sadasdasfsfafg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i just need help on HOW to revise. i just cant find a way that i am confident in. its not exam season yet and i have 2 years left until i sit my exams. ii want to start slowly getting into revision and find which is the most effective way. i dont care how long i need to revise, i just need to find out how.
RobynAbby
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sitting my exams soon and i find it really helpful to make a revision timetable first to organise my revision. Mind maps also work really well for me and I keep flash cards of all of my lessons with what u need to know, hope this helps
noor930
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Highlight the keywords/ key points in your text books (personally I do this because it saves you time and you can look back at it for quick revision during exam time.)
2. Flashcards- condense the important information onto the flashcards.
3. Mind maps
4. Youtube videos
5. Download any apps on your phone for that specific subject.

Once you have learnt all of the content, practice lots of past papers.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First find what type of learner you are:

1. Visual
2.Audio
3 Kinesthetic

(for more types look at Howard Gardeners Multiple Intelligence)

Then understand how we learn:

The short term memory holds up to 9 bites before moving it into the long term memory, however if you add any thing too soon it dumps it before it goes into LTM. It's best to put things to remember into 5-7 bits at a time.

When learning the brain builds pathways of association, so it links information what it already knows, but also by sense (ie smell, touch, taste etc). Visualisation also works, so as much detail as possible when imagining exams (visualise doing them in detail).

How life style plays a part:
A must is good nutrition to help building the brain cells, exercise to de-stress, and a good nights sleep to help the brain form pathways. Drinking enough water is also vital as dehydration effects the memory so ALWAYS take it into the exam with you.

Lastly some techniques to look out for:

1. Mind Mapping - also known as spider charts
2. Cheat sheets
3. Flash cards or index cards
4. The use of colour in your cheat sheets etc
5. Memory methods such as Roman Room, Loci, Journey and Palace
6 Dance moves or lyrics
7. Acronyms
8. Poems
9. Rhythms and Rhymes
10, Parrot fashion

If you want to learn more about the brain and memory check out the book 'Introduction to Psychology' by Atkinson - the library should have a copy, the book has a few chapters on it,

Also on You Tube a series called 'The twelve things I wish my students knew' and all top graded student guides and suggestions.

I would also suggest you get organised with a study area/zone, a dairy, calendar, to do list etc.

Lastly, have a positive belief system that you can achieve the highest grades, as your brain will believe your thinking and get you there as long as you back it up with work and revision.

Oh to remember things better go over class notes 5 minutes, 1 hr, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and 6 months after class, then it will be in your long term memory.

All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads