EdgarAllenPwn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
-Do Medicine. I came to this conclusion this month after deliberating for years on what to do next and generally being lost. I've always wanted to do something in Healthcare.

-Hi, Age: 25 and in a cuunundrum, I don't have chemistry.

-My A levels : Biology (A) German (A) History (B) and AS Maths (b).
-I chose Law at Uni, however I realised it was a mistake and it didn't work out for me.

-1st option = 1 year intensive chemistry (AQA/Edexcel or OCR?) and apply for Medicine entry for 2019.

-2nd option do an Access to Medicine course. Which would be better ? Or is it better to ask each Uni for it. I am aware the competition is high and I'm up against the odds..

Or would it be better to do a science degree in Europe from September 2018 and reasses my options ? Biomed is my 3rd option yet again I lack Chemistry (A level choices really came to bite me back).

-Currently haven't applied to any courses in UCAS. Aiming to get a job in the NHS to get experience in a medical setting.

Really confused right now, would appreciate any and all advice !
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EdgarAllenPwn)
-Do Medicine. I came to this conclusion this month after deliberating for years on what to do next and generally being lost. I've always wanted to do something in Healthcare.

-Hi, Age: 25 and in a cuunundrum, I don't have chemistry.

-My A levels : Biology (A) German (A) History (B) and AS Maths (b).
-I chose Law at Uni, however I realised it was a mistake and it didn't work out for me.

-1st option = 1 year intensive chemistry (AQA/Edexcel or OCR?) and apply for Medicine entry for 2019.

-2nd option do an Access to Medicine course. Which would be better ? Or is it better to ask each Uni for it. I am aware the competition is high and I'm up against the odds..

Or would it be better to do a science degree in Europe from September 2018 and reasses my options ? Biomed is my 3rd option yet again I lack Chemistry (A level choices really came to bite me back).

-Currently haven't applied to any courses in UCAS. Aiming to get a job in the NHS to get experience in a medical setting.

Really confused right now, would appreciate any and all advice !
If you haven't already, I suggest you look in the Medicine forum - there is a LOT of information there, use the search function to find the answers to questions.

Not an expert in medicine by any means, but I think med schools in general prefer A levels to Access to Medicine courses. There are a few Access to Medicine courses dotted around the country with good track records e.g. the College of West Anglia's course. I suggest you contact universities directly and ask if they can recommend any Access to Medicine courses (or, if they don't recommend individual courses, ask what - if any - Access courses recent successful applicants have done). If you don't live near a well-established Access to Medicine course, then I think A levels plus work experience is your best bet.

Why would you do a science degree in Europe, out of interest?
EdgarAllenPwn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If you haven't already, I suggest you look in the Medicine forum - there is a LOT of information there, use the search function to find the answers to questions.

Not an expert in medicine by any means, but I think med schools in general prefer A levels to Access to Medicine courses. There are a few Access to Medicine courses dotted around the country with good track records e.g. the College of West Anglia's course. I suggest you contact universities directly and ask if they can recommend any Access to Medicine courses (or, if they don't recommend individual courses, ask what - if any - Access courses recent successful applicants have done). If you don't live near a well-established Access to Medicine course, then I think A levels plus work experience is your best bet.

Why would you do a science degree in Europe, out of interest?
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate the detailed answer !

Yeah, I agree, I was leaning towards Work experience and A Level.

Re : Science degree - I love science overall and how it relates to Human Health (+Ethics, Nutrition, Psychology that come with it). Just confused as how to I translate that over to my career right now and Medicine appeals to me the most, that's why I was thinking perhaps a science degree (something like this
https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/...ence-programme)
and then graduate entry would be better. Thanks for the help.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EdgarAllenPwn)
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate the detailed answer !

Yeah, I agree, I was leaning towards Work experience and A Level.

Re : Science degree - I love science overall and how it relates to Human Health (+Ethics, Nutrition, Psychology that come with it). Just confused as how to I translate that over to my career right now and Medicine appeals to me the most, that's why I was thinking perhaps a science degree (something like this
https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/...ence-programme)
and then graduate entry would be better. Thanks for the help.
Sure, I understand why you might want to do a science degree and then apply for graduate entry medicine, but why in Europe and not the UK? It's not a bad idea by any means, apply for both and see what happens. If you don't get into medicine then you have a back up plan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads