More than smart wheels insurance cancelled

Watch
rm5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone. I don't know what to do in this situation.

More than texted me today saying that they are going to cancel my insurance in 7 days (Jan 4th) due to excessive speeding. They kept sending me warnings but I ignored them because going 23 in a 20 or 75 in a 70 is not an issue in my book yet more than seem to be cancelling insurances left right and centre leaving young people screwed for driving for life.

If I was to call tomorrow and cancel it myself. I won't have to declare that I've had insurance cancelled by the company. Right? Would this work or is it too late?

Really don't know what to do now. Just checked to see how much a new policy is. £4700. Absolutely ridiculous. I've also read that a middle aged man had his insurance cancelled about 15 years back and yet his insurance is still 4 times what it should be.

I really don't want to give up driving but it looks like Im gonna have to. I shouldve looked at smart wheels reviews before I took out a policy with them and realised how sensitive their box is.

Thanks for viewing

Richard

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts
If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
rm5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Forgot to mention. I'm 19 and I'm a bus driver
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rm5)
Hello everyone. I don't know what to do in this situation.

More than texted me today saying that they are going to cancel my insurance in 7 days (Jan 4th) due to excessive speeding. They kept sending me warnings but I ignored them because going 23 in a 20 or 75 in a 70 is not an issue in my book yet more than seem to be cancelling insurances left right and centre leaving young people screwed for driving for life.

If I was to call tomorrow and cancel it myself. I won't have to declare that I've had insurance cancelled by the company. Right? Would this work or is it too late?

Really don't know what to do now. Just checked to see how much a new policy is. £4700. Absolutely ridiculous. I've also read that a middle aged man had his insurance cancelled about 15 years back and yet his insurance is still 4 times what it should be.

I really don't want to give up driving but it looks like Im gonna have to. I shouldve looked at smart wheels reviews before I took out a policy with them and realised how sensitive their box is.

Thanks for viewing

Richard
I don't think you could get around it like that, to be honest. You took the risk, and it didn't pay off.

The thing is, you're quoting 75 in a 70 zone - given speedo tolerances, you wouldn't have been doing over the speed limit according to GPS. You simply must have been going much much faster to overcome both the tolerances of your speedo, and their grace allowances. Probably 80+ in 70 zones, I'd hazard.

With the greatest of respect, this is a problem of your own making, and you must face the consequences.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I somehow don't trust your OP. Sorry. MoreThan and Ingenie are notorious for having two of the most sensitive boxes, but until you start speeding around schools and consistently do 60 in a 40 every single day; they'll dip your score - but otherwise turn a blind eye to it. I mean you need to break the limit by like 30 MPH to get a cancellation (it's probably in your terms). You've had numerous warnings and chosen to ignore them, even for arguments sake you were constantly 3mph over and got several black warnings or w.e their equivelant is, idk about you but I'd be camping 3-5mph under the limit until it blows over; to save the money if nothing else. I'm surrounded by apprentices (being a 2nd year myself) and it seems I am literally the black sheep - they all had MoreThan in their first years (which for them - would be last year, I'm in my first insurance year now) and they said they hated it, but they said for the most part when it came to slight (we're talking a few mph) speeding the box didn't seem to care.

And no - even if you call them tomorrow and end it there - they've already cancelled your insurance, they've just shown you the telematics industry standard common courtesy of giving you a week to either go find somewhere else, or get your car off the road. This is a gamble we take when we choose to pay less for our boxes, you stretched that gamble further than you should of and these are the consequences.

Good luck (your best bit at this point is to go and get direct quotes from people who specifically deal with drivers who've had their policies cancelled and hope for the best, but it'll be a lot)
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As IWMTom pointed out, there's leniency with the boxes, due to inaccuracies with GPS, so you must've been going over the speeds you told us.

You'll have to pay the consequences for your actions, you know full well you shouldn't have been speeding, end of.

Spoiler:
Show

Especially with a black box :lol:
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't listen to all the unhelpful comments. Call them saying you want to cancel before they do, I have read many stories of black box companies actually allowing this.
Arjun99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should have gone with Tesco Bank box. They check two things. Your mileage and if you go over 100 mph
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rm5)
Forgot to mention. I'm 19 and I'm a bus driver
So you have a category D entitlement on your licence and you are under 24.

Yeah, right.

Troll.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
So you have a category D entitlement on your licence and you are under 24.

Yeah, right.

Troll.
He could have a PCV licence which you can have from 18. However, he could still be a troll.
Fresher18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of my friends had this happen to him however they said that if you cancel your insurance before they do then it’s not flagged as you’ve personally had it cancelled by the insurer (so you don’t need to click I’ve had my insurance cancelled) but they were not allowed to be insured by anyone owned by the same parent company/insurer. He found that non black box policies were virtually his only option with benefits being that he won’t have it cancelled for speeding.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rm5)
You were saying?
Perhaps not a super good idea to post your signature and full name on TSR, along with a photograph and your date of birth.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At this stage you've got nothing to lose by cancelling your policy before they cancel it for you. If I were in that situation I'd probably not declare a cancelled policy when getting quotes but ring the insurance company (either before taking out the policy or as soon as it's been paid for) and explain what happened, just to make sure it doesn't get raised as an issue later.
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
declare a cancelled policy when getting quotes
A cancelled policy via insurer is exactly that, regardless of what it was for. "Explaining it" to a broker won't make the underwriter's reassess the risk differently. Also, some quotes will only come up for those who've never had a policy cancelled or terms imposed, so not only is it misleading, but not declaring it and then taking out a policy amounts to fraud, please do not do this.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nevershear)
A cancelled policy via insurer is exactly that, regardless of what it was for. "Explaining it" to a broker won't make the underwriter's reassess the risk differently. Also, some quotes will only come up for those who've never had a policy cancelled or terms imposed, so not only is it misleading, but not declaring it and then taking out a policy amounts to fraud, please do not do this.
The insurance company have said they will cancel it in 7 days. If the policyholder cancels it before then the policy should be recorded as cancelled by the policyholder rather than the insurer, so it's accurate to declare no cancelled policy. However, I would want to make sure the insurance company see things the same way.

My insurance company once told me they were cancelling my insurance because I hadn't replied to their request for a copy of my V5 and licence (the request was lost in the post). I sorted that out and the policy wasn't cancelled, but I had the same notice from the insurance company that they were going to cancel my cover - are you going to tell me I should declare a cancelled policy?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The insurance company have said they will cancel it in 7 days. If the policyholder cancels it before then the policy should be recorded as cancelled by the policyholder rather than the insurer, so it's accurate to declare no cancelled policy. However, I would want to make sure the insurance company see things the same way.

My insurance company once told me they were cancelling my insurance because I hadn't replied to their request for a copy of my V5 and licence (the request was lost in the post). I sorted that out and the policy wasn't cancelled, but I had the same notice from the insurance company that they were going to cancel my cover - are you going to tell me I should declare a cancelled policy?
I think the confusion here is due to the fact it wasn't immediately obvious you meant prior to actual cancellation - I'll be honest, I did read your initial post with a bit of confusion, however it does make sense now.
7483ash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am having the same problem with more than as the original post. my policy gets cancelled on the 24th so 2 days, if I cancel right now it will be that I have cancelled it right?
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 7483ash)
I am having the same problem with more than as the original post. my policy gets cancelled on the 24th so 2 days, if I cancel right now it will be that I have cancelled it right?
No - they still cancelled it, you would just be ending your cover early.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No - they still cancelled it, you would just be ending your cover early.
The insurer can't cancel an inactive policy.
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The insurer can't cancel an inactive policy.
Your cancellation goes on the MIB as soon as it's (notice is) issued.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your cancellation goes on the MIB as soon as it's (notice is) issued.
If the policy is still active, how can it be marked as cancelled on the MID?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (56)
15.73%
I'm not sure (10)
2.81%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.27%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.69%
I'm not a current university student (162)
45.51%

Watched Threads