Carr-Saunders Hall Entry 2008 Answers/Questions/Applications Watch

N89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I think its time that maybe the accommodation thread is split up slightly because no one can find anything specific about halls. If each thread is specific to a hall, then those LSE students (already there) can post about it, and maybe those who want to go there can ask specific questions how does that sound for a plan? (and those already applied, can get to know each other)
N89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
1. What is the mix of undergrad/post grad?

2. Has it got good transport links to LSE?

3. How long would it take to walk from there?
tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by N89)
1. What is the mix of undergrad/post grad?

2. Has it got good transport links to LSE?

3. How long would it take to walk from there?
1) Not sure as I haven't met that many postgrads... the top 2 floors of Saunders are postgrad floors with a few mixed in the bottom floors.

2) Non existant. You can get a bus then change somewhere or get the tube at Warren or Goodge St and change at Tott Crt Rd for the Central Line to Holborn but not worth the effort.

3) Varies depending on the route, I've done it in 20 mins, but we usually try to allow 25-30.
speedy_s
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So what's the social scene like at Carr-Saunders?

And, what are the room sizes and bathroom facilities like?
tourist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by speedy_s)
So what's the social scene like at Carr-Saunders?

And, what are the room sizes and bathroom facilities like?
I love the social scene at Saunders, you can go out when you want with whoever you want usually there's a group of people going out at least once a week and since everyone knows everyone tagging along is never an issue as it will be your mates (unless you're totally antisocial).

Rooms are fairly large(?) I think mines big enough, with a sink in each room. There are shared (mixed sex) showers and toilets on each floor that are cleaned daily by cleaners.
thats_my_poison
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
iv visited most of the lse/intercollegiate halls and the rooms are pretty small compared to other halls but it's perfectly adequate
tourist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Flying-Wombat)
Does anyone know about the demolition work outside Carr-Saunders? On the website it said that it would be going on til late 2009. I don't mind if it's in the daytime cos I'll be out, but does it start and finish ridiculously early? Like 7:30am til 7pm or something? And does it go on at the weekends too?
No idea, construction work has not really bothered me and I keep my window open all the time. Ramsey are more of a problem noise wise...

Demolition should not start before, er 8am? Some "considerate contractors" thing. No idea about weekends.
lucic17
Report 11 years ago
i am now very confused...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=542908

the reply on this thread doesnt seem to agree
tourist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I must be one of the 1/4 who don't get woken up then...
saruhh
Report 11 years ago
I have a question, what are the catered facilities like? I've accepted my offer for CS but I was just wondering how many people use those little kitchens since I intend on mainly making my own food.
tourist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Kitchens are fairly busy but many people don't really use them. As with any shared kitchen facility it's best to avoid peak eating times for cooking but it is not impossible to cook at the same tiome as a couple of other people.
saruhh
Report 11 years ago
Ahh ok.
jinli
Report 11 years ago
hii im a fresher too, or rather i will be a fresher this fall. i just accepted my offer for cs too. how're the room sizes like? they dont look that welcoming in the pictures on the website
saruhh
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jinli)
hii im a fresher too, or rather i will be a fresher this fall. i just accepted my offer for cs too. how're the room sizes like? they dont look that welcoming in the pictures on the website
I went to visit a room the other month. It looked ok, average sized. The person had enough room for a fridge imbetween their desk and a bed with a bit of floorspace left.
jinli
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by saruhh)
I went to visit a room the other month. It looked ok, average sized. The person had enough room for a fridge imbetween their desk and a bed with a bit of floorspace left.
oh really? thats good to know. how's the surrounding area like though, i've heard alot of contradicting stories about the area saunders is in.

and incidentally what're you gonna studying?
tourist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jinli)
oh really? thats good to know. how's the surrounding area like though, i've heard alot of contradicting stories about the area saunders is in.
Generally safe, there was one incident of sexual assault quite near our halls this year. So the message is stick with your friends, and take usual safety precautions. We're right on Tottenham Court Road which is well lit and busy at pretty much all times. I feel safe at Saunders.
saruhh
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jinli)

and incidentally what're you gonna studying?
I didnt really spend too much time looking around the area to be honest. It seemed alright though.

Im doing Geography, what about you?
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Flying-Wombat)
I read on their webpage that it's about 12 to one kitchen! But I don't go there, so perhaps someone can confirm that? It seems like WAY too many ppl for such a small-looking kitchen...
Twelve per kitchen? I wish! There's one kitchen per floor, and 33 people per floor. Only four hobs, two microwaves, one of which is always broken, and two kettles. So prepare for the worst.
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The area, however, is completely fine. Everything you'll need day-to-day is within a five minutes walk, from Tesco's and MacDonalds to the sex shops on Tottenham Court Road. It's pretty quiet late at night, and generally a very safe area, sandwiched between the busy streets of the West End (TCR and Oxford Street, etc.) and Regents Park, Fitzroy Square, etc. With all the UCL halls very close by too, it's very student-orientated.
jinli
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by zxczxc)
The area, however, is completely fine. Everything you'll need day-to-day is within a five minutes walk, from Tesco's and MacDonalds to the sex shops on Tottenham Court Road. It's pretty quiet late at night, and generally a very safe area, sandwiched between the busy streets of the West End (TCR and Oxford Street, etc.) and Regents Park, Fitzroy Square, etc. With all the UCL halls very close by too, it's very student-orientated.
haha sounds good sounds good. lets say if i bought a moped when i came to london, would i have anywhere to park it and hows the traffic like?

(Original post by saruhh)
Im doing Geography, what about you?
history! did you take a gap year after school and all?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads