xx-Samantha-xx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anyone know a quicker way of making notes for each scene becuase the way i am doing it is taking hours, and have only got untill moday to make notes of the first two acts. and ive got work tomorrow and sunday
02mik_e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
see if you can pick out any metaphors/images.
Is there anything you find interesting?...
Try and pick out key themes/ideas
Shakespeares Intentions?

I am assuming this is for your coursework, i done Henry V. If you need anymore help feel free to PM me.

Michael
xx-Samantha-xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 02mik_e)
see if you can pick out any metaphors/images.
Is there anything you find interesting?...
Try and pick out key themes/ideas
Shakespeares Intentions?

I am assuming this is for your coursework, i done Henry V. If you need anymore help feel free to PM me.

Michael
thank you thats helped a bit. yeah it is for my coursework.
LE1
Report 11 years ago
Charting the development of each main character through the play can also be helpful; it will also be useful for questions on women in the play (O and G) or on Hamlet's monomania/lack of monomania, whether he's really mad etc. Do you have your question yet?

PS You should be quite careful about talking about 'Shakespeare's intentions' - we don't have Shakespeare to ask, so we can really only speculate about what his true 'intentions' were. It's perhaps safer to discuss what the effects of the theatrical devices used are, if you see what I mean.
Vesicle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hardly ever make any paper notes. Instead I scribble things in the text, and highlight things, ie theme, character development etc in the book. This is because I feel that interpretations change and are varied, ad go on to encompass lots of things, so I don't really fix my notes, but have a series of cursors to jog my memory, and stimulate new ideas.
xx-Samantha-xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by LE1)
Charting the development of each main character through the play can also be helpful; it will also be useful for questions on women in the play (O and G) or on Hamlet's monomania/lack of monomania, whether he's really mad etc. Do you have your question yet?

PS You should be quite careful about talking about 'Shakespeare's intentions' - we don't have Shakespeare to ask, so we can really only speculate about what his true 'intentions' were. It's perhaps safer to discuss what the effects of the theatrical devices used are, if you see what I mean.
hehe, we don't have our question yet, i'm just getting ahead of my class
Areontas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing Hamlet for the Shakespeare paper on Wednesday, and am finding it much easier to revise in themes rather than characters (which is advantageous to an extent, because one question is usually about a character, whereas the other relates to Hamlet from the viewpoint of themes). Even if you may not be doing the same exam, for notes on the first two acts I'd say your best best would be to make notes based on certain themes and ideas, with bits of language analysis integrated into it.
xx-Samantha-xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ash06)
I'm doing Hamlet for the Shakespeare paper on Wednesday, and am finding it much easier to revise in themes rather than characters (which is advantageous to an extent, because one question is usually about a character, whereas the other relates to Hamlet from the viewpoint of themes). Even if you may not be doing the same exam, for notes on the first two acts I'd say your best best would be to make notes based on certain themes and ideas, with bits of language analysis integrated into it.
thank you
general_store
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by StarDust*)
is this for an A2 paper? i'm sitting it in june, and i have nooo idea what to expect really. We've finished studying it and from what i can see you get two opposing view points and argue it out which is more appropriate? i've done past papers on hamlet- keep or lose audience sympathy and ophelia - submissive female vs transcending patriarchal system, but i was largely unaware that themes came up ( how naive/ignorant of me ) So for the theme question is it the same format but for a theme, like treachery and treason- yes or no? essentially, or is it more how a theme links into Hamlet as a character?
Areontas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_)
is this for an A2 paper? i'm sitting it in june, and i have nooo idea what to expect really. We've finished studying it and from what i can see you get two opposing view points and argue it out which is more appropriate? i've done past papers on hamlet- keep or lose audience sympathy and ophelia - submissive female vs transcending patriarchal system, but i was largely unaware that themes came up ( how naive/ignorant of me ) So for the theme question is it the same format but for a theme, like treachery and treason- yes or no? essentially, or is it more how a theme links into Hamlet as a character?
You do get character questions, so perhaps you would prefer to answer one of those. Generally, for the themes, they're ones that relate to the whole play - e.g. corruption/madness (which are generally tied together), inaction (which mainly ties in with Hamlet not doing anything in terms of revenge).
general_store
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ahh ok, thank you. So the theme questions just ask you how that theme is presented? have you done the exam yet/ was it ok? I would really like an Ophelia question but really wouldn't like a rosencrantz/guildenstern or polonious one. Then again, what's revision for
Areontas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_)
ahh ok, thank you. So the theme questions just ask you how that theme is presented? have you done the exam yet/ was it ok? I would really like an Ophelia question but really wouldn't like a rosencrantz/guildenstern or polonious one. Then again, what's revision for
Exactly, yeah. I only had the exam on Wednesday (OCR), and I answered the question asking something like 'how far and in what ways do you agree that corruption permeates the play at every level'. I was pleased with the question, because I could completely talk about Hamlet's madness etc. - which is basically the entire point of the play! I'm stressing out though because I couldn't remember that many quotes for it... it's such a pain to have to do both questions, one after the other, and I had already answered a poetry question seconds before (for which I remembered most of the quotes!). Ah well, there's not much I can do now...

A Rosencrantz/Guildenstern question would just be silly, but I'd just end up talking about Hamlet in relation to them. Polonius was asked about in the paper I just did, but in relation to his children as well. Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll be fine - and it's ages away anyway! Plus, as you say, that's what revision is for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads