AQA Geography A-level 7037 - 04 & 08 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion] Watch

_K_A_T_E_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in Year 13 and I am studying AQA A-level Geography (7037). It is a new specification, so there are very few resources available e.g. past papers. Does anyone have any adivice on how best to revise the subject and/or know of any good resources to use when revising?

Topics I am studying:
Physical Geography:
- Water and Carbon Cycles
- Costal Systems and Landscapes
- Ecosystems Under Stress

Human Geography:
- Global Systems and Global Governance
- Changing Places
- Population and the Environment
Oldl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello I’m studying the same spec as you! And doing most of the same modules. I’m finding it all super hard 😭
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
Hello I’m studying the same spec as you! And doing most of the same modules. I’m finding it all super hard 😭
Me too. I am enjoying it, but there seems to be so much content and I need to master exam technique, but there is only the speciemen paper...
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know I have so many notes but I don’t know what to do with them. The case studies are so hard to remember! And the 20 markers really confuse me. Have you finished your coursework?
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
I know I have so many notes but I don’t know what to do with them. The case studies are so hard to remember! And the 20 markers really confuse me. Have you finished your coursework?
Yes they are and there are so many case studies too! No not yet, I have done a fair bit of it though. Have you?
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I handed it in, in September I think we did it early we gotten taken to collect day in July and wrote it over summer! What other subjects do you do, I also do Biology and Environmental Studies!
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
I handed it in, in September I think we did it early we gotten taken to collect day in July and wrote it over summer! What other subjects do you do, I also do Biology and Environmental Studies!
Ahh, that makes sense. I do Biology too, and Performing Arts and I did Maths AS last year. I would have liked to have done Environmental Studies, but my Sixth Form didn't offer it. What are you planning on studying at university?
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I applied to do Geography at University and I’ve got my offers back. I need a B but I’m so worried that I can’t achieve it. Environmental studies was so much easier at AS than A2 😞
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
I applied to do Geography at University and I’ve got my offers back. I need a B but I’m so worried that I can’t achieve it. Environmental studies was so much easier at AS than A2 😞
That sounds good, I have applied to study Environmental Science and need a B in Geography too, I'm hoping that it is all just going to to click into place!
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s amazing, I kinda regret not going more down the Environmental science path because recently I’ve been enjoying it a lot more than Geography... too late now :/ Plus I’m a lot better at it than Geography which isn’t a good sign.
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
That’s amazing, I kinda regret not going more down the Environmental science path because recently I’ve been enjoying it a lot more than Geography... too late now :/ Plus I’m a lot better at it than Geography which isn’t a good sign.
That's annoying! I'm sure it will all work out, we still have quite a while until our final exams!
bethanyclaire99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oldl)
I wish my teachers were as organised as this!! we have two months and most of us still have no clue what we're meant to be doing we have the most useless teachers i've ever experienced. Do you have any advice for the NEA? xx
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bethanyclaire99)
I wish my teachers were as organised as this!! we have two months and most of us still have no clue what we're meant to be doing we have the most useless teachers i've ever experienced. Do you have any advice for the NEA? xx
I have a check list booklet that’s helpful which might be handy. I could try and email it to you? We did practice coursework since the start of year 12 which helped a lot. My teachers aren’t that great for actual teaching. (I’ve had 5 different teachers in the past year). I found it so so hard at first... then ironically when I finished shed the NEA I found examples from the exam board on AQA so try looking on there. I left mine to last minute because I kept putting it off. Please use a Stats test if you can (such as Chi Squared). Xx
(Original post by bethanyclaire99)
Oldl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry that formatted horribly ^
Jake_logan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme of these topics from the 2017 summer paper? I have mocks in a couple of weeks
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, just thought I'd chime in with some advice for revising since I'm doing the same thing (mocks next week).

If you have a Geography textbook, I'd recommend writing out the info for each topic that it lists and putting it into a booklet (like I've done; it's time-consuming but works as revision), and then making it even more concise by creating revision sheets (I did these at GCSE and my classmates found them REALLY useful, as the info in them will be the most important and is less imposing than the booklet, which has multiple pages; one of my Geography teachers from last year even gave them to his GCSE class), which you and your classmates can quiz each other on (these worked both in GCSE Geography and Science).

The lack of past papers is also a pain (at GCSE, there were so many!), so I'd recommend making your own 20-markers and writing plans for them - don't actually write out an answer if you don't need to, as getting as much content down here is paramount. Also, for case studies, make sure you know which ones you're doing (I've had five teachers over my Geography A-Level and my newer two don't have a clue what they're doing as they've been thrown in the deep end), and make sure you know the most basic info for each (for example, how human interaction is impacting on the water cycle of the Amazon Basin) - statistics-wise, you can just fudge the numbers if you want, but it is preferable to actually know the numbers or make estimates that are near enough.

Other resources for revision I'd recommend include the PhysicsAndMathsTutor website, which has some detailed revision sheets for each topic, and the revision app Gojimo is helpful (even though it asks you questions on case studies you haven't done).

In my view, do the most revision for the topics you find the hardest (for me, that's Global systems and governance, and Water and carbon cycles we weren't taught properly, so that too). And remember, don't go straight in with revision hard - exams aren't until June and even if you don't do brilliantly in the mocks, that's just highlighting weaknesses you now know you have to work on - slowly increase the amount of revision from now until exam time, but make sure to keep practising 20-markers, as, as you said in your original post, the technique can be hard to get right (I've learnt that from experience - remember to write conclusions too!). Another thing that might be useful is, if you're making up your own questions, try to word them so you can refer to more than one topic in each - you do more revision at once, plus strengthens your ability to make links across topics, which is a good thing when it comes to the exams, even if the questions you write for yourself aren't going to turn up.
_K_A_T_E_
Rep:
?
Assessment resources:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geogr...ment-resources
k1234j
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm in the same boat as all of you, as there are so few resources that we can actually use, and my teachers don't seem to know what we need to know either!!
bethanyclaire99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oldl)
I have a check list booklet that’s helpful which might be handy. I could try and email it to you? We did practice coursework since the start of year 12 which helped a lot. My teachers aren’t that great for actual teaching. (I’ve had 5 different teachers in the past year). I found it so so hard at first... then ironically when I finished shed the NEA I found examples from the exam board on AQA so try looking on there. I left mine to last minute because I kept putting it off. Please use a Stats test if you can (such as Chi Squared). Xx
Sorry i've just seen this, please can you PM me it would be so so helpful thank you !!!xx
onions_and_ogres
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wowza, this thread is so reassuring letting me know that I'm not the only who is struggling with the new specification.

I am finding the coursework extremely difficult, am I the only one?

Plus my teachers have pretty much abandoned us saying that they aren't allowed to help us at all with it (however I think that this is mostly just an excuse that they don't really know what they're doing either).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise