The Student Room Group

Contraceptives

So i have the implant and the pill because i heard that you get irregular periods with just the implant. I've had the pill for 3 months and the implant for 2. Over the past week i have been feeling pain in the centre of my chest, my shoulder and today my middle right side of my back. The back pain was unbearable to the point where i couldn't breath and even now it still feel uncomfortable as if there's like a stone in my back.

A couple of weeks ago i read about a girl who took 2 pills a day some days and had a stroke ( estrogen clots blood ).

Does anybody know if this is serious or am i just over reacting??
Original post by Anonymous
So i have the implant and the pill because i heard that you get irregular periods with just the implant. I've had the pill for 3 months and the implant for 2. Over the past week i have been feeling pain in the centre of my chest, my shoulder and today my middle right side of my back. The back pain was unbearable to the point where i couldn't breath and even now it still feel uncomfortable as if there's like a stone in my back.

A couple of weeks ago i read about a girl who took 2 pills a day some days and had a stroke ( estrogen clots blood ).

I'm assuming that the doctor that gave you these knows you're using both? Either way, time to see a doctor. It might be nothing, it might be related, it might not be. No one here can tell you that. If you're having chest pains though and are having trouble breathing, that's absolutely a reason to see someone. I'd suggest calling 111 to see where to go based on the services in your area
Yep, although this is highly unlikely to be a stroke, this is talking to someone time just because of the symptoms.

This is the combined pill you're on as well as the implant?

The dosage of progesterone from the implant is fairly low: it works because it's constant and doesn't rely on memory for taking it. But the combined pill is also, taken properly, extremely reliable.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

You may get irregular periods on the implant but some also have them totally regularly and some get no periods at all. So I would try to go without the pill for a month or two to see what happens. There is no need to use both if you're fine as it does raise the risk of blood clots.

Whether it is to do with your contraception or not, it definitely doesn't sound good and you should see someone about it. Getting any pain that's stronger than just a slight ache for no apparent reason warrants a visit to your GP.

Quick Reply

Latest