The Student Room Group

Career as a movie producer?

Sorry for rambling but this gives context to my issue. Any help from those who have experience will be greatly appreciated.

When people ask me what I want to be when I'm older I always either say "I don't know" or make something up like a journalist. Truth is I didn't know what I wanted to be. During the past couple of days I started considering what I wanted to do in the future. I've always had passion for one thing or another but it didnt work out but one thing that did was movies and TV shows. I've watched many moving pictures in my life and have great respect for those that create these projects. I would stay up late at night and watch the Oscars or the teen choice awards and always dreamed of going up and accepting a prestigious award.

I've done research and was thinking of being a movie producer. The problem is I know how competitive the movie industry is. I want to be a part of the elite Hollywood society but don't know if I'll make it. I've looked up to their life style but don't know how I would do the same.
I understand you would need lots of connections and be able to network. I know you would need to take up most of your time as it ain't a 9-5 job. But what would be the reality of it? What are the chances that I could reach the level the famous producers are at?

Also I need advice when trying to convince my parents of what I want to do. I've bought up this topic before and they keep dismissing it saying they want me to a have a stable job.

I've had some experience with the industry such as running a BBC news report team for my school as editor in chief. Ive been a part of the school film team where we would use film equipment (high level) to record special school days. But that is more journalism than creating my own project which I prefer making my own stuff.

Questions:

1) what are the chances of getting to a high level?
2) should I bother?
3) how would you suggest I get experience?
4) how would I be able to network?
5) should I know certain things?
6) what is the reality of the job?
7) what should be my back up?
8) how much would I be making?
9) what should I be cautious of?
I'm in a similar situation, but slightly worse because I'm in debt. I'm doing a degree in Film and Television Studies and it has been pretty awful. To be honest, I can't really give you many answers, because I feel exactly the same. Sometimes I feel completely hopeless, but sometimes I think I'll be OK. When I graduate, my plan is to move to London and start as a runner. A lot of people start like that. Just look at Charlie Brooker, guy didn't even graduate and started by writing in a video-game magazine. So it's definitely possible.

When it comes to convincing your parents, just tell them that you'd rather say that you tried, than die having not even attempted to reach your dream. At the end of the day, it's your life. Your mistakes. They don't have a final say.

Your experience seems good so far! (better than mine, I was a runner for Disney a couple of times, but that's about it).

Some of your questions:
2) Yes. I think you should. What else are you going to do? Unless you are really passionate about something else, then you have no other choice. You need to do something that you'll be happy doing.

3) Send emails and make calls to companies. Facebook has a lot of groups for runners, where jobs are posted. Also, MOVE TO LONDON.

4) Same as 3) really.

5) Not really. I know some people who graduated from the film course at Bournemouth uni, one of the best unis for film in the country. And they were doing the same **** as I was, they were runners starting from the bottom. There's no magic course that will teach you anything that is essential for you to work in this industry. You learn most of it on the field.

6) A lot of freelancing. A lot of waiting for opportunities. Getting lucky. It's not easy. I feel sad often about it...but again, what else are you gonna do? I have nothing else I'm passionate about, so I have to do this.

7) What are your other interests?

8) Yeah, don't go into this for the money.

9) Unis selling you Mickey mouse courses.
Reply 2
Original post by solar222222
I'm in a similar situation, but slightly worse because I'm in debt. I'm doing a degree in Film and Television Studies and it has been pretty awful. To be honest, I can't really give you many answers, because I feel exactly the same. Sometimes I feel completely hopeless, but sometimes I think I'll be OK. When I graduate, my plan is to move to London and start as a runner. A lot of people start like that. Just look at Charlie Brooker, guy didn't even graduate and started by writing in a video-game magazine. So it's definitely possible.

When it comes to convincing your parents, just tell them that you'd rather say that you tried, than die having not even attempted to reach your dream. At the end of the day, it's your life. Your mistakes. They don't have a final say.

You're experience seems good so far! (better than mine, I was a runner for Disney a couple of times, but that's about it).

Some of your questions:
2) Yes. I think you should. What else are you going to do? Unless you are really passionate about something else, then you have no other choice. You need to do something that you'll be happy doing.

3) Send emails and make calls to companies. Facebook has a lot of groups for runners, where jobs are posted. Also, MOVE TO LONDON.

4) Same as 3) really.

5) Not really. I know some people who graduated from the film course at Bournemouth uni, one of the best unis for film in the country. And they were doing the same **** as I was, they were runners starting from the bottom. There's no magic course that will teach you anything that is essential for you to work in this industry. You learn most of it on the field.

6) A lot of freelancing. A lot of waiting for opportunities. Getting lucky. It's not easy. I feel sad often about it...but again, what else are you gonna do? I have nothing else I'm passionate about, so I have to do this.

7) What are your other interests?

8) Yeah, don't go into this for the money.

9) Unis selling you Mickey mouse courses.

Thanks this really helped.
Original post by Mr_Robot
Thanks this really helped.

Two mores things:

a) If you are between 16-19, definitely apply to this:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/education-research/5-19-film-education-scheme-2013-2017/bfi-film-academy-scheme

b) There's this job I saw yesterday that might interest you for This Morning (gotta start somewhere):

https://itv.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=1700023F&lang=en#.WkS-ubrx9y0.gmail

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending