The Student Room Group

AQA Geography A-level 7037 - 04 & 08 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blaze04
Any guesses on the grade boundaries for the NEA - I got 41 out of 60, just needa know what that is...

I was told
54 - A*
46 - A
40 - B
32 - C
25 - D
I found it OK; the good and the bad balanced out. The 20-marker for Hazards was weird; if I had enough time I could have answered it properly but mainly just put the case study info/data down then explained it, when I should have really threaded the case study in and out. The 9-marker for Hazards on exogenous factors really should have been the 20-marker; not sure if what I wrote for that was correct, and I repeated myself a lot. The MCQs for Hazards I became stuck on too. I did Glacial Systems and Landscapes and found it alright, apart from the 4-marker, the content for I had forgotten to revise (probably scraped at least one or two of the marks). Water and Carbon was fine; I didn't really get what it meant by "water balance" in the 20-marker but just assumed it was on about inputs and outputs changing.

All in all, I know I could have done better if I had managed my time a bit more effectively and not been ashamed to ask for the supplementary answer booklet from the beginning and so didn't stop answering questions as soon as they were about to go over the lines provided! It is weird, though, how I went into the exam thinking that I would do best on Hazards, yet came out feeling the best about Glacial S&L - the one I felt least confident on! Although, I'm doubting I did well on any of the 20-markers; I don't think I got anywhere near Level 4 on any.
What do you think about grade boundaries
Anyone got an idea for an unofficial mark scheme NEEDED thanks x
I think it will be:
80%- A*
71%-A
61%- B
50%- C

I'm talking about over all including both papers and the NEA
Original post by Blaze04
Any guesses on the grade boundaries for the NEA - I got 41 out of 60, just needa know what that is...

According to my teacher that would be a high B/A. I got 44 and apparently thats a solid A so i assume good chance of 41 being an A.
I reckon:

90% - A*
84% - A
75% - B
67% - C
55% - D
Original post by matt19999
I reckon:

90% - A*
84% - A
75% - B
67% - C
55% - D

That high? No way. It’s the first sitting of the exam, doubt it’ll be that high. Thinking more 50% for a C, 60% for B
Stop predicting grade boundaries people there is no way anyone knows. They are always weird for geography and I doubt this year will be very different despite the new spec
I think the 20 markers in the topics I did (WC, Coasts, Hazards) were gorgeous, over the moon that they came up 😍 they were worded really weird though... took me a while to condense my information but they had loads of opportunities for synopsis which was great 👍 9 markers on hazards? Ehh okay... primary and secondary impact question was the easier of the two imo, meant I was able to talk about the ash cloud at Ejyafjyajokull that I wanted to talk about so bad 😂 hazards 6 marker? Ew, absolutely hated it 😂 the rest of the paper was kinda good, didn’t answer coasts 4 marker on barrier beaches as I didn’t have time but I wasn’t too fussed on that :smile:
Original post by Y11finchj
I think the 20 markers in the topics I did (WC, Coasts, Hazards) were gorgeous, over the moon that they came up 😍 they were worded really weird though... took me a while to condense my information but they had loads of opportunities for synopsis which was great 👍 9 markers on hazards? Ehh okay... primary and secondary impact question was the easier of the two imo, meant I was able to talk about the ash cloud at Ejyafjyajokull that I wanted to talk about so bad 😂 hazards 6 marker? Ew, absolutely hated it 😂 the rest of the paper was kinda good, didn’t answer coasts 4 marker on barrier beaches as I didn’t have time but I wasn’t too fussed on that :smile:

I loved the 6 markers and the coast 20 marker, I think it was a good paper and at least all the questions made sense :h:
Original post by zoschneider
are you kidding???? that 20 marker was so bad!! how do humans CAUSE hazards??

Global warming leads to more atmospheric hazards basically
Original post by shanialindsey
i did. Started having a panic attack realising I had 45 minutes to do 2 6 markers, 2 9 markets and a 20

literally me !!!
Does anyone know what you were actually meant to say about the Iran figure question in coasts?
Coasts appears to be quite popular. Is there anybody else who did Glaciation?
What were the two 6 markers in carbon cycle?!?! I literally can't remember
One 6 marker was the Paris Accord and I think the other was the GHG emissions bar graph
(edited 5 years ago)
Ahhh for Hazards 20 marker I attempted to manipulate the question and went down the route of how human activity causes disasters to be more hazardous in nature lol... hopefully the Philippines will get me some marks.

The questions I remember:

Water and Carbon
1.1 Outline the role of cryospheric change in the water cycle.
1.2 can't remember the questions but it was two images, one showing sea level 10,000 years ago and one showing present sea level
1.4 Something about the causes and impacts of change in the water budget for a named tropical region.

Coasts
2.1 Outline the formation of a barrier beach.
2.2 Using the figure (Iran Bay) analyse the movement of sediment (?).
2.3 Using both figures and your own knowledge, assess the difficulties in international agreements to lower GHG emissions (?)/
2.4 To what extent are the processes of weathering and erosion more important in shaping coastal landforms than human activity? (something like that!)

Hazards:
3.1 Analyse the data shown (caldera and graph).
3.2 To what extent are secondary impacts from volcanic events more dangerous in the long term than primary impacts?
3.3 To what extent do exogenous factors impact a region's ability to respond to tropical storm events? (I think?)
3.4 Something about human activity being a more significant cause of natural disasters than physical factors.
Original post by PomHill
Ahhh for Hazards 20 marker I attempted to manipulate the question and went down the route of how human activity causes disasters to be more hazardous in nature lol... hopefully the Philippines will get me some marks.

Water and Carbon
1.2 can't remember the questions but it was two images, one showing sea level 10,000 years ago and one showing present sea level
1.4 Something about the causes and impacts of change in the water budget for a named tropical region.

Coasts
2.3 Using both figures and your own knowledge, assess the difficulties in international agreements to lower GHG emissions (?)/
2.4 To what extent are the processes of weathering and erosion more important in shaping coastal landforms than human activity? (something like that!)

Hazards:
3.2 To what extent are secondary impacts from volcanic events more dangerous in the long term than primary impacts?
3.3 To what extent do exogenous factors impact a region's ability to respond to tropical storm events? (I think?)
3.4 Something about human activity being a more significant cause of natural disasters than physical factors.

oops meant 2.3 as 1.3, I can't remember the second coasts six marker
Original post by PomHill

Water and Carbon

Coasts

Hazards:

f cks sake got them all mixed up lol, 1.2 was a coasts one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending