Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving Christianity watch

ReputationRep:
    eq
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Go ahead, sure it'll be a hell of a lot easier than leaving islam or judaism.

ReputationRep:
    Listen,alot of crap advice will be given here from 14-20 year olds.I'd suggest discuss such matters with someone wiser and see both sides of the arguments.Then decide.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do it.

Best decision I ever made, ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidB25)
    eq
    Why? Do you feel that your inadequate?

ReputationRep:
    eq
    May I kindly ask you to watch these debates.

(1)Ahmed deedat vs Pastor Stanley Soberjg (Is the Bible God's word?) (https://youtu.be/OVJjmj6FPXM)

(2) Ahmed deedat vs Pastor Stanley Soberjg (Is Jesus God?) (https://youtu.be/UPRcySFenL4)

(3) Ahmed deedat vs Jimmy swaggert (Is the Bible God's word?) (https://youtu.be/IlA22NNFlDw)

(4) Ahmed deedat vs Anis shourrosh (Is Jesus God?) (https://youtu.be/kXIBBCcJfRc)

(5) Ahmed deedat vs Anis shourrosh (Qur'an or The Bible..which one is God's word?) (https://youtu.be/bdW6QhDDH28)

(6) Ahmed deedat vs Robert Douglas (Crucifixion or Curci-fiction?) (https://youtu.be/-yMXTiuyY64)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arizonaidiot)
    Listen,alot of crap advice will be given here from 14-20 year olds.I'd suggest discuss such matters with someone wiser and see both sides of the arguments.Then decide.
    I was gonna give you a rep for that. 👍🏾

ReputationRep:
    eq
    What exactly are you leaving?

Are you leaving because of these reasons:-

1. God loves you?

.....that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. (John 3 v 16)

2. God has good plans for you?

....For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29: 11 - 13)

3. That you have a promise of eternal life with God?

.... I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.” (John 10 v 38)

4. You don't like the idea of anyone having your back? Helping you in life?

.... Carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the Law of Christ (Galatians 6:2)

5. You don't like the fact that God values you?

....Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, you are of more value than many sparrows.... (Luke 12 v 7)

So again, what exactly is it that you are leaving?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by road9371)
    no religion is good
    true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some religions are evil, straight from the devil and hell itself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    What exactly are you leaving?

Are you leaving because of these reasons:-

1. God loves you?

.....that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. (John 3 v 16)

2. God has good plans for you?

....For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29: 11 - 13)

3. That you have a promise of eternal life with God?

.... I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.” (John 10 v 38)

4. You don't like the idea of anyone having your back? Helping you in life?

.... Carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the Law of Christ (Galatians 6:2)

5. You don't like the fact that God values you?

....Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, you are of more value than many sparrows.... (Luke 12 v 7)

So again, what exactly is it that you are leaving?
    This isn't meant to incite hatred or anything but rather to allow the Op to come to an educated decision and stop people like you from perhaps giving a biased interpretation. In the end what they do is up to them. Again I am giving verses from the Bible itself so my criticism is of a book not of any individual person.

Perhaps he is leaving because the bible states that:

1. “I have come to set the Earth on fire, and how I wish it were already kindled !...Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.” (Luke 12: 49-51)
    2. “ 34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law - 36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.” (Matthew 10: 34-36)

3. “Let the dead bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:22)
    4. “If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one (a sword).” (Luke 22:36)
    5. “But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me.” (Luke 19:27)
    6. “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

There are even worse verses in the Old Testament:
    Judges 21: 10- 24 :
    10 So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children. 11 "This is what you are to do," they said. "Kill every male and every woman who is not a virgin." 12 They found among the people living in Jabesh Gilead four hundred young women who had never slept with a man, and they took them to the camp at Shiloh in Canaan.
    13 Then the whole assembly sent an offer of peace to the Benjamites at the rock of Rimmon. 14 So the Benjamites returned at that time and were given the women of Jabesh Gilead who had been spared. But there were not enough for all of them.
    15 The people grieved for Benjamin, because the LORD had made a gap in the tribes of Israel. 16 And the elders of the assembly said, "With the women of Benjamin destroyed, how shall we provide wives for the men who are left? 17 The Benjamite survivors must have heirs," they said, "so that a tribe of Israel will not be wiped out. 18 We can't give them our daughters as wives, since we Israelites have taken this oath: 'Cursed be anyone who gives a wife to a Benjamite.' 19 But look, there is the annual festival of the LORD in Shiloh, to the north of Bethel, and east of the road that goes from Bethel to Shechem, and to the south of Lebonah."
    20 So they instructed the Benjamites, saying, "Go and hide in the vineyards 21 and watch. When the girls of Shiloh come out to join in the dancing, then rush from the vineyards and each of you seize a wife from the girls of Shiloh and go to the land of Benjamin. 22 When their fathers or brothers complain to us, we will say to them, 'Do us a kindness by helping them, because we did not get wives for them during the war, and you are innocent, since you did not give your daughters to them.' "
    23 So that is what the Benjamites did. While the girls were dancing, each man caught one and carried her off to be his wife. Then they returned to their inheritance and rebuilt the towns and settled in them.
    24 At that time, the Israelites left that place and went home to their tribes and clans, each to his own inheritance.

Numbers 31: 7-18 :
    7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho. [a]
    13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle. 15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people.17 Now, kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Sounds like good reason to me. Let's allow the OP decide, why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParkHyungSuk)
    This isn't meant to incite hatred or anything but perhaps he is leaving because

1. “I have come to set the Earth on fire, and how I wish it were already kindled !...Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.” (Luke 12: 49-51)
    2. “ 34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law - 36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.” (Matthew 10: 34-36)

4. “If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one (a sword).” (Luke 22:36)
    5. “But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me.” (Luke 19:27)
    6. “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

10 So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children. 11 "This is what you are to do," they said. "Kill every male and every woman who is not a virgin." 12 They found among the people living in Jabesh Gilead four hundred young women who had never slept with a man, and they took them to the camp at Shiloh in Canaan.
    13 Then the whole assembly sent an offer of peace to the Benjamites at the rock of Rimmon. 14 So the Benjamites returned at that time and were given the women of Jabesh Gilead who had been spared. But there were not enough for all of them.
    15 The people grieved for Benjamin, because the LORD had made a gap in the tribes of Israel. 16 And the elders of the assembly said, "With the women of Benjamin destroyed, how shall we provide wives for the men who are left? 17 The Benjamite survivors must have heirs," they said, "so that a tribe of Israel will not be wiped out. 18 We can't give them our daughters as wives, since we Israelites have taken this oath: 'Cursed be anyone who gives a wife to a Benjamite.' 19 But look, there is the annual festival of the LORD in Shiloh, to the north of Bethel, and east of the road that goes from Bethel to Shechem, and to the south of Lebonah."
    20 So they instructed the Benjamites, saying, "Go and hide in the vineyards 21 and watch. When the girls of Shiloh come out to join in the dancing, then rush from the vineyards and each of you seize a wife from the girls of Shiloh and go to the land of Benjamin. 22 When their fathers or brothers complain to us, we will say to them, 'Do us a kindness by helping them, because we did not get wives for them during the war, and you are innocent, since you did not give your daughters to them.' "
    23 So that is what the Benjamites did. While the girls were dancing, each man caught one and carried her off to be his wife. Then they returned to their inheritance and rebuilt the towns and settled in them.
    24 At that time, the Israelites left that place and went home to their tribes and clans, each to his own inheritance.

7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho. [a]
    13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle. 15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people.17 Now, kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

No one asked you to write an EPQ smh

ReputationRep:
    This isn't meant to incite hatred or anything but rather to allow the Op to come to an educated decision and stop people like you from perhaps giving a biased interpretation. In the end what they do is up to them

No hatred incited. Its good to discuss these things. I'll focus on one aspect because you listed quite a lot there.

This verse seems to go against another verse which says

Matthew 26:52 (ESV) 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

The explanation is, and if you read the whole bible you'd understand the emphasis on the sword, although we live in the flesh, God tells us not to wage war according to the flesh.

The weapons of Christian 'warfare' are not physical weapons like swords.

Jesus was against violence and when one of his disciples cut the ear off a priest...
    John 18:10 Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant and cut off his right ear.

Jesus rebuked him and healed the priest's ear....
    Luke 22:51 But Jesus said, “No more of this!” And he touched his ear and healed him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    No hatred incited. Its good to discuss these things. I'll focus on one aspect because you listed quite a lot there.

This verse seems to go against another verse which says

Matthew 26:52 (ESV) 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

The explanation is, and if you read the whole bible you'd understand the emphasis on the sword, although we live in the flesh, God tells us not to wage war according to the flesh.

The weapons of Christian 'warfare' are not physical weapons like swords.

Jesus was against violence and when one of his disciples cut the ear off a priest...
    John 18:10 Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant and cut off his right ear.

Jesus rebuked him and healed the priest's ear....
    Luke 22:51 But Jesus said, “No more of this!” And he touched his ear and healed him.
    I understand that you may take a more metaphorical interpretation in that regard but later on the verses I referenced talk about actual events and can no longer be regarded in that fashion. Also, I know that you can provide verses that show the contrary but every religion is able to do that because contradictions are prevalent within them. Again, this is not to attack any individuals as I know Christians, for the most part, do not follow the bible in this day and age and have adopted more humanistic values. For example homosexuality was legalised in 1967 in England, very much to do with their interpretation of christianity.

ReputationRep:
    eq
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arizonaidiot)
    What makes 14 to 20 year olds less wise? Is a 21 year old somehow wiser? How can you suggest that the OP should ‘see both sides of the argument’ when you openly slander a possibly valid argument from one side?

ReputationRep:
    This isn't meant to incite hatred or anything but rather to allow the Op to come to an educated decision and stop people like you from perhaps giving a biased interpretation. In the end what they do is up to them

Oh please, don't just pluck out random verses from the Bible without knowing or understanding any context. I bet you just typed on the internet 'top 10 worst Bible passages', don't act as though you're a Bible scholar when all you're doing is quoting parts of parables and NOT the moral lesson that's actually been taught. What frustrates me the most is that you believe your beliefs makes you more 'educated' as you state. I myself am someone who values education, loves science and yet I am Christian. Your atheism doesn't make you any more or less superior to me. You talk about giving a 'biased interpretation' which, from my perspective, is exactly what you just gave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deliciate)
    Oh please, don't just pluck out random verses from the Bible without knowing or understanding any context. I bet you just typed on the internet 'top 10 worst Bible passages', don't act as though you're a Bible scholar when all you're doing is quoting parts of parables and NOT the moral lesson that's actually been taught. What frustrates me the most is that you believe your beliefs makes you more 'educated' as you state. I myself am someone who values education, loves science and yet I am Christian. Your atheism doesn't make you any more or less superior to me. You talk about giving a 'biased interpretation' which, from my perspective, is exactly what you just gave.
    I'm sorry but I don't know of a context that justifies 'Now, kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.' I didn't attack you I merely gave evidence from the bible that supported leaving - just like the OP stated. It is frequent among TSR for people to attack Islam in much the same manner. I value education and science as well and I am agnostic leaning towards atheism. I only gave harsh verses because the person I quoted gave the pleasant ones. In that case it complements the other evidence and allows the OP to come to a decision. It is unfair for the other person to try and manipulate the OP into going back when they do not give the full story - I don't see you berating them. Again I feel I have to reiterate this - I am not attacking any individuals, neither you or anyone else.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Also yes I did look it up on the internet, because frankly if I know it is in the bible that is enough for me, I have not memorised the entire thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ksmith)
    What makes 14 to 20 year olds less wise? Is a 21 year old somehow wiser? How can you suggest that the OP should ‘see both sides of the argument’ when you openly slander a possibly valid argument from one side?
    The most annoying thing is that even after several times reiterating, that quoting the bible is not an attack on an individual, but rather a criticism of the bible - I still get people triggered about it.

ReputationRep:
    The most annoying thing is that even after several times reiterating, that quoting the bible is not an attack on an individual, but rather a criticism of the bible - I still get people triggered about it.
    Was this meant in response to me?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.