The Student Room Group

How to get over a shorter term relationship

At the end of August my 2 1/2 month relationship with somebody I worked with ended and I feel ridiculous about the fact I am not over it. I no longer work wit them and moved full time to the town I live in for uni as I got a better part time job there but I still think about it everyday.

For a bit of back story, we started talking when I first started the job and became a couple a month later. I lost my virginity to him; however throughout the relationship I was constantly told by people I around me that I wasn't his type and that I was punching above my weight. Then after we slept together the first time he told me he loved me and wanted to spend his future with me. Then a couple days later he started telling me he had doubts one minute and that he loved me the next. Over the next month it got to the point where he pushed me to break up with him by telling me he wasn't happy, had had doubts since the start and never truly believed it was going to work out until I broke up with him. He then told our friends that I ended it out of the blue and less than a week later I found out he was seeing somebody else that everyone said was more his type (prettier and more popular than me).

Now it has got to the point where I am interested in someone else but I am so scared of rejection that I even got friends to ask this person if they were single or looking to date (something I would never have done before) and I am terrified to date again because I know these people are also out of my league and I know the same thing will happen again (they'll get what they need from me, find someone better and leave me). I've asked people around me for advice and they just tell me I'm too young to be thinking about this, that I'm ridiculous or that 2 1/2 months is nothing and to get over it but it's been 4 months since the breakup and I still don't know what to do.
Sorry I couldn't be bothered to read it (I've just read too many of these), but realize that it will most likely have practically zero effect on your future, so long as you do not waste time on it. Move on.
realise the person doesnt like you and dont think you are worth thier time

Once you realise how little someone values you, its easier to move on
he found someone better , oh well life goes on
Reply 4
If you want to find love be prepared to take risk and put a lot of emotions on the line. That guy plain and simply used you for sex, so wouldn't use him as a basis to judge your future potential relationship (s). All I can say is to be vigilant and clever in ensuring the next guy genuinely seeks a loving relationship.
Reply 5
I'm was in a similar position not too long ago. I'm completely over the guy now but I have so many unanswered questions about his behaviour that I have kinda accepted the fact that I'll never know. The main thing is - he wasn't all that. Nor is your ex.
You can PM me if you want to talk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending