carrie-lou
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hey, im headin over til ljmu in sept to study marketing an i was wondering wud any body know which would be the best acommodation for me as im having difficulty choosing!!
i wnt a location which has access to the centre, as im from n.ireland an da centres da oly place i really know lol

any help wud be lovely!
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Grand Central is in the centre, right next to Lime Street.
molemansjoel
Report 11 years ago
well yeah im looking at great newton hall myself, bout 10 - 15 mins from town centre, so not too close to drunkards lol yet close enough to stumble back if your drunk lol, its also about 5 mins from the train station, and it looks really nice, not to mention the free internet
carrie-lou
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
yeh i was lukin at dat 1 myself, seemed dead on lik!
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Hi,

Can anyone live here or is it only available for LJMU students? I've got a place at LIPA and Great Newton Hall looks ideal. Not too expensive, not too far, en-suite, etc

Also, does anyone know what the internet is like in the rooms? Do you have to pay extra for it and how fast is it?

Thanks

Rich
molemansjoel
Report 11 years ago
hey rich, well im not sure about who can live in great newton hall? but as its privatly owned and isnt strictly owned by LJMU i dont see why other students couldnt live in it!! plus the internet is all inclusive in the price of the room, as is all the energy you use, but im not too sure quite how fast it is..
hope that answers a couple of your questions
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by richpom)
Hi,

Can anyone live here or is it only available for LJMU students? I've got a place at LIPA and Great Newton Hall looks ideal. Not too expensive, not too far, en-suite, etc

Also, does anyone know what the internet is like in the rooms? Do you have to pay extra for it and how fast is it?

Thanks

Rich
I live in Liberty Park and the internet is free, it's reasonably fast but you can upgrade to even faster connections but that will cost you money. It also has en-suite e.t.c. but the downside is that it's about a good 20 minute walk from the city centre. That doesn't bother me but it might bother some people.
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for everyone's replies

@ Joel
Sounds good that the Internets included. I've emailed them to find out if I can go as a LIPA student or not, but I agree that I should be able to go as its privately owned by "Opal Students". Do you live there then?

@ Britishseapower
I liked the look of Liberty Park cus it's so cheap and you get loads for your money! However, it is a bit far away from LIPA and the city and I also heard that the area is not too nice. Have you had any problems living there?
molemansjoel
Report 11 years ago
well no i cant say i live there yet, but i am very intent on living there in september lol, and ive done a hell of alot of research on these things lol that why i know quite a bit on the matter , i really wanna make the uni thing the time of my life kinda thing
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Ah well I might see you there in Sept then Joel Unless you can recommend anywhere else thats caught your eye?

Birley Court looks good value too although no one seems to talk about it on here. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks for all your advice
molemansjoel
Report 11 years ago
well yeah i did look at birley court i dont know it as well as its more for the performance students, i think its nearer a performing arts area? but from what ive heard from a friend in liverpool its in more of a shady area of town, this is why i think the price has been reduced? could also be though because its kinda away from the city center, would be quite a trek to the center and the train station etc, but ive not seen anywhere else i personally would go, i think ive really got my mind set on great newtons hall too much lol, it just looks really ideal, nice place to live and so on
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Well its a couple of mins away from LIPA which is about 15mins (so I've been told?) from the city centre. Dunno about the area but perhaps you're mate is right. All I've heard is that the area around Liberty Park is quite rough and has been called a red light district so I think I'll stay away from there! lol.

Mind you, it's all different opinions and speculation so I guess both of us won't know for sure until we're there!
Debs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They call the area around Liberty Park rough but I've never had any problems in the two years I've lived here, and me and a friend have a bad habit of just going for a walk at random hours of the night and nothing has ever happened to us. There are prostitutes on the road just opposite the Liverpool vet school and all that but just ignore them and you're fine. Nice accommodation though, very cheap compared to most too
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
@ Britishseapower
I liked the look of Liberty Park cus it's so cheap and you get loads for your money! However, it is a bit far away from LIPA and the city and I also heard that the area is not too nice. Have you had any problems living there?
I was more or less going to say what Debs said. The security at Liberty Park is excellent so you shouldn't be worried about your flat getting broken into or anything. If you have a car, I would advise paying the fee to have it parked within the grounds as I've seen a few cars parked outside that have been vandalised, windows smashed e.t.c. They have also put double yellow lines outside now as well, perhaps its a situational crime prevention measure, who knows.

The area is rough around it, you will routinely see prostitutes and alcoholics amongst other undesirables but as Debs said, I've never had any problems in the 3 years that I have lived here. That said though, you should always be vigilant, it only takes that one time for something to happen and whilst your life might have been pretty uneventful so far, it only takes one time as I say. I have been attacked twice in a decent area, once in daylight as well so you really can't judge a book by its cover so to speak.
Debs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oops sorry, guess I stole your thunder a little. Good tip for halls in general though, get to know the security guards. They'll tell you some great stories, well they do here
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Debs)
Oops sorry, guess I stole your thunder a little. Good tip for halls in general though, get to know the security guards. They'll tell you some great stories, well they do here
it's alright, you don't need to apologise for being quicker than me, I was about 4 days late!
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Sorry to hear about that Britishseapower, but thank you and Debs for your sensible and helpful advice. I've taken it all on board but have decided that Liberty Park is not one of my first choices because it is quite far (walking) from Lipa and the city centre. I've thought about it and would rather pay a bit more as I'm dreading walking home in the rain from the city past closer sites such as Great Newton Hall and thinking "why didn't I just pay that extra bit!" lol
Debs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah know the feeling about walking up that hill in the rain, especially walking past other halls and seeing people warm and dry inside. I've heard Great Newton Hall is nice too and it is one of the closer halls to the city centre so I'm sure you'll be happy there or wherever you end up
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry to hear about that Britishseapower, but thank you and Debs for your sensible and helpful advice. I've taken it all on board but have decided that Liberty Park is not one of my first choices because it is quite far (walking) from Lipa and the city centre. I've thought about it and would rather pay a bit more as I'm dreading walking home in the rain from the city past closer sites such as Great Newton Hall and thinking "why didn't I just pay that extra bit!" lol
well its great exercise, especially when you have been shopping! fair enough though, it can be a bit annoying at times walking all that way. Alternatively you could just get drunk, I don't think I've ever recalled my walks home whilst inebriated.
richpom
Report 11 years ago
Alternatively you could just get drunk, I don't think I've ever recalled my walks home whilst inebriated.
Haha! Sound like a good plan to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Liverpool John Moores University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 7 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise