Why do so many men exaggerate their height? Watch

theantiparticle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you consider sexual selection and the fact that men and women tend toward certain body types among other things when picking a partner (for evolutionary reasons). Of course, there are many criteria which aren't anatomical that are favourably selected for such as intelligence etc which you should try and improve on (if possible) if you cannot change the physical.

I was not aware that short men lying about their height was such a common thing, I am however not surprised. There are other behaviours that can be considered "false advertising" or "lying" to the potential mate that is common. You can see these all the time, men do things like wear tight fitting shirts to appear more muscular and women wear makeup to appear more youthful or wear clothes to emphasise their breasts to make them appear larger. If men do indeed wear shoe inserts to make them appear taller, this could also be to with there appearance and competition with other males, perhaps they feel that if they appear taller then other men will give them more respect.

The sort of behaviour described above is by no means original to the human species, you can observe the “false advertising” strategy in many other species. There is a good reason it is around as well as its one way of getting ahead of your competitors in the mating game.

Biology or phycology are not my fields and I am sure that somebody else on the forum knows much more than I do. I would appreciate it if they would correct me or explain further.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd never exaggerate my height, and I'm only 8ft 9in tall.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because they're insecure manlets seeking social validation when they don't deserve it.
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Because they're insecure manlets seeking social validation when they don't deserve it.
Tad harsh much. Frame trumps height, within reason of course
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheFarmerLad)
Tad harsh much. Frame trumps height, within reason of course
Yeah, but manlet muscles don't count. It is not difficult to fill out your little arms.
ParkHyungSuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently 19 and attending uni. I am about average height at 5'6 (168cm) and virtually every guy that has ever told me his height has added an inch or two. The problem for me is that when I find out their actual height, I feel lied to and almost violated. The worst is when guys wear shoe height inserts since it is essentially "false advertising" and it totally turns me off when we are about to get naughty and he takes his shoes off and I find out the 5'10 hunk is more like a 5'7 little brother. Honestly, this whole thing screams insecurity.

Why are so many guys willing to start a relationship on a lie?
Let's not talk absolute rubbish now about men lying about their looks:

1.Corsets
2.Extensions
3.FAKEUP
4.skin lightening creams
5.Fake tans
5.Heels
6.Contacts
7.Fake eyelashes
8.Fake eyebrows
9.Padded bras
10.Dyeing hair

I have no idea how someone could call out guys for lying about their height, calling it false advertising when they lie about so much more. Such hypocrisy. I'm not even a short guy but things like this piss me off http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...1_3386247b.jpg

Same people who do what I mentioned above ^ complaining about guys being short.
TheFarmerLad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Yeah, but manlet muscles don't count. It is not difficult to fill out your little arms.
I'm talking natural frame, ie bone structure maybe muscle insertion points. It's pretty easy to tell natural muscle from overdone gym muscle.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently 19 and attending uni. I am about average height at 5'6 (168cm) and virtually every guy that has ever told me his height has added an inch or two. The problem for me is that when I find out their actual height, I feel lied to and almost violated. The worst is when guys wear shoe height inserts since it is essentially "false advertising" and it totally turns me off when we are about to get naughty and he takes his shoes off and I find out the 5'10 hunk is more like a 5'7 little brother. Honestly, this whole thing screams insecurity.

Wow, this post is so true. I also find that guys never tell the truth about their height, they always add an inch or two, so I don't even bother asking. If a guy is 5'9, he would usually say he is 6'0, lol.
slider2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manlets gonna manlet
Xopher_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mannn I swear I'm 6'3 and when I wear boots it's like 6'4, but I say I'm 6'2 because that's too tall :/ I never knew people lied about their height.
username3590460
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Midgets will always be midgets.
applesforme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it totally turns me off when we are about to get naughty and he takes his shoes off and I find out the 5'10 hunk is more like a 5'7 little brother
how about keep the shoes on when things get naughty? but seriously, are you saying you get naughty with guys the first time they come over or every other time they came over they didnt have the manners to take their shoes off...something not making sense here.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
>Calls 5'7'' guy, "little brother"

>Wonders why men lie about their height.

Troll or just not very bright. Most likely both.
I'm going to find out soon anyway so what is the point? Save yourself the embarrassment and just be honest.
Levix1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its kinda wierd actually my mother's bf allways claims that he's 6'0.5 but he really isnt im a legit 6' and i have at least 0.75 an inch over him so one day me my cousin and him did a measurment i meassured as i claim just a bit over 6' my cousin who claimed 5'11 turn out 5'9.75 and my moms bf turned just a little over 5'11 but still claims 6'0.5 i guess people see what they want to see lol
Billycatnorbert
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Why does height matter. I’m about a 1.6m height and fifteen. But I don’t think that because of that people wouldn’t date someone because of a “little brother” feel.
It’s probably because in modern society, men are seen as being taller, stronger (cliche 🤮) where’s that is not the case. Therefore, they feel it is compulsive to do so when that is quite clearly not the case.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheFarmerLad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Billycatnorbert)
Why does height matter. I’m about a 1.6m height and fifteen. But I don’t think that because of that people wouldn’t date someone because of a “little brother” feel.
It’s probably because in modern society, men are seen as being taller, stronger (cliche 🤮) where’s that is not the case. Therefore, they feel it is compulsive to do so when that is quite clearly not the case.
Height is pretty damn important tbh 😂
Billycatnorbert
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheFarmerLad)
Height is pretty damn important tbh 😂
Thx😢
TheFarmerLad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Billycatnorbert)
Thx😢
You’re 15 dude; I’ve probably grown about 4 inches since then but I was always tall. You might well be a late bloomer and shoot up in your late teens
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought it was something else where size is usually exaggerated!!
Mark mein words
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is only men under 6 foot.

No idea who they are trying to kid. We can see they are short and the number of women willing to date them will be limited.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads