Sarah_g_24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so just a quick question which should be simple but I can't seem to find the straightforward answer to.
Are aquaporins a part of osmosis (diffusion of water across a partially permeable membrane), or are they just a part of facilitative diffusion of water?
emx_eco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sarah_g_24)
Hi, so just a quick question which should be simple but I can't seem to find the straightforward answer to.
Are aquaporins a part of osmosis (diffusion of water across a partially permeable membrane), or are they just a part of facilitative diffusion of water?
I think aquaporins are a specific type of channel proteins which facilitate osmosis. E.g. you have some channel proteins which specifically facilitate the diffusion of sodium ions, its the same principle for aquaporins.
emx_eco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sarah_g_24)

Osmosis- the movement of water down a water potential gradient
Facilitated diffusion- aided diffusion across a membrane
Aquaporins- protein channels which facilitate the movement of water across a membrane via osmosis

Does this make sense?
Sarah_g_24
Rep:
?
(Original post by emx_eco)
I think aquaporins are a specific type of channel proteins which facilitate osmosis. E.g. you have some channel proteins which specifically facilitate the diffusion of sodium ions, its the same principle for aquaporins.
Okay so the aquaporins allow osmosis to take place by the movement of water molecules from a high to a low water potential until it reaches an equilibrium?
Sarah_g_24
Rep:
?
(Original post by emx_eco)
Osmosis- the movement of water down a water potential gradient
Facilitated diffusion- aided diffusion across a membrane
Aquaporins- protein channels which facilitate the movement of water across a membrane via osmosis

Does this make sense?
yes thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (32)
19.16%
Labour (68)
40.72%
Liberal Democrats (33)
19.76%
Green Party (7)
4.19%
Brexit Party (4)
2.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
1.8%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.4%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)