The Student Room Group

Biomedical Sciences 2018 Sheffield Hallam Uni/Uni of Sheffield, Which is better?

Hi guys,

Has anyone here firmed/2nd choiced/considering Biomedical Sciences (with placement) at Sheffield Hallam University?

I have offers from both University of Sheffield (NOT IBMS ACCREDITED) and Sheffield Hallam University (IBMS ACCREDITED) for Biomedical Sciences.

Now I have a problem. Shall I go for the IBMS accredited course at the lower ranked Sheffield Hallam or the non accredited degree at Uni of Sheffield?

Which course has better job prospects? Which Course will allow me to have a higher chance of securing a job? (both with 2.1 or 1st)
Which one will allow me to have wider options of careers as I'm not 100% sure yet what I want to do in the future (Biomedical Scientist is the obvious one)

(I want to do Graduate Medicine if I get a 1st, I will also apply for the NHS STP programme too at the same time)

I hope somoene can help me out.

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Uni of Sheffield is Russel group which is something to take into account
Are you wanting to be a Biomedical Scientist after your degree?
Reply 3
Original post by TraineeBMS
Are you wanting to be a Biomedical Scientist after your degree?

Hi TraineeBMS.

I am not 100% sure yet. If I get a 2.1 or above I will 100% apply for Graduate Medicine and the STP programme. If I get in despite the odds then great. If I don't then I'm not sure what to do afterwards.
With the IBMS accredited degree at Sheffield Hallam, I know that I have a chance of becoming a biomedical scientist in the NHS bands 5 (if i get the appropriate placement). On the other hand, with the Biomed Degree at Uni Of Sheffield I have no clue what careers/job I can get with it. The only one I can think of is further education and researching somewhere.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Reply 4
I applied for Sheffield Hallam, I enjoyed my visit to the University and liked what they had to offer.
Original post by Haider98
Hi TraineeBMS.

I am not 100% sure yet. If I get a 2.1 or above I will 100% apply for Graduate Medicine and the STP programme. If I get in despite the odds then great. If I don't then I'm not sure what to do afterwards.
With the IBMS accredited degree at Sheffield Hallam, I know that I have a chance of becoming a biomedical scientist in the NHS bands 5 (if i get the appropriate placement). On the other hand, with the Biomed Degree at Uni Of Sheffield I have no clue what careers/job I can get with it. The only one I can think of is further education and researching somewhere.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

If you do decide you want to be a Biomedical Scientist then your best route is via the BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) course. Not sure if the Sheffield Universities run it.

http://www.nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/ptp-join/nhs-practitioner-training-programme/university-providers

Note, only the Life Science variation applies to being a BMS.
Reply 6
I'm on the same boat as you. I've applied to Hallam for Biomedical Science as my firm choice, then I want to do the 4 year grad Med course at Nottingham.
On the open day the head of Biomed told me that they have a couple of people who go on to do Medicine at graduate level every year and can provide promising placemenets for people in the 3rd year with the experience they need for Medicine e.g haemotology paid experience, this is helpful because many graduate courses require a certain amount of expereince with patients. Overall I'd say Hallam is great as if you don't get in to Medicine and don't want to improve and apply again then you can become a physician associate with a 2 year degree which is like a Doctor or a Biomedical Scientist.
Reply 7
Original post by sanaa17
I'm on the same boat as you. I've applied to Hallam for Biomedical Science as my firm choice, then I want to do the 4 year grad Med course at Nottingham.
On the open day the head of Biomed told me that they have a couple of people who go on to do Medicine at graduate level every year and can provide promising placemenets for people in the 3rd year with the experience they need for Medicine e.g haemotology paid experience, this is helpful because many graduate courses require a certain amount of expereince with patients. Overall I'd say Hallam is great as if you don't get in to Medicine and don't want to improve and apply again then you can become a physician associate with a 2 year degree which is like a Doctor or a Biomedical Scientist.

Wow I want to do the same too. I'm hoping to also get into grad med in Nottingham 😁. Will you be coming to Hallam this September? Will you stay in accomodation?
Reply 8
hiyaaa yes I have an unconditional offer for Biomed at Hallam😁...I won't be staying in accomodation tho :smile: good luck ! 👍👍
Reply 9
Got conditional offer at hallam. On 2 minds radiography or biomedical 🤦*♂️🤣 anyone else got offer for Hallam
Original post by 0770
Got conditional offer at hallam. On 2 minds radiography or biomedical 🤦*♂️🤣 anyone else got offer for Hallam

By the fact you're considering Radiography, I'd assume you're considering NHS options in relation to Biomedical Science? Are you aware that BSc Biomedical Science is quite a drawn out route into that career if you are considering it?
Reply 11
@RegisteredBMS I applied for radiography, but I put biomedical as a last random choice and somehow got in, because it’s in my city. And what do you mean by drawn out route?
Original post by 0770
@RegisteredBMS I applied for radiography, but I put biomedical as a last random choice and somehow got in, because it’s in my city. And what do you mean by drawn out route?

It's ok if you're not looking at that career it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending