The Student Room Group

Account apprenticeship vs Accounting Degree at Leeds?

I’m currently studying maths, physics and chemistry and university and I’m looking to go into going into banking/accounting.

Should I do:
1. A higher level degree with Barclays in Group Finance, where I’d get a level 4 AAT qualification (foundation degree).

2. A degree in Accounting and Finance at Leeds, rated the no. 1 degree in the UK for accounting.

My choices are really split, as I believe that an apprenticeship will give me experience and also an AAT qualification straight away, however a degree will look better and allow me to move up into higher positional jobs in the future and also allow me to get better pay.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Biglipid
I’m currently studying maths, physics and chemistry and university and I’m looking to go into going into banking/accounting.

Should I do:
1. A higher level degree with Barclays in Group Finance, where I’d get a level 4 AAT qualification (foundation degree).

2. A degree in Accounting and Finance at Leeds, rated the no. 1 degree in the UK for accounting.

My choices are really split, as I believe that an apprenticeship will give me experience and also an AAT qualification straight away, however a degree will look better and allow me to move up into higher positional jobs in the future and also allow me to get better pay.

Thank you.

How much does the Barclays scheme pay and how long is it until you get the level 4 qualification?

I had a look at the Barclays website and it indicated that the scheme was 4 years. That seems a hell of a long time for someone able to get into Leeds Uni for A+F to pass AAT? Any idea about pay progression?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
How much does the Barclays scheme pay and how long is it until you get the level 4 qualification?

I had a look at the Barclays website and it indicated that the scheme was 4 years. That seems a hell of a long time for someone able to get into Leeds Uni for A+F to pass AAT? Any idea about pay progression?

Thanks for the reply!

It doesn’t specify pay, but mentions that you can increase pay in year 2, but they say they do pay for that AAT course
I think it depends on what suits your strengths and interests. Working at Barclays means you will already build up work experience, you will be earning whilst doing the job. The pay wouldn't be as great as someone who just graduated university, but if you do well and progress, it opens a lot of doors for you.

Going to university means you will learn more about the theory about accounting and in a classroom/lecture environment. You can use your degree to apply for graduate schemes, where you can quickly progress your career as an accountant. The degree would take three to four years of your time, plus the debt and money for university.

Both are valid routes to a accountant/finance career, you just need to consider whether you want to start working or would you want to go into a classroom environment/study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending