Turn on thread page Beta

Should the UK introduce an Exit Visa to prevent loss of skilled people? watch

• View Poll Results: Should we have an Exit Visa system to prevent loss of skilled Brits.
    Yes otherwise there will be a shortage of engineers doctors etc
    11.30%
    No
    88.70%

ReputationRep:
    I fear there are a lot of British people who are planning on leaving Britain once we are out of Europe. Many of them are skilled.

I think we need some kind of Exit Visa to prevent skilled Brits leaving to work abroad. If you have graduated with a valuable degree then you should work or do post grad study in the U.K. for 5 years after graduation. That’s only fair. I mean we have received an excellent free education from 5 years old to 18 and can go to university. It’s wrong that we thrn give our skills to France or Germany who never even gave us our education in the first place. We could lose teachers, doctors engineers etc.

At the end of the day we are leaving the EU to make our country better, not giving them our skills and knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Umm no. None should be forced to stay here if they don’t want to. I believe people should go wherever their skills take them. If the UK doesn’t value then, then the rest of the world is open. No country owns anyone.

EDIT: Check out my response thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5120154
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I fear there are a lot of British people who are planning on leaving Britain once we are out of Europe. Many of them are skilled.

I think we need some kind of Exit Visa to prevent skilled Brits leaving to work abroad. If you have graduated with a valuable degree then you should work or do post grad study in the U.K. for 5 years after graduation. That’s only fair. I mean we have received an excellent free education from 5 years old to 18 and can go to university. It’s wrong that we thrn give our skills to France or Germany who never even gave us our education in the first place. We could lose teachers, doctors engineers etc.

At the end of the day we are leaving the EU to make our country better, not giving them our skills and knowledge!
    I agree. If a person receives state education then they must contribute to the state for about 10 years before receiving an exit visa to leave the country.

If not, they must return all the funds that was used to train them.

ReputationRep:

What on earth makes you think that? It could happen of course - if the pound collapses - but of recent times there has not been a lot of people moving to France or Germany even with the benefit of EU passports. Those that do go for skilled jobs are rarely new graduates - there just isn't much demand for them (other than a freaky few maths/ IT types). Lots of French graduates move to the UK to find work - there is not a massive requirement for more people in France.

This sound like the juvenile threat to leave the UK/ Aus/ US whenever a new government is elected. Look at what happened in the US after Trump came to power. Did many people leave? No! Its just not that easy to get jobs and visas. The world is not crying out for more arts/ humanities graduates.

ReputationRep:
    If things are so bad in the UK that you need to force them to stay, then what does that say about the overall state of the country?

If you have a problem, and all you're ever worried about are the symptoms, then your underlying problem will just carry on getting worse and worse. The only way to solve a problem, is to focus on the root causes.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an idea from the cold war era in the Soviet Union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I agree. If a person receives state education then they must contribute to the state for about 10 years before receiving an exit visa to leave the country.

So that means that someone can't go abroad for a holiday. Or what if a person wants to go abroad to study as a student? What if someone needs to go abroad on a business meeting?

It sounds so simple on paper, but it will be incredibly difficult and complicated to control as there are so many legitimate reasons for someone to leave the country (emmigrate abroad).

Restricting peoples ability of going abroad was a policy that was used by many communist reigimes, so one could say that the UK is a totalitarian state if it adopts such a policy.

ReputationRep:
    No, that would punish people who worked hard for a degree.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Even if the options with their degree are much better?

ReputationRep:
    you know people would leave anyway if you introduced that

ReputationRep:
    I think some Brexit supporters wish to turn Britain in to North Korea. The Hermit State mark II.

ReputationRep:
    No let's properly facilitate our people with resources needed to be skilled

ReputationRep:

Private companies and individuals have tried doing this sort of thing to consumers in the past, but UK law has air-tight protections for people against this type of activity.

If you provide any goods or services for free, then the recipient is under no legal obligation to pay any money for it afterwards, and it is illegal for the provider to either chase them for repayment or withold other offers of goods and services on that basis either.

UK courts have a precedent for this already - and the courts are independent of the government too, so they would almost certainly throw out the case out in seconds.

The only way it would be possible would be for the UK parliament to first overturn the law which protects people against this activity by private companies - at which point it would be open season for people to turn around and start chasing people for all kinds of money that they don't owe.

In other words, what you're suggesting is basically impossible from a legal standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need some kind of Exit Visa to prevent skilled Brits leaving to work abroad.
    Only if they voted for Brexit ..

If you have graduated with a valuable degree then you should work or do post grad study in the U.K. for 5 years after graduation. That’s only fair.
    What about British students that have to pay overseas fees?

I mean we have received an excellent free education from 5 years old to 18 and can go to university.
    Some of us have more than paid for the services that we've received.

It’s wrong that we thrn give our skills to France or Germany who never even gave us our education in the first place. We could lose teachers, doctors engineers etc.
    You don't appear to realise that it's the UK that is a net importer of skilled professionals.

No. We're leaving the EU because a very slight majority voted for it, many on the basis of false claims. It will be bad for the country, but that's what you get when you ask people a question that most are sorely unqualified to even research.

ReputationRep:
    It won’t be necessary. With lower migration wages will increase across the board and tax rates can be lowered. The capital holding class may lose out a little as dividends decrease and property becomes more affordable due to lower demand, though the high skilled workers are more likely to be wage earners rather than capital holders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Some people here are big on communism, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    It won’t be necessary. With lower migration wages will increase across the board and tax rates can be lowered. The capital holding class may lose out a little as dividends decrease and property becomes more affordable due to lower demand, though the high skilled workers are more likely to be wage earners rather than capital holders.
    I suspect low skilled wages will rise - this is already happening. Not so convinced that tax rates either could or will be lowered. What makes you think this?

ReputationRep:
    If a person receives state education then they must contribute to the state for about 10 years before receiving an exit visa to leave the country.

What if I leave after having paid more in tax than all the services that I received cost - do I get a refund?

What about students that will never repay their 'loans'? What about those that stay, but use more in services than they contribute?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The scary thing is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the OP and other hard Brexiteers genuinely did want exit visas. The world has gone mad. :afraid:

It’s wrong that we thrn give our skills to France or Germany who never even gave us our education in the first place. We could lose teachers, doctors engineers etc.
    Are you kidding? London has literally hundreds of thousands of very well-educated French and German citizens living and working in its service and tech industries. The French brain drain is real: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/french-brain-drain-worse-imagined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Because it is

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.