The Student Room Group

Females only...

My periods are a bit of mess right now - they are always 10-13 days earlier than normal. It used to be normal and I would get alot of cramps. Bleeding was heavier on the first and second day and it would gradually go down and end on the 6th day.
Now I get spotting on the first 2 days on and off but it's very thick and sticky. First time I saw that I didn't think I was on my period because it had only been about a week since my last period ended. I had no pain, no cramps. Except the few odd sharp pains but that was rare too. I am happy that I didn't but it doesn't seem normal to me.. And also they are 8 days longer now.

I wasn't concerned before because i just thought it was stress but it's the third time today that it's happened - each time it was exactly the same:
13 days earlier - spotting
3rd day - bleeds heavier, like normal period
No pain and cramps, except once or twice.
Longer and of a thicker consistency
So I am wondering why??

Sorry if it's too detailed...thankyou for taking the time to read!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
hi there. I would pop down to the doctor if I were you. it might be nothing but it is always safe to check
See your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by LunaCat
My periods are a bit of mess right now - they are always 10-13 days earlier than normal. It used to be normal and I would get alot of cramps. Bleeding was heavier on the first and second day and it would gradually go down and end on the 6th day.
Now I get spotting on the first 2 days on and off but it's very thick and sticky. First time I saw that I didn't think I was on my period because it had only been about a week since my last period ended. I had no pain, no cramps. Except the few odd sharp pains but that was rare too. I am happy that I didn't but it doesn't seem normal to me.. And also they are 8 days longer now.

I wasn't concerned before because i just thought it was stress but it's the third time today that it's happened - each time it was exactly the same:
13 days earlier - spotting
3rd day - bleeds heavier, like normal period
No pain and cramps, except once or twice.
Longer and of a thicker consistency
So I am wondering why??

Sorry if it's too detailed...thankyou for taking the time to read!

Might be worth discussing it with your doctor. It could just be your cycle changing as you get older or with stress etc, but there are a couple of bits that could be an indicator of a bit of an issue.
I wouldn't worry about it though. Periods can vary a lot even with the same person and there are a simple explanations behind a lot of concerning things.
Your doc can check things out and make sure everything is fine so you don't have to worry and could also give you some options for if you wanted to try changing things to make it more comfortable.
Id say go to your doctor just to make sure, but it's probably nothing considering it can be affected by things like stress but always better safe than sorry
Yeah as everyone said I would advise you to go to your doctor or speak to your mum or another female that you trust about it. The doctor might be able to put you on a type of the pill that will make your period more regular and lighter
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Might be worth discussing it with your doctor. It could just be your cycle changing as you get older or with stress etc, but there are a couple of bits that could be an indicator of a bit of an issue.
I wouldn't worry about it though. Periods can vary a lot even with the same person and there are a simple explanations behind a lot of concerning things.
Your doc can check things out and make sure everything is fine so you don't have to worry and could also give you some options for if you wanted to try changing things to make it more comfortable.

Which 'couple of bits' are an indicator of an issue exactly?

I am considering going to the doctor, thought I'd wait for another cycle and see what happens.

Thankyou x
Reply 7
Original post by LunaCat
Which 'couple of bits' are an indicator of an issue exactly?

I am considering going to the doctor, thought I'd wait for another cycle and see what happens.

Thankyou x

Thicker blood (depending on how thick) can be a concern and the short time between some of your periods can also be an issue.

Bare in mind that just means it's stuff I know it's worth seeing a doctor over, it does not mean it's something you should be worrying about.
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Thicker blood (depending on how thick) can be a concern and the short time between some of your periods can also be an issue.

Bare in mind that just means it's stuff I know it's worth seeing a doctor over, it does not mean it's something you should be worrying about.

Thankyou, thay was useful!
Reply 9
Got an appointment. Hate how the receptionist makes it seem like it's nothing

Quick Reply

Latest