lucioh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have offers to study veterinary medicine next year however I have quite a lot of tattoos and I'm a little worried that this is not okay for vet med? None are in areas that can't be covered (no face / neck / hands etc) and none are rude, explicit or even unrelated to the career but I spoke to someone a while back who said I would never be hired if I had tattoos.

On open days and such I've never seen a vet student with tattoos either so I am a little worried. I love my tattoos and don't see why I should be judged for having them as they don't reflect my work ethic, intelligence etc but I just don't want to spend 5 years pursuing my dream to qualify and have it be such an issue for me!

Any advice?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucioh)
I have offers to study veterinary medicine next year however I have quite a lot of tattoos and I'm a little worried that this is not okay for vet med? None are in areas that can't be covered (no face / neck / hands etc) and none are rude, explicit or even unrelated to the career but I spoke to someone a while back who said I would never be hired if I had tattoos.

On open days and such I've never seen a vet student with tattoos either so I am a little worried. I love my tattoos and don't see why I should be judged for having them as they don't reflect my work ethic, intelligence etc but I just don't want to spend 5 years pursuing my dream to qualify and have it be such an issue for me!

Any advice?
I hate tattoos. They are so chavy. That said my son is covered in a sleeve tattoo. He does not have any visible unless he rolls his sleeves up. My daughter in law also has tattoos. She is a deputy head and may soon get a head post. They have never held her back. But again she covers them up.

Samantha Cameron had a tattoo and she is practically royalty. Just make sure that for interviews you cover them up
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Any advice?
I’m a med applicant I also have a tattoo and am planning to get several more. Cover them up for interviews (it’s a shame you have to, but interviewers are often older people and may be more conservative) and you should be absolutely fine!
Sweetpeasw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Any advice?
At the vets I do work experience at, nearly all the vets and vet nurses have tattoos of some sort x
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I worked for a large engineering firm and loads of people openly had tattoos in the office, and many of the staff at my local vets have tattoos. Cover them up for the interview but you should be fine, so many people have them now (myself included) that no one really cares.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where are your tattoos? On your forearms? If so, where and what are they?

Unlike everyone else in this thread, I'm actually a vet.

Very tattoo dependent, very location dependent and a bit of luck
spacelumps
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucioh;[url="tel:75327410")
75327410[/url]]I have offers to study veterinary medicine next year however I have quite a lot of tattoos and I'm a little worried that this is not okay for vet med? None are in areas that can't be covered (no face / neck / hands etc) and none are rude, explicit or even unrelated to the career but I spoke to someone a while back who said I would never be hired if I had tattoos.

Any advice?
Plenty of people in my year in vet have tattoos and piercings, including me. Even my vet has one. At interviews I wouldn't display them purposefully but unless you were going into large animal practice with an old school vet I can't see it being a problem, not any more so than any other career.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a vet too and agree it is location dependent. We had a no visible tattoos or body piercings (except for normal ear piercings) clause built into our employees contracts.

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Where are your tattoos? On your forearms? If so, where and what are they?

Unlike everyone else in this thread, I'm actually a vet.

Very tattoo dependent, very location dependent and a bit of luck
Cowie315
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Any advice?
There isn't a health and safety issue with you having tattoos, so as far as vet school is concerned it shouldn't be an issue. They might want you to cover up to look 'professional' but the attitude towards tattoos is changing.

I have a tattoo on my elbow, no one has said anything, you will need to be bare to above the elbow for large animal.
You need to also consider the type of work place who would reject you for it, are they going to be then be the right place for you to work?

Piercings are a different issue as those can be a health and safety risk. Shouldn't be an issue with tattoos, others on my degree have them too.
orangeoranges
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My vet has an eyebrow piercing. Tattoos won't be a problem as long as they are not offensive. Well-done tattoos will get you compliments!
Kiki3anne1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wow mybe some people should keep there opinions to themselves 🤣
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Although employers should not judge tattoos that are not offensive and can be covered up if required, there will certainly be some employers who will judge and discriminate on this basis.

Clients might also judge you - attitudes are changing but perhaps not so with the older generation. I've been occasionally judged by my physical appearance (because I look young) so I suspect other aspects of your appearance may also be scrutinised by clients.

Such is the world we live in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
68.24%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.51%

Watched Threads