Sadly people can genrally just drive onto campus as my friend did. Also some students generally do not know the rules.

So you are 100% sure that if your clamped you are guaranteed to be threatned and intimidated?

Nope not 100% In the cases my and people whom I know this has been the case. Surely you are not condoning this? This shouldnt happen at all, if it happens 10% of the time it is unaceptable and should be brought up.

If they get out of hand you may be shut down, the the uni frequently gives permission to stage peaceful protests.

Define out of hand? Please give me one instance when the uni have allowed themselves to campaigned about? Sadly for you freedom of speech means that if you want to say the uni is poorly run and that it is treating the studdents like creap you should be able to! Not just speak about what the uni wants to knw about.

I was charged £20 for a new card after being mugged, but due to protesting at our 'politically inactive' uni i got a refund and the price has dropped to £15 if its lost and free with a crime reference number.

So was I. Sadly again you have completely failed to get your facts straight. The uni again fined and threatened the studnets who campaigned against this.

Fine quit. There are better unis but Nottingham is extremley good.

better uni but nottingham is extremely good.... I would ridicule this, but I dont think I have to now.

Feel free to tell me if you think I have misrepresented something.
Reply 43
You have. Want a cookie?

Nottingham is by far one of the nicest and friendliest Universities. I have visited a great deal of Universities, and after knowing three graduating classes from my school pretty well, I have travelled extensively to visit them at other Universities. None was as helpful and friendly as Nottingham. The level of education that you receive here is high and you will definitely find almost everything you want on campus.

I come from a very protected background and from a country that was not only very safe but also where people where very friendly. Coming to a city as big as Nottingham was really daunting, especially the first time I visited, but rest assured my worries left as soon as I met the staff and students. Everyone is extremely helpful and there's plenty of support services available on campus.

As far as politically active goes, who cares? It's pretty obvious that the SU isn't as active as many SU. I knew that and I hardly knew anything about the University before joining. If you really care about Politics, then go somewhere else. Simple as.

Samblue - you allegedly called Nottingham University 'greedy.' They aren't. They run an institution and in order for anything to function properly it needs a good flow of money. Just like Jacky Gallagher, tuition fees officier said, if you join a University you are undertaking a responsibility as are they. They will ensure that you get the best possible services as well as the highest level of education achieivable by them. Your duty is to follow the rules and attain the most from what they have to offer. That includes PAYING FOR THINGS. This is a simple rule. If you want something, you have to give something back. In this case money. If you think that's being 'greedy' then I think you're being EXTREMELY selfish. You want things for free and you want to do whatever the hell you want and not expect to have consequences.

If any of you think that the majority of the student body here at Nottingham University shares the same opinion as Samblue then you're COMPLETELY mistaken. The University is by far one of the best Universities in the UK. The campus is absolutely HUGE! The way it's organised is worthy of respect and admiration. Instead of always complaining, why don't you actually try and improve it. By sitting on a forum and suggesting future students not come to Nottingham you're only making things worse. Moaning isn't going to get you anywhere - action is.

By the way Blone_bob, I completely agree with you!
Reply 44
In all fairness there are some valid points. the halls are ridiculously expensive and the catering has gone from bad to worse. now they have decided to stop providing orange squash at lunch!? where can you get involved with these issues??
Reply 45
Take it to the Accommodation office, hall manager or even SU.
Reply 46
gilbo
In all fairness there are some valid points. the halls are ridiculously expensive and the catering has gone from bad to worse. now they have decided to stop providing orange squash at lunch!? where can you get involved with these issues??

Speak to your hall president, they can take it up with the SU.
I agree with everything blone bomb has said. If people are considering what ONE person has said against a WHOLE uni as proof that they shouldn't go there, then seriously you shouldn't even consider going to uni. It just shows how easily influenced and brainwashed you can be.
Reply 48
I am studying in the University of Nottingham and I am so happy that I chose it. Although it is my first year but I can say that I like the rules here and basically everything.
blone_bomb

Just had to interject here that it isn't particularly rare. Quite a few of the unis I looked at had a full time SU President. Bristol certainly did, I can't remember the others atm, but they were there.
Reply 50
Joe555
I doubt this joker even went to Nottingham uni! 13 posts......all of which are mainly on this thread. Sounds like you made up the account to post here or come from another university (probably lower down the league table) and are deciding to take out some kind of revenge!

that would be kind of dumb...how could he/she possibly know these type of info if he goes to another uni!...even though i don't go nottz theres always things that unis tend to miss out when your applying!....this has helped me because now i know the question im gunna go ask at my uni choices!...
well he could have gone for one of the open days, had a bad day and decided to write about the uni.
Well, even with what you said - I still like Nottingham Uni!

Just seeing if Bristol or Manchester offer me a place for medicine, and choose between them after, but at the moment, I am so glad to be offered a place at Nottingham and the true prospect of studying there!
Reply 53
Sam, in one capacity or another I have had dealings with Nottm Uni and it's students for the last 10 years (Never worked FOR them though) and whilst you do raise some pertinent issues, and to be honest missed a lot more, your opinion is far from the 'general feeling' that I've ever heard about the Uni.

If the student body shows little interest in politcal activiies, who is to blame?

If they fail to comply with the rules governing private land, then get into trouble, who is to blame?

Granted, Nottm Uni is run along the lines of a business, but then most are nowadays.
How else will they afford to build new labs/Halls/facilities which will only benefit future students?

The fact remains that it is one of the better Uni's in this Country, and if you don't like it, give up your place for one of the thousands of students who couldn't get in.
Reply 54
And if Nottingham is such a bad place, why do nearly 30,000 students study here?
Reply 55
samblue
it is a statement from the general feeling from Nottingham uni students.

looks like you havnt quite captured the general feeling im afraid. even if anything you said was true, Im not going to be taking a car and I dont plan to get involved in much rallying. I can't wait to go to Nottingham in September! Bring it on :smile:
Reply 56
Good! Keep up that attitude! :biggrin:
Reply 57
Nottingham seems good to me. I know several students there and they love it.
Reply 58
I was rejected, so screw them haha.
I'm quite shocked by the lack of student support and understanding from this University. I'm not totally needy, but I'd like to feel safe and cared for rather than like i'm in constant warfare with the uni authorities.
Reply 59
PippaLove
I was rejected, so screw them haha.
I'm quite shocked by the lack of student support and understanding from this University. I'm not totally needy, but I'd like to feel safe and cared for rather than like i'm in constant warfare with the uni authorities.

Somebody being spiteful? You don't even go to Nottingham....so how can you say there's a lack of support and understanding? You've basically listened to this one person and taken their word as God's....Just don't be so spiteful in future please.

Latest

Trending

Trending