legendrower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm a second-year non-law student at Lse and by the time I reach the application stage for vacation schemes in the final year I want to have some experience of commercial law under my belt.

Is applying for work experience/shadowing at a High Street or Middle-sized law firm a good way to go about this? Has anyone got any experience they could share regarding getting such a placement?

cheers.
TKR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
write lots and lots of letters.
alternatively find a friend of the family who works in a law firm!
also consider looking for informal work experience in the legal departments of large companies.
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what about law students? what do they usually do in the summer of their first year?
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just to say you can apply for vac schemes with some firms as a second year non-law student.

in fact, taking baker mckenzie for example, their vac schemes are pure penultimate year (law and non-law) only! freshfields offer 2nd year non-law places on the scheme too and i'd imagine a small handful of other firms do.
jeffreyweingard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bryan)
what about law students? what do they usually do in the summer of their first year?
i want to know too
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I worked in a high street firm.
Lauren18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silence)
in fact, taking baker mckenzie for example, their vac schemes are pure penultimate year (law and non-law) only!
...and those half way through a 4-year Law + xxx degree
Tory_boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What do law students do during the summer after their first year?

They cry over how much work they put in during their first year only to find that it hasn't paid off by way of providing 1st class and high 2.i results. Then, they grit their teeth and start working on doing better the following year.
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bryan)
If you want to do something career-orientated, I'd suggest doing something which will give you something decent to write about in the competency-based questions, i.e. not necessarily law-related (in fact probably not), but something like independent travel or volunteering. Probably more fun than something law-related too
jeffreyweingard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tory_boy)
What do law students do during the summer after their first year?

They cry over how much work they put in during their first year only to find that it hasn't paid off by way of providing 1st class and high 2.i results. Then, they grit their teeth and start working on doing better the following year.
when are exam results usually released?
chalks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
If you want to do something career-orientated, I'd suggest doing something which will give you something decent to write about in the competency-based questions, i.e. not necessarily law-related (in fact probably not), but something like independent travel or volunteering. Probably more fun than something law-related too
I strongly recommend this. When interviewing, recruiters want to see that you're a well-rounded, broadminded individual who has interests and abilities outside of the library.

A little bit of legal experience will look good, but don't worry if that's not possible. Travel is also impressive, provided it is of the independent travelling/backpacking type rather than a month in San Antonio...

Law firms also recognise that, for the majority of students, the summer is an important time to do "normal" paid work to save up cash for the forthcoming year. If your summer is likely to consist of 3 months working as a shop assistant or the like, don't be overly concerned.

Don't forget - your days of 3 month summer holidays won't last forever: make sure you enjoy them!
Tory_boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jeffreyweingard)
when are exam results usually released?
Depends on the university and sometimes which year of study you are in (3rd year (finalists) often have their results released sooner). Generally though you can expect them in early-mid July. A lot of training contract deadlines are on 31st July; however, students that don't have their second year results at the time of applying can update their sent application forms as soon as they get them. Obviously, law students will already have their first year results in time for submitting vac sch apps at the beginning of their second year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.62%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.6%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.54%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
36.42%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.81%

Watched Threads