Is Accounting and finance even Worth anymore as degree? Watch

Edmilson96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi my is Edmilson,
I am currently at my last year of A-level, and I was first thinking on studying Accounting and finance at University, but due to a fast changing in the tech industry. Also with many experts saying that Accountants will become come obsolete in 10 years time. I just would like to know if it's is worth it to study accounting and finance as degree?
Thanks and appreciate for all your helps!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Edmilson96)
Hi my is Edmilson,
I am currently at my last year of A-level, and I was first thinking on studying Accounting and finance at University, but due to a fast changing in the tech industry. Also with many experts saying that Accountants will become come obsolete in 10 years time. I just would like to know if it's is worth it to study accounting and finance as degree?
Depends, though if I was you I'd take it grain of salt since many people forget that Accountants provide advices and solutions (which is very complex for a computer to do). Also there are many Finance type of jobs you'll be able to switch from Accounting since most finance job do not require a specific subject degree (and don't be under the impression that the only job for those that graduated in Accounting and Finance degree is Accounting).
mark.s__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Edmilson96)
Hi my is Edmilson,
Accountants will continue to exist, however, the role will change [like any industry]. The mundane tasks of an accountant will probably become automated; however, your role in the future will become more interesting; identifying problems and providing solutions as kkboyk mentioned.

From someone that is doing a degree in Accounting -- Tax Compliance is incredibly complicated (and I'm just referring to UK tax alone). As the world becomes more globalised - knowledgeable tax advisors to assist in tax planning will be in demand.
Trevish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it's still worth it.
Doing Accounting & Finance doesn't simply mean that you have to be an accountant. There can be other positions like Auditor, Financial Controller
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (61)
35.67%
I really love the subject (44)
25.73%
I don't know what else to do (22)
12.87%
I can't get a job (13)
7.6%
My parents want me to (4)
2.34%