Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So a while back I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after what I believe to be nothing more than an anger outburst at home. I was sectioned for a year and eventually given the diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia.
Now I’m out and off my meds. When I’ve been off my meds for 6 months to a year without a “relapse” or any symptoms, I’m thinking of getting a lawyer.
Any advice? What do you think my chances are?
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pretty low tbh.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So a while back I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after what I believe to be nothing more than an anger outburst at home. I was sectioned for a year and eventually given the diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia.
Now I’m out and off my meds. When I’ve been off my meds for 6 months to a year without a “relapse” or any symptoms, I’m thinking of getting a lawyer.
Suing for what? I suspect there's far more to this story. You won't just get sectioned for a year and diagnosed with schizophrenia.
username3684524
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A diagnosis of schizophrenia isn’t handed out lightly, it takes a lot of evaluation (and ruling out of other conditions first).

But also, how could an ‘anger outburst at home’ lead to being sectioned for an entire year?

I’m glad to hear that you’re well without medication, but the chances of successfully suing are very low.
Anonymous #1
I have no idea how. Probably cos of things I said in the heat of the moment and I have a hard story seeing a psychologist where at some point they referred me to the same psychiatrist I would end up with in hospital and out of nowhere pulled out “thought disorder”. At the time I just trusted the guy like an idiot and accepted the meds he gave me for a few months.
Anonymous #1
*hard story = history
Damn autocorrect, I suspect.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't count on it. You will lose your case. Once you get sectioned, even once, it's very difficult to get any authority to believe you.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, there is nothing to sue for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads