The Student Room Group

Taking somebody else prescription anti depressants

I feel sad all of the time, just so sad to the point I want my life to end sometimes. I have horrible mood swings - same as my mum. My mum gets given anti depressants, I found a packet of them and I want to take them to see if they make me feel any better, like they make my mum feel better.

Is this a stupid idea? I sometimes take her sleeping pills and they are fine for me.
Reply 1
Yes it's extremely stupid, many factors affect the dosage needed, what antidepressant etc,.

Antidepressants aren't magic pills. You do realise they take 3-4 weeks to even begin to have an effect, and the first week or so you will suffer side effects.

See your GP if you're depressed.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I feel sad all of the time, just so sad to the point I want my life to end sometimes. I have horrible mood swings - same as my mum. My mum gets given anti depressants, I found a packet of them and I want to take them to see if they make me feel any better, like they make my mum feel better.

Is this a stupid idea? I sometimes take her sleeping pills and they are fine for me.

Antidepressants take a long time to kick in and not all of them work for everybody. People will also often start at a low does to give their body time to get used to the effects. Going straight onto the long term dose of some unknown medication could leave you violently throwing up for a good while along with other nasty effects. Not to mention your mum clearly needs them so it would be mean to take them from her.

If you are struggling go see your GP and sort out your own care. That could include being prescribed your own antidepressants. It will be a lot better for you than taking some random stuff and hoping it works.
This isn't the sort of thing you should be suffering with alone and you don't have to. You don't need to try to sneak some random pills that might help you- you can see your doctor and work with them to find something that does help you.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

That's a very dangerous idea. I've been on antidepressants for a while now and some of them can have nasty side effects. You need proper medical supervision for them to work. Starting and stopping suddenly is really unpleasant. You go through physical withdrawal symptoms and it's not nice.

If you don't know what you are doing, you could take a very high dose of something that is completely unsuitable for you.

Don't take her tablets.

Quick Reply

Latest