How do you check a used car for oil leaks? Watch

Reloaded
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Last time I viewed a used car, my knowledgable mate found an oil leak, but I forgot to ask him how to check, and now I will have to view a car myself this weekend.

How should I go about checking for leaks? eg should the engine be running first, should I check the gasket afterwards? Anything/anywhere in particular to shine a torch at?

Thanks
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
go when its light

make sure the car is cold when u view it - i.e not recently driven

look under the bonnet for oily residue - i am not 100% sure how to specifically check for a leak tho - but ensure the levels are good - too low indicates they probably not been looking after the car properly.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Shine a light under the underside and have a nose for droplets of oil clinging to the car.
Also have a look at the ground underneath the car for oil patches.

Oil leaks never bothered me. Mind you, the kind of cars I drive if its not leaking oil then theres none left in the engine!
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Land Rover owner motto - "It's not leaking oil, it's just marking its territory"

Small oil leaks are common on older cars, and providing it's not excessive they're not something I'd worry about too much.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A common leak is at the rocker cover gasket, all Ford's at 10 years old or over seem to this and its not really a problem, if you really cannot live with it is a very cheap and easy repair. Have a good look at the sump underneath the car as is if the sump is leaking they can be expensive to repair.

I would be more concerned about a car burning oil than leaking oil (depending where the leak is) is though. Oil burning can be a bit harder to spot as there are things you can buy to hide it (STP Stop Smoke).
Turtle4288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Be suspicious if the car being shown to you is parked on gravel, and if it is then on returning from your test drive ask if you can park it on the road and look under the car 10 minutes later.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont think ive ever had a car that didnt have an oil leak.
Never bothered me to be honest. At least it reminds you to top it up from time to time.
The MGBV8 had an interesting oil leak... it leaked where the dipstick tube entered the block untill i took it out and changed the rubber.
Basically, the crank case would pressureise and squirt a tiny amount of oil past the dipstick tube and onto the hot left hand exhaust manifold.

It was particularly fun at traffic lights... you'd get a smell come up from the hole around the gear lever (never managed to sort that out) and a puff of smoke come out of the left hand wheel well.
Used to make me laugh. Theres just something about the smell of burning oil!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads