Things to look out for when buying car Watch

ashiraf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im in the process of buying a car, used, and was wondering what kind of things should I look out for when going to view a car and what questions to ask thanks
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
wheels? :p:

check for rust, signs of repaired damage, leaks, oil in water and vice versa, makw sure you drive it
snmichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Make sure the car is started from cold. Tell the owner to have it cold when you come to look at. Feel the bonnet to check before you start it. It should start without too much fuss. If there is any knock or tapping after starting, it should go away rather quickly.

Take a torch with you to check for leaks under the bonnet. Also, look for tippex writing on parts like suspension which points towards scrap yard parts after an accident. Also take a magnet with you and carefully place it around common collision sites. If it doesn't stick, then it probably is full of body filler and has an accident. Check under the carpet in the bonnet that everything is straight. Check that body panels all have exactly the same colouring. If the car is slightly dull and faded, all the panels and wings should be nearly the same.

Bring a friend with you, even if they know nothing about cars. They can watch the exhaust after starting and whilst revving or driving for smoke. Also, they can check all the lights and signals are in order.

Check every single switch, knob and button inside. EVERYTHING!

If it is an automatic, start it, keep the handbrake up and your foot on the brakes. Then repeatedly select R and D back and forth and listen for any heavy clunking; it shouldn't. If it is a manual, it should shift smoothly into each gear, that's obvious. Also, when you test drive it, get it up to about 25-30 mph and stick it in 4th. Then floor it whilst keeping an eye on the rpms and speed. If the revs start climbing a lot faster than the car is accelerating, the clutch is probably gone.

Get the car into an open car park and turn the steering wheel as far as it will go and drive around in a circle. Try both directions. There shouldn't be any clunking or tapping; if there is, it is probably the CV joints.

The most important question is, "How much can you come down?"

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting that others will remember.
ashiraf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thanks, and damn thats alot to remember, this is the car am looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...id=p2759.l1259
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well you can forget half the stuff I told you. You already no it has accident damage!

Also check the oil filler cap, it should not have any white mayo looking gunk or water droplets. Same goes for the water reservoir, make sure there is no oil in there.

Check the wear on the tread of the front tyres; should be even all the way across. If it is worn on just the inside or just the outside it probably has geometry issues.

Since it is a salvage, make sure all the doors and bonnet closes properly. It looks like the boot probably won't.

I've never bought a salvaged car before but that doesn't look too bad. New rear bumper and the rear wings may need a little pounding and a spray. Not too bad.
Scotsman1988
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To check it's legit locate the VIN plate and look as if it's been tampered with (the manual should tell you where it's located as it varies from car to car).

Probably the single best piece of information I got from a weeks work experience with the police about 4 years ago!
sweetnfresh2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ashiraf)
Im in the process of buying a car, used, and was wondering what kind of things should I look out for when going to view a car and what questions to ask thanks

Can you get a "full diagnostic lab' report something from a mechanic first? It can't be that expensive to get the professional check-up with the used car before you actually buy it. You never know what's got the pre-owned vehicle.
Otherwise, you can check the mileage, engine, transmission, break, and even window wipers etc..
Well, I bought a brand new Jeep (2007, Liberty) last year. It had only 35 mileage on it when I picked it up. It's still under 9000 miles after a year. It's still under warranty for 3 years (or 36,000 miles), I don't need to worry about mainteinance costs for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads