alixtaha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
sorry mate gonna have to disagree with you there. my experience with gcse art has been very different so i think the course works w some people but not others, also it sounds like your teachers have had an effect making you not like it.

so im in year 11. starting my final exam unit in exactly a week. we have had 3 units so far since the start of year 10. in the start of year 10 for about three months, we had a very controlled unit about natural forms, everyone had to chose a fruit/veggie/spice etc. to focus the project on. we made study sheets from these, took photos, and created a sculpture inspired by our chosen object. i found this unit to be a nice n easy start to the course. got a 6.

then unit 2 came. 3 choices of question - crowds, emotion or human movement. i chose emotions. we were all required to research 2 artists OF OUR CHOICE for inspiration at the start of the unit as a starting point and create a developing idea. the unit was very free, with support from teachers. we were never told what to do, teacher made recommendations, if we don't like what she says, we tell her that. advice is individually tailored. the important of annotations was emphasised so we could show the development of ideas and why we were doing what we were doing. got a 6. im going back to improve on this unit this weekend. the beauty is that even though my drawing n painting wasn't to the highest standard i can get a lot of marks for annotations - annotations work in ur favour.

unit 3 (mock unit) - 7 questions, i chose 'wrap'. very free unit. i knew what i was doing. loved this unit. got a 7. complete freedom.

the point is, you can manipulate the course into what you want to do, i know a person who got a human figure question at the start of his year and created a final piece of a dragon - he got an A*. be inspired by what you research and do, if you find it boring, you're doing it wrong because U HAVE THE CONTROL to turn it into what you want. i cannot speak for the teaching element, talk to your teachers before you chose it about what u do - if ur interested, take it.

the truth about the course is different for everybody. why not find the the truth for yourself? - if you love ART (yes ART not just drawing or painting, but the process of creation) i would highly recommend it. do not take it if you think it'll be an easy GCSE that you can piss around with. it is NOT easy, i admit, it is tiring and effort, but its worth it for me.
BlackUrsus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my dood, art at my skl for gcse, isint even art imo, we dont even get taught skills, and its all this bs that we have to follow
tom123h456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What about textiles
username3459354
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by tom123h456)
What about textiles
I also do textiles but it's a lot better. It's very fun however if you're not confident with a sewing machine I would recommend you become familiar with one as the teacher will probably be helping people with coursework and won't have time to teach you how to thread up a machine. It depends on the size of the class though. I have 16 people in my year who do textiles. It's also very coursework heavy as I implied previously. If you like textiles though go for it! It's very rewarding to complete projects in textiles and a lot of fun if you like the theme the teachers give you. I've found it to have a lot more freedom than the art GCSE has.
Nirim
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’m in year 8 and I’ve been looking through my options when it comes to art. I agree with the whole ‘having to copy someone’s style is utter crap’ as we have to do it in the art lessons that I have now. It doesn’t help you to develop your own style, which is necessary to getting a career out of art, because if you copy someone’s art people will pick up on it and get mad. I’m just struggling to teach myself though and so I’m doing art as a gcse. Then I can pick bits out of different styles to develop my own style, while also working on my anatomy and the different mediums. But thanks for the input, because now I know more of what to expect.
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree 100%! I took both GCSE and A-Level fine art and OMG it took up so much of my time! A-Level was absolute hell though and way badder than GCSE. It stressed me out so much and I just couldn‘t be bothered to do the art. The process of finding an artist and then picking out specific aspects was just UGH. HATED IT. I really hate how you could be the a fantastic, technical artist yet score BS on it. Even my tutor said not to worry about it since it’s subjective 😂 honestly I’m not interested in fine art much so I have really unmotivated to do anything... I want to do video game art/design so I took both fine arts in GCSE and A-Level since it’s pretty much required and there weren’t any more art courses at my sixth form... huge waste of my my time tbh. I got my raw marks for my coursework back and wow I’m just glad I passed it
username4077018
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've loved art and drawing my entire life and have always wanted to have a career in it, so being able to do a GCSE on it sounded like the most amazing option ever. But when I actually did it, I got extremely stresed and even my depression got worse. There is nowhere near as much freedom as they say you have and you should NOT choose GCSE Art if you don't care about it very much. I've stupidly chosen it for A-Levels, but only because it's something I've always wanted to do. But I've had to warn some of my younger friends not to take it unless they're really willing to.
I was in every break, lunch and after-school for two years trying to finish it all.
Thankfully my teacher is very understanding of the stress and is one of the kindest teachers I've met in any subject, and I'll have her next year too, but if you're not strongly committed to Art, just save yourself and don't pick it.
JonNiels18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I completely agree with where you’re coming from. I used to enjoy drawing a lot more before I took Art as a GCSE, but now it feels so boring and irritating to me. I’m honestly appalled at what my teacher gave me as my unmoderated mark (65/96, and 58/96). I’m not taking it for AS because I just know it will be another nightmare like GCSE. Right now in Art (I chose it as my reserve for next year) we’re meant to be drawing bark on trees. ****ing forcing us to do **** we can’t even be bothered to do having been exhausted from other exams. And apparently this is to do with the theme for next year which is utter bullcrap considering I’m not even taking it further.It’s one of these things to me that feel you enjoy more when you’re younger, but as you grow up it becomes a little tedious in a school environment.So yeah, just wanted to put this here to let out my feelings on the matter. I predict I’ll probably get something like a 5 or 6 in Art due to my *****y scores.Sincerely, An angry adolescent.
Last edited by JonNiels18; 2 months ago
3pointonefour
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LockedVoice)
I love drawing, I also love the fact that art is a creativity outlet that can calm you down and make you feel happy. This however is NOT GCSE art. When I first wanted to pick the option in year 9 I was very glad to hear my teacher say that she would give us themes and we can draw whatever we want to around that particular theme.

I'm now in year 11 and this is not true at all. Every term we get 3 really boring and abstract artists to 'study.' What art means by study is copy their work, create a presentation on them and then take pictures to create an art piece in their style. This repeats through all of year 10 and 11. It's hell, if you're not good at ONE of the styles your grade will suffer a lot.

Not only is that a factor in your final grade but also ANNOTATION. let me explain why this is utter crap. If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

I could tell you how many hours I've poured into art pieces that have made me cry because of how much I hated doing them but I'm sure you'd rather hear more reasons for not picking GCSE Art. Here's another fact, do you like drawing anime or manga? Well you can forget the art GCSE then. Teachers WILL shame you for even mentioning it.

So there you have it. The truth about Art as a GCSE. Please don't take it unless art is necessary for your career. Save yourself.
GCSEs have never been about talent/skill. That goes for literally any subject. This society is structured in such a way that children are led to believe that they can literally persue any career, no matter how good or bad at it they may seem. Hence the arrival of "contemporary art". I'm not an art critic of an expert, but some of the art seen today is downright lazy and terrible but people accept it because art has become entirely subjective. In the past, art was very subjective. But at the same time, there were some things that were just "bad". It's the same here. In your case, talent can be made up for annotations. Those who don't have the talent can still get the grades and be told they're good at a subject just by jumping through hoops.
vivadelete17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
absolutely agree w OP, did my gcses this year and art was BY FAR the most stressful one. legit just don't do it, even ppl who love art in general n are taking it next year for A Level (that i know) admit that gcse art is fake af and just time consuming. srsly, only do it if u reallyyy wanna do art later in life. if u just kinda like art n hate all other creative options like me, or just wanna piss around in class, don't be fooled. u can't cruise by n still pass in this one- it genuinely takes up sm of ur time. 0/10. EDIT: ppl are saying u can manipulate the course to do what u want- thats true, but who cares?? the point is it's SOOO time consuming, even if u do what u want, to the point where u end up hating what u originally loved anyways. ygm??
gynostemma
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LockedVoice)
I love drawing, I also love the fact that art is a creativity outlet that can calm you down and make you feel happy. This however is NOT GCSE art. When I first wanted to pick the option in year 9 I was very glad to hear my teacher say that she would give us themes and we can draw whatever we want to around that particular theme.

I'm now in year 11 and this is not true at all. Every term we get 3 really boring and abstract artists to 'study.' What art means by study is copy their work, create a presentation on them and then take pictures to create an art piece in their style. This repeats through all of year 10 and 11. It's hell, if you're not good at ONE of the styles your grade will suffer a lot.

Not only is that a factor in your final grade but also ANNOTATION. let me explain why this is utter crap. If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

I could tell you how many hours I've poured into art pieces that have made me cry because of how much I hated doing them but I'm sure you'd rather hear more reasons for not picking GCSE Art. Here's another fact, do you like drawing anime or manga? Well you can forget the art GCSE then. Teachers WILL shame you for even mentioning it.

So there you have it. The truth about Art as a GCSE. Please don't take it unless art is necessary for your career. Save yourself.
I myself had mixed feelings on GCSE art. Often, I felt it could slightly curb your true creative desires. But let me break this down...

On artist study: You may not care about them, but you're not necessarily asked to. The reason you study artists is to really investigate how different ideas can be expressed in different ways, and how you can draw upon your experiences and resources for your work as they would their's. Not all artists people study in school are abstract, so it's a bit unfair to label them as boring if that's just what your school is doing. Depending on who one studies, the student may actually find the meanings of an artist's work fascinating.

Annotation: Art is subjective. Not everybody notices all the details of a piece or even likes it- so you need to point out your methods so it's obvious, and to really show that you know what you're doing and why. You may have done something right, but if the teacher can't understand why, they cant know you have the skill. What's crap to you may be good to someone else, and at least this "crap" person can be bothered to show that they're trying by explaining what they tried through words. Annotation is important. You wouldn't draw a comic strip to answer a question on a science or english paper for example to explain how you'd do a practical or to what extent the witches influence macbeth etc.

Anime and Manga: The style is fairly new, mainly emerging in the 70s- it's not necessarily like romanticism, fauvism, impressionism etc, what is known as "fine art". Many artists of the past didn't paint for money because art couldn't be sold to the masses in the way it is today- prints weren't available and pieces one of a kind. Manga was always commercial- it wasn't untill astro boy and sailor moon untill it became a thing. Though different artists have their own styles in manga and anime, be honest; how different are they really? Youthful girls have big bright eyes, crosses on the head represent anger, colours are bright or soft, blended and coloured solidly.... Within other, more modern styles like pop art, there's a marked difference between people like Andy Warhol and Eduardo Paolozzi, even though they both focus on pop culture with bright colours.
I'm not dismissing anime and manga as a whole, just explaining why many teachers dismiss it. It's not like I didn't have a massive weeaboo phase years 5-7, so please don't shoot me down.

Different exam boards have different schemes of work and different teachers execute it differently. It's not right to tell others not to do it based upon your highly individual experience; At least preface your post with that.
Xxgcroaactsexx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I get that at your school this is the course your taking but at my school it’s completely different. I take GCSE art myself and we are aloud to do any kind of artwork we want as long as it’s conneting to a theme. We can do any kind of artwork to express ourselves with the theme. So if you are looking to do art GCSE find out what it’s about as it’s not always liel that.
Aurorae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Completely agree with OP!! I knew my art was good, but had no idea why I wasn’t getting the grades - it’s because they weren’t direct copies of the artists pieces!! Absolutely ridiculous, but I guess it’s easier to grade that way. I wish I would’ve realised sooner, that way my coursework would be higher than a 6/7!!
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone asked me why I didn't do art, I hated the idea of being forced to draw things I didn't enjoy or when I felt uninspired.

I took music because I loved playing guitar, but it has exhuasted my passion for it.

I imagime if I took art, my love for it would also have disappeared.
artywannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my art course completely differently.
In year 10 we all had a theme, 'home' , and we could go into anything we wanted from them. The annotations were alot of work and you didnt get alot of choice in media. But we had to move to 3 different themes, so i moved mine from home to memories and nature.Then in year 11 get get to pick out of five themes, I chose 'the body' and did humans, then emotions, and then colour. I found it fun personally and i want to do it for a level
bamurrr908
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so i’m doing art gcse in northern ireland, idk where you have done it but that’s not what ours is like. not everything is linked to artists (in fact i’m working on annotating my contextual drawings right now). not annotating the work is just simply lazy because you don’t to write that much. Art isn’t just about drawing, it’s about sculpture, ceramics, research, photography and experiments etc too. If you have drawn something that is ‘crappy’ then fair enough if it actually is crappy and you can be annoyed about it but take into account that part of our gcse grade isn’t about experimentation. Experiments aren’t supposed to be ‘amazingly perfect’ and lastly, what your crappy is might be another person’s greatest achievement. fair enough you hated art gcse but really it’s your fault that you didn’t do more research going into it and also that doesn’t give you the permission to tell a bunch of people on the internet to not do it. i personally love art gcse and i think that it’s not ‘excruciatingly hard’ so that’s my opinion.
Boi_Up
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in Year 11 and doing Art GCSE for AQA. To be honest, I don't mind the annotations. I like explaining what I've done and how its meaning links to the theme and what not. But hey, that's my opinion.
Sellers11008
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently doing gcse art and I for one love it yes there’s a lot of work but if you keep on top of it it’s easy and as long as you have a passion and an open mind you’ll pass with flying colours you’ve gotta keep a strong mind set and remember that if you put in the work you’ll get it back
Carlos V
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry to hear about your experience learning art but have to congratulate you on the effort you make against all adversity. Please carry on drawing regardless what your experiences are in school. The fact that you have the strength of character to not give in when things get ugly will do you so much good in life, specially if you take up art as a career.
14Tanisha
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I loved art until year 10. GCSE art was a huge mistake.

It so time consuming and it takes away so much from the other like 9 subjects you have to do. As well as that I find that you are limited by the mark scheme. I would say that I’m half decent at drawing, but I got really pulled down because my annotation was bad, they told me it was mostly waffle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (84)
62.22%
No (51)
37.78%

Watched Threads