Sociology A-Level course work- please help!!!! Watch

Hula129
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi, im doing my coursework on the investigation between social classes and inquality in the education system- resulting in working classed children under achieving, if that made sense :confused:
I wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas about this...also if anyone recommended any particular theorists to use....

thanks

Rosiepop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OK, you might want to start off explaining different aspects of the education system which educational theorists argue are designed to almost "fail" working-class students. Basil Bernstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Bernstein), a socio-linguist of the 1970's, found that there were several linguistic classroom codes which middle-class teachers undertook to exclude working-class students, helping them fail. Try looking at the education section in Haralambos if you can find it - it's really interesting and could help a lot

Secondly, try and find any quantitative research to support your hypothesis (assuming of course that you've developed one based on preliminary research in the field). There's a lot of public data on the Government's statistics website (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nscl.asp?ID=6085) - although be wary of these and try and take them with a pinch of salt.

Lastly, I'm not sure what kind of area you'll be specifically looking at, as working-class inequality within education is quite a large area! You could try looking at genders in particular (for boys, check out Paul Willis's prepostmodernist study "Learning To Labour" or Bowles & Gintis's Neo-Marxist work - for girls, look at Angela McRobbie and her Bedroom Culture theory), or ethnic minorities (Stuart Hall is a good choice for looking at black working-class masculinity in the classroom, and lack of role models).

Really hope this helped - if you have any questions, feel free to message and I'll do my best to help some more!

Rosi xx
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Could you tell me if this is for AS or A2 Sociology?
Hula129
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
as
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahhh cool. Not too bad then. At least at AS it's only a proposal!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads