_a..a123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Completely agree ! ART GCSE DESTROYED MY CREATIVITY!and have now stopped it and started going back to my normal ,enjoyable ,stress free art self ,I do not know how my classmates carried it on + my gcse teacher disliked me so I found this a really hard GCSE
milk_tea.art
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hi! i think some of this varys on schools. i draw ina very styalised way, and my teachers utterly love it even letting me use it as some of my homework which is nice i know it can get repetitive but the reason of anotations is to pick out the techniques the artist uses, personaly to improve my art i look at peoples art which i like and copying it to the brushstrokes and this really helps improvement. in our school we also vary what we do, we do clay, ceramics and different mediums which helps with the creativity aspect as most of the time(especialy with clay) we do the boring stuff but also get to make somthing of our own in that style i hope this helps a few people choose art, just make sure you ask your teachers on what the course consists of good luck
Marsha2112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had this exact same experience, albeit 8 years ago. GCSE Art was a bloody nightmare, took up all of my time and I could never do enough work. Ended up with A*s/As but a C in Art. Which seemed ridiculous because for the other subjects, it was night-before revision. Art took up 10 hours a week and I was always behind.

I found it so restrictive that you had to work in this linear process - take photos, annotate them, observational drawings, copy some other artist's work, "development" and then final piece. Everything I drew had to somehow be related to the thing before to show development. Why is there 1 way of working? Why can't someone just draw something that they like and be marked on how good their drawing was? I found all the "deeper meaning" stuff *******s - I draw and paint things that I like, because the result will look good hanging up on a wall. There's no deeper meaning. Yet I had to force one, with the teacher badgering me with stuff like "Why did you paint the flowers blue?" and I couldn't just say "I haven't used blue yet so I thought I'd try it", it had to have a DEEPER meaning. My scientific brain just doesn't do this, neither with poetry or books. As they say in Love Island, it is what it is.

Before GCSE our work had genuinely just been marked on the quality of the drawing. If I'd known it was all about "research" and annotation, I would have done something else.

And before anyone tells me "Oh you don't know anything, that's how art works, you're too stupid if you think it's about drawing good pictures" - a lot of real life says otherwise. How many people from the top design schools now work at McDonalds, or don't work? And how many successful people that sell their art/crafts for a living were completely self-taught and just started making money from their hobby? There's not one correct way to do things in life. People who buy handmade things on Etsy don't ask about the inspiration or meaning - they just want something nice. Equally, you can just have an idea pop into your head out of nowhere and make it. You don't have to follow a set process. In trying to turn Art into a pretentious academic subject, a lot of the technical skills are not taught, and I didn't actually get much better at painting/drawing which to me was my whole motivation for doing Art in the first place!

TL;DR - hated it.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Currently suffering in Art as a result of a rotation system for technology. I'd agree with you; I'm a decent painter but that doesn't seem to come into the endless analysis of modern art pieces that look like something s*at our by a delusional cat.
14Tanisha
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Marsha2112)
I had this exact same experience, albeit 8 years ago. GCSE Art was a bloody nightmare, took up all of my time and I could never do enough work. Ended up with A*s/As but a C in Art. Which seemed ridiculous because for the other subjects, it was night-before revision. Art took up 10 hours a week and I was always behind.

I found it so restrictive that you had to work in this linear process - take photos, annotate them, observational drawings, copy some other artist's work, "development" and then final piece. Everything I drew had to somehow be related to the thing before to show development. Why is there 1 way of working? Why can't someone just draw something that they like and be marked on how good their drawing was? I found all the "deeper meaning" stuff *******s - I draw and paint things that I like, because the result will look good hanging up on a wall. There's no deeper meaning. Yet I had to force one, with the teacher badgering me with stuff like "Why did you paint the flowers blue?" and I couldn't just say "I haven't used blue yet so I thought I'd try it", it had to have a DEEPER meaning. My scientific brain just doesn't do this, neither with poetry or books. As they say in Love Island, it is what it is.

Before GCSE our work had genuinely just been marked on the quality of the drawing. If I'd known it was all about "research" and annotation, I would have done something else.

And before anyone tells me "Oh you don't know anything, that's how art works, you're too stupid if you think it's about drawing good pictures" - a lot of real life says otherwise. How many people from the top design schools now work at McDonalds, or don't work? And how many successful people that sell their art/crafts for a living were completely self-taught and just started making money from their hobby? There's not one correct way to do things in life. People who buy handmade things on Etsy don't ask about the inspiration or meaning - they just want something nice. Equally, you can just have an idea pop into your head out of nowhere and make it. You don't have to follow a set process. In trying to turn Art into a pretentious academic subject, a lot of the technical skills are not taught, and I didn't actually get much better at painting/drawing which to me was my whole motivation for doing Art in the first place!

TL;DR - hated it.
This puts it in words. I hated that linear way of working too. I finished my art GCSE this summer and it was hell. I made a picture out of denim in the style of Ian Berry because they said I didn’t have enough artists, then when I can out with the “deeper meaning” of the piece that they asked me to do they said that only one reason wasn’t very good and so they considered taking it out
sienna0305
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I feel exactly the same way, bar being interested in anime and manga and thinking “crap” work gets high marks (other people’s talent and work is subjective). I was always “good at drawing” out of my friends and my family and family friends always said i had a talent, really liked my illustrations etc and ended up only getting a C at gcse. I too, did not find any of the artists we had to look at very interesting and hated doing studies or “inspired by” work of styles and artists i found ugly or boring when i already had my own style and own stuff i wanted to do (which i’m pretty sure i never got to do hahaha) I was also always behind on coursework and had to spend a lot of time catching up at lunch and after school. It is definitely very draining and kills your passion putting a lot of time and effort and being proud of a piece then your tutor telling you it’s only a C/D. I don’t know about you but the course at my school included A LOT of textiles,clay, making physical 3d stuff or sculptures with paper mache and cardboard etc which i was never as good at but if seemed to really lean towards that rather than drawing/painting/charcoals etc which is not where my passion was.The workload definitely dragged down my other subjects aswell to the point where i wanted to drop it but ended up carrying on. I think unless you want to do it as a career and are prepared to “study” ALL TYPES of art and design for 4 years (5 if u do a foundation). Then don’t bother and be creative on your own time. It’s funny because i’m 19 now and people still tell me i’m talented at art and drawing and assume i got As in it at school which makes me think maybe if i had a different teacher and different course at another school i would’ve pursued it further. Oh well i’m good at other stuff
Ayesha234
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I agree but it depend which school you go to
Digitidal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
PLEASE! This needs to be pinned
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'll have my options soonish - is BS a good choice?
Digitidal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Business Studies is generally considered a 'soft' subject. It's got a large 'breadth' of knowledge required, in that you need to know a lot of terminology and concepts to a shallow extent, but it has a small 'depth' of content in that understanding isn't prioritized. What would you be picking otherwise?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Why do want to study Bulls***?
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Why do want to study Bulls***?
I expected better from the Moggster
Darkhawk2004
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am currently in year 11 of my art gcse and i love it. I am current studying Jack Kirby, and drawing marvel comic front pages. My teacher doesnt mind and marks it the same as all my other works (as i am doing more than one artist)

Edit: i misspelled mind
Last edited by Darkhawk2004; 2 months ago
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Darkhawk2004)
I am currently in year 11 of my art gcse and i love it. I am current studying Jack Kirby, and drawing marvel comic front pages. My teacher doesnt mind and marks it the same as all my other works (as i am doing more than one artist)

Edit: i misspelled mind
lucky you get a nice teacher, but the chances of that happening to everyone else are extremely tiny.
happy to see this thread is around, would completely agree - don't waste time by taking art gcse
_no_comment_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The one thing I'll say if the art exam board is AQA is... It is VERY TIME CONSUMING! this is because they have chucked a lot of content you need to do in such a short amount of time. If you love art and very interested in other artists work, all different types of style and could do all that all the time then go ahead. I'm in year 11 and I do enjoy it at times but it takes up so much of my time. I'd say out of the subjects I'm taking (Geog, RP, Drama and core), art is the most stressful. in year 9 I wanted to take it because I enjoyed it and i thought it'll be chilled but it isn't. if you're thinking of taking art just because it sounds fun then I'd advice taking something else and make sure you get strong English and maths and other subjects you need grades. my parents want me to drop it and focus more on getting good grades for the cores as I want to go into veterinary medicine. the teacher is as stressed out as all the students which also doesnt hep and makes the lesson unpleasant.
JonNiels18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username3459354)
I love drawing, I also love the fact that art is a creativity outlet that can calm you down and make you feel happy. This however is NOT GCSE art. When I first wanted to pick the option in year 9 I was very glad to hear my teacher say that she would give us themes and we can draw whatever we want to around that particular theme.

I'm now in year 11 and this is not true at all. Every term we get 3 really boring and abstract artists to 'study.' What art means by study is copy their work, create a presentation on them and then take pictures to create an art piece in their style. This repeats through all of year 10 and 11. It's hell, if you're not good at ONE of the styles your grade will suffer a lot.

Not only is that a factor in your final grade but also ANNOTATION. let me explain why this is utter crap. If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

I could tell you how many hours I've poured into art pieces that have made me cry because of how much I hated doing them but I'm sure you'd rather hear more reasons for not picking GCSE Art. Here's another fact, do you like drawing anime or manga? Well you can forget the art GCSE then. Teachers WILL shame you for even mentioning it.

So there you have it. The truth about Art as a GCSE. Please don't take it unless art is necessary for your career. Save yourself.
I came across this comment very recently - and I couldn’t agree more. GCSE Art sort of killed my creativity and has actually made me want to draw less, something I was quite good at. Maybe it was down to the fact that I just didn’t want to spend all my time writing down annotation after annotation, or my own laziness, but the subject in general just really annoyed me. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when I got a 6, because I genuinely thought I would get something like a 4 or a 5.

If people want to take it as a subject they’re passionate about and want to pursue in the future, then good for them, but one piece of advice I would give them is this - it’s a massive, MASSIVE commitment.
year11-kms
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In year 9, when I picked my options, I thought I would love GCSE Art. From years 7-9, I had a wonderful teacher who recommended that I choose art as she thought my work was really good. I loved Art so I picked it. That teacher left at the end of year 9.

Our new teacher in year 10 was alright. I didn't like her as much as my previous teacher but I didn't hate her. She also loved my work, all through the year she kept telling me stuff like "Wow this piece is amazing, you're working at a grade 9". I kept on top of all of my work and submitted my full sketchbook to her at the end of year 10. I was extremely disappointed when I received my results as I saw I only got a 5. I was confused as all of my work was annotated, the 2 artists that I had chosen were annotated, what was wrong with it? She left at the end of the year.

At the start of year 11, my third art teacher started working at my school. I don't like her, and honestly, I don't think she likes me either. In September we were given a choice of redoing our year 10 unit (yep, we spent a whole year just doing 'Order and Disorder') or doing a second topic ahead of January's exam topic. I chose to redo my year 10 book, as I hated the topic (we were allowed to change it if we wanted) and I wanted to improve on my 5 as my target is an 8. During the November/December mock season, I focused more on the exams than my coursework so I got a bit behind. I didn't catch up on it during the Christmas holidays due to spending time with my family. In January, we received our exam topic, so now I've got two books to work on. My teacher keeps moaning at me that I'm behind on my coursework (I know I'm behind, you've told me like 100 times!); I'm planning on catching up in the half-term. On Thursday I noticed I was missing a small artist response from my coursework book so I made it in the lesson, my teacher was like "No, why are you doing that? You need to be focusing on your exam book!" And yes, I understand that I should be focusing on that, but its only 40% of my final grade whereas my coursework is worth 60%, so I want to focus on my coursework (and I feel like that's a reasonable decision). She's also now moaning at me because when we were doing coursework in the lessons pre-Christmas, she told everyone to do two artists, and now she wants to know where my third artist it. Uhh, I never got one because you told me two?? And as far as I'm aware, two isn't three??

Does anyone want to know how I know she hates me?
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does seem that many students have issues with the way that GCSE art is organized. I guess a lot of it comes down to why you want to do a formal assessed qualification in art. If you're happy making your artwork then carry on doing that. But much of the drive in formal art education is to develop an understanding of your drives, your inner motivation and how your work relates to the art world, art history and your social context. Just a subjective qualitative assessment of the visual quality of your art is no way to run a formal education system. If you would rather focus on developing your technique in your chosen media then there's a myriad of routes to chose from life classes, photography clubs to the plethora of online resources. Other opinions are available.
coolestkid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I agree with that but that is hwat the teachers say to make you do it i am in year 8 and i am debating to pick art or not what should i do
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by coolestkid)
I agree with that but that is hwat the teachers say to make you do it i am in year 8 and i am debating to pick art or not what should i do
If you want to explore the wider contexts of your creativity and where it stands in the canon of western art, including explorations of other artists, techniques and perspectives then a formal fine art course (inc gcse) is the way to go. If your focus is primarily on refining your own techniques then other, less academic routes are probably more suitable. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (82)
62.12%
No (50)
37.88%

Watched Threads