The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sir Joe
how did you find social life doing a masters? time for one? lol I know it'll vary from course to course but i'd still hope to get involved in a bit of sport/night at the union. living in halls, did the accommodation service put you with other post grads? I have a fear of either ending up with 18 year olds (no offence!) or like 30 year old masters students. do they have a sort of first year post grad welcome week?

I havent applied yet, just waiting for a reference : /

Hi Sir Joe, I has the same gripes as you before I applied for my Masters but in the end it worked well with me. I've never been one to study 9-5 without a break, I'm more the 'last-minute' student that loves to play sport and go out. At first I was worred I couldn't carry these activities in to my Masters year but don't let that worry you, I had no trouble balancing the work and play. I played for the uni squash team and went out quite a lot in my first two semesters, most of the work happenned towards the end of my second and final semester. Some people have misconceptions of the workload of a Masters, it's pretty much like your final year as an undergraduate. I managed to earn myself a distinction too so can't be that hard :yep:

Wantage Hall was great because I was put in 'Lawn' (Wantage is divided in to 3 quarters, 'New Court' which were all freshers, 'Old Court' which were a mix of freshers, 2nd years, final years and postgrads and 'Lawn' made up of half freshers and the rest final years and postgrads. The Hall didn't have a postgrad welcome, in fact we were excluded from the freshers dinner because they had no room for us and they used the 'you've done it all before' excuse haha. But my course had a induction and welcome where we were able to meet everyone.

What course are you studying btw?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hey, so if im 21 year old fresher where do you think they would place me in wantage?
Reply 22
richard007
Hi Sir Joe, I has the same gripes as you before I applied for my Masters but in the end it worked well with me. I've never been one to study 9-5 without a break, I'm more the 'last-minute' student that loves to play sport and go out. At first I was worred I couldn't carry these activities in to my Masters year but don't let that worry you, I had no trouble balancing the work and play. I played for the uni squash team and went out quite a lot in my first two semesters, most of the work happenned towards the end of my second and final semester. Some people have misconceptions of the workload of a Masters, it's pretty much like your final year as an undergraduate. I managed to earn myself a distinction too so can't be that hard :yep:

Wantage Hall was great because I was put in 'Lawn' (Wantage is divided in to 3 quarters, 'New Court' which were all freshers, 'Old Court' which were a mix of freshers, 2nd years, final years and postgrads and 'Lawn' made up of half freshers and the rest final years and postgrads. The Hall didn't have a postgrad welcome, in fact we were excluded from the freshers dinner because they had no room for us and they used the 'you've done it all before' excuse haha. But my course had a induction and welcome where we were able to meet everyone.

Applying for MSc Food Science. My undergrad is Sports Nutrition at Leeds met so getting an offer would be sweet. Was yours a 12 month course? where'd you live in the summer? Some accommodation are advertised as 50 week but some aren't, i read you can still pay vacation rent for many of them though? I'd be skint doing a masters so would probably opt for the crappier halls such as sibly/martindale/hillside/childs.

Did you find you just had post grads to your flat? lots of them international? Sociable?

yea i'm also the last minute kind of student, but my undergrad degree has been such ********, i'll relish at the chance to go to a better uni and i'll probably swot up as it'll take some budgetting to pay for it :biggrin:
Reply 23
Beatrix Potter
Hey, so if im 21 year old fresher where do you think they would place me in wantage?

Most probably in New Court where the majority of freshers will be. If you're lucky you might be in Old Court, it's so much nicer! You'll have fun wherever you are though, Wantage has loads of social events throughout the year. Some of my friends have gone back for next year they'll be your new JCR too!

Sir Joe
Applying for MSc Food Science. My undergrad is Sports Nutrition at Leeds met so getting an offer would be sweet. Was yours a 12 month course? where'd you live in the summer? Some accommodation are advertised as 50 week but some aren't, i read you can still pay vacation rent for many of them though? I'd be skint doing a masters so would probably opt for the crappier halls such as sibly/martindale/hillside/childs.

Did you find you just had post grads to your flat? lots of them international? Sociable?

yea i'm also the last minute kind of student, but my undergrad degree has been such ********, i'll relish at the chance to go to a better uni and i'll probably swot up as it'll take some budgetting to pay for it :biggrin:

I lived at Wantage Halls but in 'Lawn', which an old victorian house adjacent to the main hall made up of about 7 freshers and 10 postgrads. Out of the whole hall there were only 3 or 4 international students, Wantage has a reputation of mainly accepting students whom went to private school you quite pretentious in that sense, and I guess thats why there weren't many international students! The only international student in 'lawn' believe it or not did Food Science too, he told me the majority of students on your course are international!
Reply 24
richard007

I lived at Wantage Halls but in 'Lawn', which an old victorian house adjacent to the main hall made up of about 7 freshers and 10 postgrads. Out of the whole hall there were only 3 or 4 international students, Wantage has a reputation of mainly accepting students whom went to private school you quite pretentious in that sense, and I guess thats why there weren't many international students! The only international student in 'lawn' believe it or not did Food Science too, he told me the majority of students on your course are international!

lol yea the food biosciences courses are all quite international, would be interesting. Not that i have anything against living with internationals, they just dont strike me as people whod wanna go out getting ********* occasionally, which i'd need to do after a long week of studying all day. so overall you found the experience to still hold some fun to it? ahhh really want to get my application off so i can have some peace of mind, bloody references
Reply 25
I got my application off round about this time of the year too, do it lol! Some of the international students are alright but a lot of them have spent even more that you and I on their Masters so most wouldn't want to get blitzed every weekend. Do what I did and join one or two sports clubs and societies at uni, they have their own social nights and you meet loads of new people anyway. I definately had lots of fun in the 12 months I was there (actually only 9 months for the 3 terms), and I still keep in contact with a lot of my mates there, going back to play squash with them this week actually! Oh, and I met my girlfriend there too, she was a fresher haha. You won't regret going that's for sure if you do decide to go for it!
Reply 26

Hello, deleted! I don't know if you remember me but I was asking last term if you have any photos of Sherfield? I just found that I've got in to it next year, yay!! Are you staying there next year too?

Hi! I'm not living here but I'll be doing Freshers Support in Freshers Week so you'll probably see me around! We'll probably be the ones hanging around A and B block when we're not arranging stuff, they've got the reputation as the 'party' blocks!
Sir Joe
lol yea the food biosciences courses are all quite international, would be interesting. Not that i have anything against living with internationals, they just dont strike me as people whod wanna go out getting ********* occasionally, which i'd need to do after a long week of studying all day. so overall you found the experience to still hold some fun to it? ahhh really want to get my application off so i can have some peace of mind, bloody references

I'll be a postgrad there come September. I will more than happily come out and get wrecked.
Reply 28
richard007
I got my application off round about this time of the year too, do it lol! Some of the international students are alright but a lot of them have spent even more that you and I on their Masters so most wouldn't want to get blitzed every weekend. Do what I did and join one or two sports clubs and societies at uni, they have their own social nights and you meet loads of new people anyway. I definately had lots of fun in the 12 months I was there (actually only 9 months for the 3 terms), and I still keep in contact with a lot of my mates there, going back to play squash with them this week actually! Oh, and I met my girlfriend there too, she was a fresher haha. You won't regret going that's for sure if you do decide to go for it!

haha sweet, glad it's not all serious business for 12 months. i'd probably start wet shaving to feel more youthfull lol. Probably getting ahead of myself here, need to get an offer first. Got my reference now so it'll be sent off. Hopefully they appreciate that as most of the course is internationals, they should welcome me for some diversity hehe.

The general enthusiasm for getting wrecked occasionly as an over-worked masters student is encouraging :biggrin:
and as a future undergraduate getting wrecked will come a little more than occasionly!
richard007

nnot sure if you read my post, if im a 21 year old fresher where in wantage do u think they would place me?
Reply 31
Beatrix Potter
nnot sure if you read my post, if im a 21 year old fresher where in wantage do u think they would place me?

He answered your question - post no. 24 :smile:
i guess, sorry! being a bit scatty.x
deleted
Hi! I'm not living here but I'll be doing Freshers Support in Freshers Week so you'll probably see me around! We'll probably be the ones hanging around A and B block when we're not arranging stuff, they've got the reputation as the 'party' blocks!

Oh cool, that'll be good! So are you a JCR Fresher lay rep sort of thing? (We had them in Wantage in my first year, I don't know if they're a uni-wide thing or not)
What would you say are the 'best' rooms/blocks? Any that have particularly nice rooms/toilets/kitchens? On my accommodation form it's got a list of 3 room preferences so I thought I may as well put some down! Oh yeah, and do the rooms have any TV aerials? Or will I have to get one of those receivery aerial things?
Thanks! I'm so excited about actually (hopefully) enjoying where I live!
Reply 34
brokenalien
Oh cool, that'll be good! So are you a JCR Fresher lay rep sort of thing? (We had them in Wantage in my first year, I don't know if they're a uni-wide thing or not)
What would you say are the 'best' rooms/blocks? Any that have particularly nice rooms/toilets/kitchens? On my accommodation form it's got a list of 3 room preferences so I thought I may as well put some down! Oh yeah, and do the rooms have any TV aerials? Or will I have to get one of those receivery aerial things?
Thanks! I'm so excited about actually (hopefully) enjoying where I live!

Yeah kind of, I'll be around in Freshers Week helping the JCR committee and generally helping the Freshers out!
This year, A and B block were the most sociable, any parties etc were usually in B block or in A and it just seemed to be the congregation place for everyone! Occasionally not so good when you want sleep and everyone's outside but it's quite good! In B, the best rooms I would say are the end ones purely for the layout of the bathroom, it's a slightly different shape and you get a bit more space but they're all much of a muchness really and are pretty good! We've got an aerial plug in thing on our walls so I don't think you need to bring a receiver! In terms of which floor, middle (where I am!) seems to be a good compromise! You aren't on the ground floor so people can't see into your room as they walk past and aren't congregating outside your window at midnight but it's only one flight of stairs when you have shopping etc!
Hope that helps a bit! x
Does anyone know what st georges is like?
Reply 36
emmajosephine

Theres some pics here

www.accommodationforstudents.com%2Flargerprivatestudenthousing%2Flphs.asp%3Fid%3D40&h=c76c5acf3c21bbda4daee0acf2b903f0

Looks nice enough:smile:
Reply 37
emmajosephine

i know a girl who lives there and she really loves it, i think she's been lucky with who she's living with. there are a LOT of international students there at the moment, the other day my mum and i managed to find an open door and had a walk round some of the buildings. it was soooo quiet and we only bumped into europeans who came across as quite rude. apparently they're changing the process for this year so there are guaranteed to be more british students. not that it's a problem, i'm sure the majority of internationals are lovely..!
Reply 38
and bloody hell richard007, just noticed how high the fee's are for management courses. and there i was thinking £3900 for a food science course was a bit steep :P
khalbert
i know a girl who lives there and she really loves it, i think she's been lucky with who she's living with. there are a LOT of international students there at the moment, the other day my mum and i managed to find an open door and had a walk round some of the buildings. it was soooo quiet and we only bumped into europeans who came across as quite rude. apparently they're changing the process for this year so there are guaranteed to be more british students. not that it's a problem, i'm sure the majority of internationals are lovely..!

I'm not a racist at all but i've heard they're not the best to be with as they work so hard all the time, although it must be pretty expensive to go uni abroad so thats probably why lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending