Can I do French again uni with these are levels ?

Watch this thread
Savylavy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I study English literature, economics and maths. I have never learnt French before but it is truly my passion. Will I get in for it?
eggyeol
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Savylavy)
I study English literature, economics and maths. I have never learnt French before but it is truly my passion. Will I get in for it?
Do you want to do French on its own or combine it with another subject?
junior.doctor
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
How do you know it's your passion if you've never studied it?
It is sometimes possible to study a new language at university as a minor, if your main subject of study is something else, usually another modern foreign language. Have you studied any other modern foreign languages? You won't be able to do a 'straight' French degree if you've never studied it before, no.
If this is what you really want to do, why not try to take an evening class or something similar?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
You can study French ab initio (from beginners) at some universities, yes. Not many places offer it, I think Glasgow, Aberdeen, Liverpool, Royal Holloway and Aberystwyth do - there may be others also, you need to do some research.

However, without ever having studied it before, how can you know that you have a passion for it?
username3113730
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do you want to start it at scratch at university (ab initio)? Universities don’t usually offer French ab initio, although it is worth doing some research on that because it is possible at a few unis.
To do Post-A Level French which is way more common, you would need to have an A Level in French. If you’re in year 12 perhaps you can teach yourself the A level spec so you can study it at university level? If you have a passion to learn French then this is definitely doable.
ladia32
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, if you'd like to study French , there are still some unis that offer it at total beginners level, equivalent to an Enrichment option that you'd currently have at 6th form or college. My niece went to Coventry and they had options such as Arabic, Mandarin, Islamic Law and French, so it's worth looking into and you get 30 extra credits. Hope that helps
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Or you can just do French via extra classes at some Unis - example https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/foreig...bath-students/

Or you can do any other degree subject that offers a Year Abroad in France - even if it not called 'with Year Abroad' most Unis will still allow you to do this where possible - example https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/study-abroad-and-exchange
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise