The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Occupational Therapy 2018 Interview

Hey everyone,

I’ve received an interview for occupational therapy in 2018 and I was just wondering what format is the interview (like multiple students together or single student etc.) I’m not familiar with the interview process in the UK at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hiya,

Hope this reply's not too late (and/or too lengthy hahaha)! I received all of my invitations and have had interviews at my favourite two (Bristol UWE and Coventry)- so I'm kinda familiar with the process. You should be sent (probably via email or uni specific portal [if the university has one]) information about the format of the day/what to expect- but I've typed a wittle bit to give you an idea...

Generally speaking, interview days consist of a group task/discussion and individual interview (although, Coventry also had a written task too.)

They're nothing major as a whole- the tasks were generally centred around a newspaper extract or video (generally related to OT) and involved answering a couple of questions. They aim to gain a feel for you as a person- your working/thinking style, as opposed to checking your technical knowledge (although, it doesn't hurt to good to add in a bit of your knowledge, too.)

Sometimes group tasks could be more like team building exercises (ie, having to construct something together, as a team) so staff members could see how you work within groups. I found that group numbers were usually around 4-5 other interviewees- and that everyone was really friendly :smile:

Individual interviews generally lasted about 5-10 minutes and involved the usual questions about why you chose OT, what qualities are important in an OT, etc as well as scenario based questions (what have you done in the past when.. or what would you do if...) Either way, you'll be well prepared- it's more about your character and examples of how you showed each characteristic.

Good luck with your interviews! I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin:
Hey there!
I recently had my interview with UWE and I've never felt so relaxed in an interview for University! We first had around half an hour being introduced to current students, we got to ask them questions and we got to know the other applicants. Then, a member of the lecturing team will come around and explain the dy to you! We had a group activity which we were given an article about an OT travelling to India, which we had to pick apart like a comprehension, but instead of interperating our annotations into an essay like you would in English, you had to present them in a discussion with the other people in your group (usually 3 groups) and a senior member of lecture staff along with a service user. Whilst you are working on the article, individuals are taken away to their individul interview in which you are asked questions such as 'When have you worked as part of a team?' or 'When have you had to do something which you didn't want to do?'. The questions are generally simple and easy to answer so you shouldn't struggle with that too much!

TIPS:
Individual Interview

- Appear confident, even if your are nervous just fake it!
- Take a bottle of water with you and take a sip of water... this gives you that little bit of extra time to think about your answers.
- When you give your answers, try and make them relevant to OT. Even if they're just silly things like when you work in a restaurant, try to make yourself look good whilst making yourself look compassionate and caring like an OT.
- DON'T PANIC

Group Activity

- Take some time to get comfortable with your group members, you may have to rely on them later on in the interview.
- No matter how silly you think the point is, MAKE IT!
- DO NOT BE QUIET, even if your team member is making the best of points, make sure you are also getting your own points across without being rude or interupting
- DON'T PANIC, the group activity is much more relaxed, its just you, your group members and the two interviewers. Nothing major!

Hope this helps!
Where are you applying?

Sophie:h:xxx
Reply 4
Original post by DontcalmeSkaface
Hiya,

Hope this reply's not too late (and/or too lengthy hahaha)! I received all of my invitations and have had interviews at my favourite two (Bristol UWE and Coventry)- so I'm kinda familiar with the process. You should be sent (probably via email or uni specific portal [if the university has one]) information about the format of the day/what to expect- but I've typed a wittle bit to give you an idea...

Generally speaking, interview days consist of a group task/discussion and individual interview (although, Coventry also had a written task too.)

They're nothing major as a whole- the tasks were generally centred around a newspaper extract or video (generally related to OT) and involved answering a couple of questions. They aim to gain a feel for you as a person- your working/thinking style, as opposed to checking your technical knowledge (although, it doesn't hurt to good to add in a bit of your knowledge, too.)

Sometimes group tasks could be more like team building exercises (ie, having to construct something together, as a team) so staff members could see how you work within groups. I found that group numbers were usually around 4-5 other interviewees- and that everyone was really friendly :smile:

Individual interviews generally lasted about 5-10 minutes and involved the usual questions about why you chose OT, what qualities are important in an OT, etc as well as scenario based questions (what have you done in the past when.. or what would you do if...) Either way, you'll be well prepared- it's more about your character and examples of how you showed each characteristic.

Good luck with your interviews! I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin:

Can you share what's the written task at Coventry is like? What is it about? Is it difficult?
Thxxx
Original post by Unis53
Can you share what's the written task at Coventry is like? What is it about? Is it difficult?
Thxxx

Heya,

Nah, I wouldn't say it's difficult- honestly, you'll be fine :biggrin:

The written task takes less than half an hour and relates to a video clip (generally centred around a service user's experience), there's not many questions- plus with it being timed you don't have to go into too much detail. It's more of a personal response kinda thing; the questions I had related to disability, the perception and treatment of people with disabilities and what the term 'disabled' meant to me.

It's likely you'll have something similar; best tip(s) I could give ya would be keep an eye on the time (if you're a waffler like me hahaa) and think about your honest response/how you can effectively express it (alongside a reason why if you can!)

All the best!
Original post by sophieroot3
Hey there!
I recently had my interview with UWE and I've never felt so relaxed in an interview for University! We first had around half an hour being introduced to current students, we got to ask them questions and we got to know the other applicants. Then, a member of the lecturing team will come around and explain the dy to you! We had a group activity which we were given an article about an OT travelling to India, which we had to pick apart like a comprehension, but instead of interperating our annotations into an essay like you would in English, you had to present them in a discussion with the other people in your group (usually 3 groups) and a senior member of lecture staff along with a service user. Whilst you are working on the article, individuals are taken away to their individul interview in which you are asked questions such as 'When have you worked as part of a team?' or 'When have you had to do something which you didn't want to do?'. The questions are generally simple and easy to answer so you shouldn't struggle with that too much!

TIPS:
Individual Interview

- Appear confident, even if your are nervous just fake it!
- Take a bottle of water with you and take a sip of water... this gives you that little bit of extra time to think about your answers.
- When you give your answers, try and make them relevant to OT. Even if they're just silly things like when you work in a restaurant, try to make yourself look good whilst making yourself look compassionate and caring like an OT.
- DON'T PANIC

Group Activity

- Take some time to get comfortable with your group members, you may have to rely on them later on in the interview.
- No matter how silly you think the point is, MAKE IT!
- DO NOT BE QUIET, even if your team member is making the best of points, make sure you are also getting your own points across without being rude or interupting
- DON'T PANIC, the group activity is much more relaxed, its just you, your group members and the two interviewers. Nothing major!

Hope this helps!
Where are you applying?

Sophie:h:xxx

Hey Sophie,

I have an interview tomorrow at uwe for OT. Do you have any more tips - I’m super nervous!
Also, were you asked about the 6 C’s of the NHS?
Thanks,
Harriet x
Hi Sophie, did you get offered a place at UWE?
Yesss! Its my firm choice!
Reply 9
Hi all,i have an interview for OT course at university of Brighton and am super nervous. wish me luck
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by zitha
Hi all,i have an interview for OT course at university of Brighton and am super nervous. wish me luck

Hey Zitha, how did it go? what questions were asked? I have a Skype interview very soon and I'm super nervous! Thanks
Reply 11
I too have a skype interview this week, no idea what to even prepare for
Reply 12
Original post by Godis
I too have a skype interview this week, no idea what to even prepare for

Hi I know this was a post from a while ago I wanted to know how it interview went ? I have one also and am super nervous :smile:

Quick Reply