The Student Room Group

Need help and advices about university in the Netherlands

Hello everyone, I (hopefully) will attend a degree course there and i was looking for some help regarding something.
I'll give you a little bit of context: I just turned 20 and im from Italy ,finished high school back in june 2016 and been working when i had the opportunity since last month when after some reserches and big thinkings I decided to go to the university.
My field of study is still undecided but i float between music business/music management or events and festivals organization (would love to do sound design but it seems that there isnt any degree course out there) and i found 4 courses that could be interesting and are:

International media and entertainement management at the NHTV in Breda

International music management at InHolland in Haarlem

Media and entertainment management still at InHolland

Creative business at HU in Utrecht

What i am asking are some advices about the university quality and reputation, with some advices also about the cities and housing (already been in Breda and Utrecht and fell in love with both) as well.
I know that may seems early (and probably it is) but knowing the housing situation there and the fact that i must do a IELTS/TOEFL exam, i have to organize everything perfect and i need your help.
Hey - sorry you haven't had any responses so far. I'm just going to pop this in the Studying in the Netherlands forum for you. Hopefully someone will see this there and be able to help :h:
Reputation is irrelevant, those are not research universities. Like UvA, Delft, or comparable in italy Bocconi. Even here domestically universities of applied sciences don’t differ that much in quality and reputation (exceptions exist). People choose applied universities based on programme or what’s nearest their home, most of the time compared to people who decide where to study for research universities.
Hi
Most of the courses you're interested in aren't universities. Some of my friends study in Breda. The type of institution there is called a Hogeschool. It's generally considered easier to do than a university like TU Delft or UvA and you get a different kind of degree. A degree from a hogeschool is of great value too, just a little less than one from a university. I suggest you do some research before choosing your type of school. I'm going to apply myself too sometime soon so if you have any questions you could always ask me.

Edit: I now know that a hogeschool is called applied sciences university here in the UK and what I see as a regular university is called research university.

In the Netherlands there are multiple levels of secondary education. The two highest levels are havo and vwo. About 50% of Dutch people go to havo. A great deal of them then goes to a hogeschool. Only 20% go go vwo which is more difficult than havo.
You're only allowed to a (research) university with a vwo certificate or with a hbo/hogeschool certificate.

As a result of that you'll find the best and most motivated students at a (research) university. But a hogeschool (applied science university) can be more relaxed because it's easier and you'll find a decent job with that too. And you could go to university after you've done hogeschool.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dutchstudent123
Most of the courses you're interested in aren't universities. Some of my friends study in Breda. The type of institution there is called a Hogeschool. It's generally considered easier to do than a university like TU Delft or UvA and you get a different kind of degree. A degree from a hogeschool is of great value too, just a little less than one from a university. I suggest you do some research before choosing your type of school. I'm going to apply myself too sometime soon so if you have any questions you could always ask me.

Edit: I now know that a hogeschool is called applied sciences university here in the UK and what I see as a regular university is called research university.

In the Netherlands there are multiple levels of secondary education. The two highest levels are havo and vwo. About 50% of Dutch people go to havo. A great deal of them then goes to a hogeschool. Only 20% go go vwo which is more difficult than havo.
You're only allowed to a (research) university with a vwo certificate or with a hbo/hogeschool certificate.

As a result of that you'll find the best and most motivated students at a (research) university. But a hogeschool (applied science university) can be more relaxed because it's easier and you'll find a decent job with that too. And you could go to university after you've done hogeschool.

First of all thank you so much, yeah, i know the difference between HBO and research university, and honestly i think that hogenschool are way better in terms of finding a job and learning it.
We have that kind of division more or less when choosing the high school here in Italy, where there are the technical schools, which i did, and the "liceo" that is more a school that prepares for university while the other teach you a job.
That said, my decision will be influenced mostly by the city livin in, housing and general costs, and if easy to find a part time job there.
Reply 6
Original post by Stevenzhao
Reputation is irrelevant, those are not research universities. Like UvA, Delft, or comparable in italy Bocconi. Even here domestically universities of applied sciences don’t differ that much in quality and reputation (exceptions exist). People choose applied universities based on programme or what’s nearest their home, most of the time compared to people who decide where to study for research universities.

Well as reputation I ment if there something like the Inholland where a dutch friend told me that there was a scandal and is not really well seen, thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest