The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

BrenLee
Wow, I never knew the International office were thought of in this way. When I personally deal with them they are really great but I guess the experience is completely different from my side.

I'm probably gonna regret this but if you do have problems you could try me. I really don't know much about that side of things but I am friendly and willing to give it a go.

Where are you from?

I absolutely get no help there. I wouldn't say that I get offended, but it's just ridiculous to assume that somebody who has grown up in a first world country (in the West, as in, America) and speaks native English needs a pamphlet on how to ride a bike in the UK. None of the programmes provided by the Uni are of any help to you if you speak native English or come from Canada, Australia, America (places similar to England, yet still different, obviously). It just gets annoying to walk int the office and have everybody try and treat you like you don't understand what they're saying. I do understand. English. I speak it.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
BrenLee is from the accomodation office.
and yes i get that attitude from the international office as well. not very good of them
Reply 82
Well, the international office is not normally used to people from the English - speaking world coming up to them and asking them questions. Although, that's no excuse!
there are actually. for you to be able to get into the uni, you need an IELTS score of at least 5.5 (which is much more than basic english), or at least a C in english at gcse's (and o'level gcses at that.they're the old style gcse's that are harder than normal ones and some countries still do them).so they really have no excuse. plus 'how to ride a bike'? come on!
Reply 84
No, I meant people who speak English as their mother tongue. Although, I still agree with you.
Reply 85
La Trampa
BrenLee is from the accomodation office.

I sure am :smile:

We have a poor reputation too (I think) but the staff here are pretty friendly and if we are able to do something for you we try. Policy gets in the way majority of the time but we do try.

B:smile:
La Trampa
there are actually. for you to be able to get into the uni, you need an IELTS score of at least 5.5 (which is much more than basic english), or at least a C in english at gcse's (and o'level gcses at that.they're the old style gcse's that are harder than normal ones and some countries still do them).so they really have no excuse.

These things appear to me nothing given the number of students (postgraduates at that) who can't speak english to a standard where they can articulate ideas properly. All those exams are mostly written work, not spoken.
Ielts is a speaking, reading and writing test.
La Trampa
Ielts is a speaking, reading and writing test.

So mostly written then (given that the comprehension section is reading written work). I've helped coach a number of students through the IELTS programme so I'm pretty au fait with what is developed to what level in terms of fluency. Clearly learning english is especially difficult for those from cultures where exposure to it is minimal (such as China), however students gain most of their verbal fluency from social interaction with native english speakers, that social interaction seems to vary along cultural lines.
i dont have time to read all this thread but would just like to add, yes they do try to make the most money out of you, in halls, shops, portland building canteens, PRINT CREDIT, sports centre etc etc but then dont all unis? Nottingham is still a decent place to study and facilities are constantly improving i.e. recent hallward lib.
Reply 90
WTF PRINT CREDITS? Dont tell me it costs to print stuff?
Reply 91
v2006
even colleges have print credits, quit the pointless whining. :rolleyes:
Reply 92
I am not whining you twit, just surprised as Imperial didn't charge students for printing.
Reply 93
v2006

Booklet from the open day says that you get £6 worth of free printing pa.
Additional prints of A4: 6p, A3: 12p.
Reply 94
actually it's gone up to 7p for A4, and 14p for A3, but now they give you £7 worth of credit, so you still get 100 free prints/photocopies.
Reply 95
hi guys, im studyin @ nottm, n i fnk its a gr8 uni! had no problems wotsoever, n everythin is runnin smoothly, enjoyin everythin about it, so dnt let one post put u off applyin cs nottm is a gr8 uni 2 cum 2, both the academic side n the student life, sum of which is organised by the student union, which are fab. the uni r bound 2 hv rules but there r a lot more pros than cons in my opinion of nottm uni. luvin it! x
your english is quite disturbing....
Reply 97
andrea_s32
hi guys, im studyin @ nottm, n i fnk its a gr8 uni! had no problems wotsoever, n everythin is runnin smoothly, enjoyin everythin about it, so dnt let one post put u off applyin cs nottm is a gr8 uni 2 cum 2, both the academic side n the student life, sum of which is organised by the student union, which are fab. the uni r bound 2 hv rules but there r a lot more pros than cons in my opinion of nottm uni. luvin it! x

Your post doesn't reassure me. Infact it makes me worried.
Reply 98
Firstly, for heaven's sake if you're going to represent our uni learn to spell, or at the very least learn basic English. That really is fairly embarassing.

Secondly, never judge a uni by what one person on some internet forum says. Yes,I know that as I say this I am but one person on an internet forum...however, I'm at Nott'm Vet School and it's absolutely bloody wonderful. We know the staff personally, they really do care about us and our learning and make every effort to help us whenever they can, and they really do listen to us. I have several good friends on main campus who are also absolutely loving it.

Thirdly, I didn't read all this thread, I'll admit it. Frankly I don't really have time and as soon as Isaw the "daddy dropping of Waitrose shopping in his Porsche..." part I gave up on it a bit. Obviously there are better off people here, and there will be at any uni - especially those in the Russell Group etc. However, I know a LOT of people here on serious benefits, and many people like myself who are absolutely scraping by and are far worse off than those on lots of benefits - because our household income is too high to get much, but too low to actually be able to support a family at home and a student at uni. C'est la via I suppose.
Reply 99
hey bren, could you tell us the number of en suites left in catered accomodation?

Latest

Trending

Trending