The Student Room Group

Suspending my studies

Hi all, I'm considering suspending my studies.
I'm suffering quite badly with my mental health issues, issues that I was diagnosed with 5 years ago. I'm on medication for them, however everything is just getting too much right now. They're affecting my studies to the point of being pretty much incapable of completing any coursework due in - which is in turn making my mental health worse through the anxiety that cokes from not getting anything done.
I'd like to hear from other who've suspended their studies, and those who haven't - any experiences they'd like to share, any advice or thoughts. Anything you think may help - because I'm feeling so stuck and lost right now.
Also, does anyone know what happens when you go back to uni after suspending their studies? Do you restart the year, or start from where you left off?
TIA for any and all help
Why not dig deep in to the problem affecting your mental health and try to fix it out?
I am depressed too but solely due to the mistakes that I have committed in Life.I put off my work for days and all this negatively affects my mood.
If you are having a very big mental health issue, you should take a break,may be for a month?
Go out on a vacation, don't think about what actually is bothering and help yourself getting free there.Try working on yourself no matter how bad it feels.
Try switching to new habits, and still work on the one thing that has affected you to this extent.

If you have personal friends you should try sitting with them and study, it may feel better then.Or make someone your friend online who you can think could help you out with this issue.

Every morning go for a long walk, cycling etc.If you are a religious person try to get closer to God a little more.
Reply 2
Unfortunately I've tried - it's been over a month since I've been into uni or even done any work, and despite the fact I'm not doing anything to "fix" it, I'm still anxious about it. My depression is a genetic thing, triggered sometimes by what's happening, and sometimes for no reason at all - this episode is just interfering with my entire life. It's something I'm almost certain I'm going to do, I just need advice on what to do, and what will happen when I do.
Reply 3
Thank you so so much!
The fact that other people think it may be a good idea is so reassuring - and honestly I wouldn't be considering this if it didn't feel like my last option.
I went from school to college to uni, so no I haven't had any breaks. I guess I may need to take some time to find out who I am outside of rigid education as you said.
Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest