The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

How many years maintenance loan do you receive?

I went to a university from 2016/2017 and dropped out (received both tuition and maintenance loans).

I then went to another university from 2017 (September) and dropped out late November, they have stopped further payments (blocked them), and it appears as though they are calculating if I need to make any repayments but I assume have not got back to me yet due to the Christmas period. I do not think they have or will pay the university for that term meaning I will probably have to pay it myself.

So the question is, depending on two different scenarios:

If I have reveived two years of funding for tuition and maintenance loans will I only be funded for my last two years if I start another course in September 2018?

Or if I was only paid a maintenance loan would I still reveive both maintenance and tuition fee loans for the next course?

On the phone the student finance advisor told me that I would still receive maintenance loans until I graduate regardless of whether I receive the tuition fee loan or not - and a few others on here said so too.

Does anyone know how this work? Is there a cap to how much maintenance loan you receive (I know there is limited tuition fee).
Original post by Sarahalishajahan
I went to a university from 2016/2017 and dropped out (received both tuition and maintenance loans).

I then went to another university from 2017 (September) and dropped out late November, they have stopped further payments (blocked them), and it appears as though they are calculating if I need to make any repayments but I assume have not got back to me yet due to the Christmas period. I do not think they have or will pay the university for that term meaning I will probably have to pay it myself.

So the question is, depending on two different scenarios:

If I have reveived two years of funding for tuition and maintenance loans will I only be funded for my last two years if I start another course in September 2018?

Or if I was only paid a maintenance loan would I still reveive both maintenance and tuition fee loans for the next course?

On the phone the student finance advisor told me that I would still receive maintenance loans until I graduate regardless of whether I receive the tuition fee loan or not - and a few others on here said so too.

Does anyone know how this work? Is there a cap to how much maintenance loan you receive (I know there is limited tuition fee).

1. You get paid maintenance regardless.
2. You get Degree length + 1 gift year. It looks like you have accessed finance (fees or maintenance) on two years, so you have degree length -1 status i.e you will be funded for tuition from year 2 onwards.
3. You can try and get either of those two years discounted if you make a compelling personal reason claim and are successful. This means the reason you left was down to some major family even or your health physical or mental forced you to leave. You generally need medical evidence.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
I have a similar query, I've had to pay for this year of tuition by myself, as I am no longer entitled to tuition fees, however am I still entitled to maintenance loan?

Quick Reply