The Student Room Group

More than smart wheels insurance cancelled

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
If the policy is still active, how can it be marked as cancelled on the MID?

*MID

"Notice for cancellation issued" is the citation. Whether that specifically has to be declared however, I don't know - I assumed it did.
Original post by nevershear
Your cancellation goes on the MIB as soon as it's (notice is) issued.

Where are you getting this information from? I've had a cancellation notice (for a different, resolvable reason) but either it's not on the database or three insurers missed it when I was renewing...

Realistically in this kind of situation there's nothing to lose by cancelling early. It seems reasonable to assume that if the policyholder cancels the policy it's not recorded as cancelled by the insurer, but clearly it would be stupid not to confirm this when taking out another policy.
Original post by CurlyBen
Where are you getting this information from? I've had a cancellation notice (for a different, resolvable reason) but either it's not on the database or three insurers missed it when I was renewing...

Realistically in this kind of situation there's nothing to lose by cancelling early. It seems reasonable to assume that if the policyholder cancels the policy it's not recorded as cancelled by the insurer, but clearly it would be stupid not to confirm this when taking out another policy.

Potentially the case, or it's something that wouldn't prevent them providing cover. Would definitely agree with the bold though.
Original post by nevershear
Potentially the case, or it's something that wouldn't prevent them providing cover. Would definitely agree with the bold though.

I should note that my policy wasn't cancelled (in my case a letter asking for some documents hadn't been delivered, when I received the notice I provided the documents and it went away), but I received a notice of cancellation yet have no reason to believe that any insurer has considered me to have had a policy cancelled - because I haven't!
Original post by CurlyBen
I should note that my policy wasn't cancelled (in my case a letter asking for some documents hadn't been delivered, when I received the notice I provided the documents and it went away), but I received a notice of cancellation yet have no reason to believe that any insurer has considered me to have had a policy cancelled - because I haven't!

Ah, this is a slightly different case, they (the insurer) can rescind the cancellation notice if you resolve it, which comes off your record. Your previous point still stands, but I'm more talking about those who've been given notice due to not declaring something on the start of their policy, getting notice for violating terms on a black box etc. Things you don't get out of.
I had notice of cancellation from more than smart wheels. As I didn’t get my box fitted in time. So I had the idea, if I cancel first then I wouldn’t need to declare that ived have cancelled insurance. They did that, and then I took out insurance with them a week later.
How many warnings did you get?
Original post by Kearan199717
How many warnings did you get?

"Last Activity 31-12-2017"
You're piggybacking off a thread where the OP is unlikely to ever look again.

PS: It's usually like 3, or none if you screw up enough.
How many warnings did you get? I’ve had two messages to say I was speeding so far
Reply 29
Original post by Reece4355
How many warnings did you get? I’ve had two messages to say I was speeding so far

You won't get another.
DO NOT insure your car with MoreThan! My son faces his policy being cancelled in 7 days after just two speeding warnings, with MoreThan claiming speeds in excess of 50 mph in 30 mph zones yet he sweared he was doing under the speed on both occasions. His dashcam proved he was doing under 30 on both times but MoreThan were not interested in even discussing this - they claim their black boxes do not make errors. Yeah, right!

They also claim he was travelling at 31 mph in a 30 mph on two separate occasions...out of order!!

So now faced with getting just 58% of the policy money back by cancelling it before they do. I will be writing a formal complaint - the way they have treated someone very inexperienced with dealing with such serious matters is appalling. Yes, if you have your policy cancelled you will face a very expensive bill to get insurance again!

Taking out this policy was a big mistake - let's face it, everyone speeds but it's how excessive it is and when it is that makes a difference. I'm not advocating speeding is acceptable at any time here - just it is easy to slip a few mph over the limit whether we're best drivers in the world or just starting out. I want my son to drive within the limit but imposing such a pedantic policy makes me think a lot of young drivers are going to find themselves without insurance very quickly if they go with MoreThan.

And I think MoreThan knows this and is seeing this as a way to make a quick buck by being the cheapest provider of new driver policies out there. My son will lose £600 cancelling his policy himself to avoid having the policy cancelled by MoreThan....what a great way for these sharks to make money. So you have be warned - go with other providers who may be more expensive but take a slightly more lenient view on new drivers...and are prepared to accept that their black box might not actually be working properly sometimes!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by BrokeParent
DO NOT insure your car with MoreThan! My son faces his policy being cancelled in 7 days after just two speeding warnings, with MoreThan claiming speeds in excess of 50 mph in 30 mph zones yet he sweared he was doing under the speed on both occasions. His dashcam proved he was doing under 30 on both times but MoreThan were not interested in even discussing this - they claim their black boxes do not make errors. Yeah, right!

They also claim he was travelling at 31 mph in a 30 mph on two separate occasions...out of order!!

So now faced with getting just 58% of the policy money back by cancelling it before they do. I will be writing a formal complaint - the way they have treated someone very inexperienced with dealing with such serious matters is appalling. Yes, if you have your policy cancelled you will face a very expensive bill to get insurance again!

Taking out this policy was a big mistake - let's face it, everyone speeds but it's how excessive it is and when it is that makes a difference. I'm not advocating speeding is acceptable at any time here - just it is easy to slip a few mph over the limit whether we're best drivers in the world or just starting out. I want my son to drive within the limit but imposing such a pedantic policy makes me think a lot of young drivers are going to find themselves without insurance very quickly if they go with MoreThan.

And I think MoreThan knows this and is seeing this as a way to make a quick buck by being the cheapest provider of new driver policies out there. My son will lose £600 cancelling his policy himself to avoid having the policy cancelled by MoreThan....what a great way for these sharks to make money. So you have be warned - go with other providers who may be more expensive but take a slightly more lenient view on new drivers...and are prepared to accept that their black box might not actually be working properly sometimes!

Don't cheap out next time?
Cheap out may be how some would view this but in the case of MORE TH>N they are providing a service that’s not actually fit for purpose. You cannot legitimately provide insurance then use unreliable data to cancel it, knowing full well that policy holders will receive very little of their premium back and stop them insuring again without excessive charges. I don’t consider £1258 cheap insurance and only £729 refund after 5 weeks of driving good value. MORE TH>N isn’t providing cheap insurance, it’s providing a service that it knows a high percentage of its policy holders will either have to cancel or be cancelled thus making a big profit. Their SM>RT WHEELS policies are simply a clever exercise in underwriting high risk inexperienced drivers.
Reply 33
Original post by BrokeParent
Cheap out may be how some would view this but in the case of MORE TH>N they are providing a service that’s not actually fit for purpose. You cannot legitimately provide insurance then use unreliable data to cancel it, knowing full well that policy holders will receive very little of their premium back and stop them insuring again without excessive charges. I don’t consider £1258 cheap insurance and only £729 refund after 5 weeks of driving good value. MORE TH>N isn’t providing cheap insurance, it’s providing a service that it knows a high percentage of its policy holders will either have to cancel or be cancelled thus making a big profit. Their SM>RT WHEELS policies are simply a clever exercise in underwriting high risk inexperienced drivers.

You should have done your research; all telematics policies have their downfalls. At the end of the day, you went for the cheap option (in comparison to other policies) and got bit in the backside.

Take it on the chin and don't make the same mistake again.
imagine being such an arse about something that isn't her fault. It's not a cheap option, and even if it is, they still shouldn't cancel it for doing 31 in a 30. Your comments added nothing to this thread.
Reply 35
Original post by sickofmiseryguts
imagine being such an arse about something that isn't her fault. It's not a cheap option, and even if it is, they still shouldn't cancel it for doing 31 in a 30. Your comments added nothing to this thread.

It is though.. :laugh:
Band out of order what happened after all my son just had on on today with smart wheels 🤦*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending