Rhoadissimus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Anyone here do, or had an offer for, Classics? I feel a bit like we're non-existant at the moment. There must be some out there in the vast sea of TSRers!

What offer and college did you apply to(if you are holding an offer)?

How do you like the course(if you're a current student)?

Thanks and hope to see some Classicists on here soon!

:tsr2:
puppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm in my fourth year of the 4 year course at Trinity. It's *****in' and I'm a really awesome person. Wooo Classics.
Rhoadissimus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Yay! There is a Classicist on here!
How hard was it to pick up Latin and Greek? That must have been MAJOR!
How many other Classicists are there?
Lol, Im glad you're awesome! Aren't all Classicists by nature?
jammy21
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Which are the best colleges at which to study Classics (3 year course)?

Does any current Classics student (if they exist on TSR) have advice on applying for this course?

Thanks
billybob13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think there is any such thing as 'the best colleges to study Classics at'. The teaching should be of a high standard throughout, but then I'm not a current student, so am not sufficiently qualified to say.

I did however apply successfuly this year so can give you some advice. My main one would be to do lots of reading on aspects of Classics that interest you e.g Greek tragedy. Make sure you make notes on what you read, because if you're anything like me you forget what you've read fairly soon after! Other things would be to go to Classical lectures, see Classical plays e.g Trojan Women was on at the National recently, go to the British Museum and anything else which is relevant to the subject.
jammy21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well clearly some colleges' Classics Tripos results are going to be better than others. That is what I had in mind when I posed the question (thinking someone might have access to these) but thank you for your advice nevertheless.
Galatea
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There really is not going to be a huge difference between colleges results wise; they're all going to be excellent.
I'm not sure if individual college results for each subject are publicly available, but if you wanted an overall view, there's always the Tompkins table, though this isn't subject specific. Emma's normally top of this table.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jammy, if you're female, and really bothered about league tables, have a look at Newnham (no, seriously). We get amongst the best results in the university for Classics. (And Medicine).

This information isn't publicly available, though, so I'm afraid I don't know the rank order of every subject/college.

The Tompkins Table, by the way, tells you very little. Sorry! *shrugs*
lizzy1999
Report 12 years ago
When there are only one or two classicists in each year in most colleges any statistics are going to mean very very little....
proudclod
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Newnham has the lovely Mary Beard directing studies (I'm pretty sure, anyway), so you'll be well kept. But there's no difference in the quality of education you'll get at any given college. Choose one on the basis of where you want to live, and who you want to work in close proximity to.

Oh, and as far as advice goes - if you're applying for the three year course, probably worth making sure that both your languages are up to speed. A large number of the recruits each year have gone to Bryanston or similar to polish their Greek. But equally, as the first respondant said, remember the course is not all about languages - have a look at art/archaeology/philosophy, whatever interests you, and set aside time to read and do stuff you care about. That way, come interview, you'll have something to talk about.

I am not a classicist. But I do know some. They seem nice.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lizzy1999)
When there are only one or two classicists in each year in most colleges any statistics are going to mean very very little....
Indeedy.
But, having just done a random search of 6 colleges, they have more than one or two per year:
Newnham = 6
Trinity = 10
John's = 4
Gonville & Caius = 6-9
Corpus = 10-15 (over the 3 years)
So it's not *that* small a subject. And Newnham gots the most 1sts last year. :p: (And yes, Prof. Beard's one of our several fellows).

BUT: proudclod is right -- the quality of education should be the same everywhere you go. (This is obviously not absolutely possible to guarantee, but it's also impossible to predict). Also, when you develop specific interests, you will be shoved around all over the place in order to (hopefully) get the best supervision available. So, donm't worry too much about colleges -- despite people's frequent claims they are, by and large, much of a muchness.

I envy the Classicists. SUCH a cool subject!
billybob13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
I envy the Classicists. SUCH a cool subject!
Can I ask why you think that?
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by billybob13)
Can I ask why you think that?
Odd question. But yes!

Because: they get to study the languages that are the foundation of our own (except Anglo-Saxon), and the literature that was the touchstone of ours for a very long time indeed. Because they can, if they like, branch out into all kinds of areas -- history, archaeology, languages, anthropology, philosophy...hell, ancient farming techniques! Because they can study a whole civilization if they like, like few other degrees can. Because the skills they should acquire along the way are really VERY useful indeed (with such a broad subject, that happens -- and it's a great help for everything in the future, even if it has nothing to do with Classics). AND on top of that it's really quite a funky faculty at Cambridge.
jammy21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thank you for the responses people. King's and Trinity appear to have the largest Classics contingents. I'd prefer to go somewhere with more than one or two people studying the subject. Epitome: I'm not female but I am aware of Newnham's general excellence: my mum matriculated there in 1973.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jammy21)
Epitome: I'm not female but I am aware of Newnham's general excellence: my mum matriculated there in 1973.
Ooh, say hello to your mum from me! (I hope she's still in contact with the college every now and again?)
rebel without a cause
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hello
i have an offer (*fingers crossed*) for classics!!! wwoop go classics!
can anyone give me an idea of the workload etc? (I'm doing Greek from scratch)

Thanks!
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey hey!

There's another (old) thread on this in the Courses & Colleges forum -- I'll ask for this to be moved in thtere, just to keep things tidy!

If you're doing Greek from scratch, rebel, are you going to Bryanston?
Lidka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're doing Greek from scratch, rebel, are you going to Bryanston?
Wooo, Bryanston.

Epitome, do you reckon that there's some way we could squeeze ourselves onto Cambridge's "Greek Week", just to consolidate? It's something I considered last year but didn't get round to...
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lidka)
Epitome, do you reckon that there's some way we could squeeze ourselves onto Cambridge's "Greek Week", just to consolidate? It's something I considered last year but didn't get round to...
Was considering the same thing. I'm not sure, but the MPhil students (doing stuff like Ancient Philosophy from Phil rather than Classics -- like Alison; and Medieval History, Theology or Med/Ren Englings) have something like this too. I dunno if it's exactly the same thing, or a parallel week. Certainly worth finding out. TBH, I can't imagine that the Classics Fac is going to object to people wanting to learn Greek...

You're the one actually doing Greek -- could you get in touch with your supervisor and ask? Otherwise, I can try to find out through college/friends doing MPhils. Let me know if (a) you find anything out, or (b) want me to. Would be good. Will be going up to Cam a fortnight early, as ever...
Lidka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Was considering the same thing. I'm not sure, but the MPhil students (doing stuff like Ancient Philosophy from Phil rather than Classics -- like Alison; and Medieval History, Theology or Med/Ren Englings) have something like this too. I dunno if it's exactly the same thing, or a parallel week. Certainly worth finding out. TBH, I can't imagine that the Classics Fac is going to object to people wanting to learn Greek...

You're the one actually doing Greek -- could you get in touch with your supervisor and ask? Otherwise, I can try to find out through college/friends doing MPhils. Let me know if (a) you find anything out, or (b) want me to. Would be good. Will be going up to Cam a fortnight early, as ever...
Yeah, certainly shall email her; she knows how much help I need with my grammar! Will get back to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads