New Piercing Swollen!!!

Watch this thread
kojifj
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, so I got my second lobe piercing on Tuesday and yesterday I woke up and my left ear was swollen and super sore. Thought it would get better but today it hurts even more but swelling has stayed the same. A tiny tiny bit of blood has appeared about the earring. Do I need to see a doctor? I've been putting salty water on it the last few days. Let me know what I should do! Thanks X
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I had this too, and just cleaned it a lot. But it'd probably wise to see a doctor if the swelling and bleeding continues
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Definitely, see a doctor. I gave someone close to me who this happened to and it was due to an allergic reaction she didn't know she had. She had some sort of injection in her ears to reduce the size.
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by S.H.Rahman)
Definitely, see a doctor. I gave someone close to me who this happened to and it was due to an allergic reaction she didn't know she had. She had some sort of injection in her ears to reduce the size.
It's not like crazy sollen. Just slightly, like people wouldn't even really notice unless I told them. I don't think it's an allergic reaction because I have three other piercing which have been perfectly fine.
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by S.H.Rahman)
if it does get worse, I will see a doctor though. Thank you
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
I had this too, and just cleaned it a lot. But it'd probably wise to see a doctor if the swelling and bleeding continues
Thank you. How long did it take for yours to go?
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kojifj)
Thank you. How long did it take for yours to go?
Ooh I'm not sure, it was a while ago. I had pain for about 2 weeks but I think the swelling remained for about a week?

Also try putting some ice on it, it should help numb it a little
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Ooh I'm not sure, it was a while ago. I had pain for about 2 weeks but I think the swelling remained for about a week?

Also try putting some ice on it, it should help numb it a little
Okay, thank you so much!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
its likely just a minor infection with little to worry about but if you want to err on the side of caution it might be wise to speak to a pharmacist/doctor/etc.
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by Napp)
its likely just a minor infection with little to worry about but if you want to err on the side of caution it might be wise to speak to a pharmacist/doctor/etc.
How can I treat it myself? Is there any way of making it less swollen quickly?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
How can I treat it myself? Is there any way of making it less swollen quickly?
All i can think of is an antiseptic cream and ice i'm afraid. You could always, if you feel so inclined, ring 111 and ask for their advice on the matter?
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by Napp)
All i can think of is an antiseptic cream and ice i'm afraid. You could always, if you feel so inclined, ring 111 and ask for their advice on the matter?
Okay, thanks! X
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Put your finger in the piercing and rip it off!!! Naw jking don’t actually do that
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
Put your finger in the piercing and rip it off!!! Naw jking don’t actually do that
lol tempted
username3614714
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, so I got my second lobe piercing on Tuesday and yesterday I woke up and my left ear was swollen and super sore. Thought it would get better but today it hurts even more but swelling has stayed the same. A tiny tiny bit of blood has appeared about the earring. Do I need to see a doctor? I've been putting salty water on it the last few days. Let me know what I should do! Thanks X
Happened to me too but in my cartilage which is more high risk anyways but I had a reaction to the type of earring even though for the first weeks there was no reaction and the swelling didn't go down for almost two days and hurt a lot so my parents asked my neighbours who are doctors and nurses and they advised I should take it out and im so glad I followed their advice as looking back now the swelling wouldn't have gone down and would've given permanent damage and would've stayed painful. You should consider taking it out or putting in a different type of earring if it hasn't improved or just stayed the same within the next week.
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by conconnie)
Happened to me too but in my cartilage which is more high risk anyways but I had a reaction to the type of earring even though for the first weeks there was no reaction and the swelling didn't go down for almost two days and hurt a lot so my parents asked my neighbours who are doctors and nurses and they advised I should take it out and im so glad I followed their advice as looking back now the swelling wouldn't have gone down and would've given permanent damage and would've stayed painful. You should consider taking it out or putting in a different type of earring if it hasn't improved or just stayed the same within the next week.
The thing is, I don't think it's anything to do with the type of earring because my right ear is completely fine. Thanks for your advice though. I'm going to wait a bit longer and see how it goes. Do you know if I have to turn my earring everyday? It hurts SOOOO much when I turn my left earring..
username3614714
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The thing is, I don't think it's anything to do with the type of earring because my right ear is completely fine. Thanks for your advice though. I'm going to wait a bit longer and see how it goes. Do you know if I have to turn my earring everyday? It hurts SOOOO much when I turn my left earring..
You are usually meant to turn it 180 one way and then back everyday
Keen Bean #1
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The bit of my ear around one of my piercings got quite swollen and a bit bloody after I got it done, and it stayed like that for ages, and I tried so many things but it just wouldn't heal. I really didn't want to take it out, and then one day someone told me to try using plastic earrings, and I did and it healed up really quickly. I think they were called 'surgical plastic' or something but basically they just allowed it to heal much better. How long has it been swollen for?
kojifj
Rep:
(Original post by Keen Bean #1)
The bit of my ear around one of my piercings got quite swollen and a bit bloody after I got it done, and it stayed like that for ages, and I tried so many things but it just wouldn't heal. I really didn't want to take it out, and then one day someone told me to try using plastic earrings, and I did and it healed up really quickly. I think they were called 'surgical plastic' or something but basically they just allowed it to heal much better. How long has it been swollen for?
It's been swollen for 2 whole days but this morning, the swelling has really gone done! However, the pain in my left ear lobe is insane. It hurts so so much and it's bleeding whenever I turn my earring. Very, very sore.
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Don't put antiseptic cream on it and don't twist it! Twisting the piercing will just irritate and possibly tear the newly healed skin. The best thing to do is just to leave it be, especially if it's bleeding. For new piercings, I usually put my salt water solution in a spray bottle so I can clean it without having to irritate the piercing itself by moving it around too much. Make sure your salt water isn't too salty because that can make things worse. Also, don't clean it more than twice a day otherwise a scab won't be able to form and it won't be able to heal properly.

Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation about piercings from piercers that aren't properly qualified so be careful! Swelling is pretty normal and should be down within a week, if not then maybe get it checked out, and keep an eye out for signs of infection (coloured discharge, feels hot, very red etc). If you think it's infected, don't take out the jewellery and go and see a doctor. Piercings done with a gun usually have a lot more inflammation than ones done with a needle so more swelling is expected.

If you need any other advice feel free to dm me, I'm no expert but I have healed about 10 ear piercings in my time haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (68)
16.23%
The paper was reasonable (204)
48.69%
Not feeling great about that exam... (102)
24.34%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
10.74%

Watched Threads