Is the Driving Theory Test a Scam?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
AlexPunt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
From my experience, I have found that the Theory Test, at its best, is about as useful in driving as wearing lead boots while swimming at your local baths!
I began my journey driving in 2015, just after my 17th birthday. I took my first theory test before I had any lessons, thinking it would be a breeze. I failed, which was no major surprise, as I hadn't really done much in terms of revision.
I then began my lessons, which were essential in learning to drive.
I then attempted the Theory Test again.
I failed.
No worries, I thought; but instinctively I knew that this test was a con.
In all I took the Car Theory Test FOUR times.
And as I spoke to people in the waiting area of the test centre, they were invariably on their 5th or 6th, or even 7th attempt.

My sister is now doing this test and has already failed THREE times.
Bear in mind that it cost about £27 per test. If you do the maths, it certainly adds up.

I think it would be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks, and what your experiences have been or are.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlexPunt)
From my experience, I have found that the Theory Test, at its best, is about as useful in driving as wearing lead boots while swimming at your local baths!
I began my journey driving in 2015, just after my 17th birthday. I took my first theory test before I had any lessons, thinking it would be a breeze. I failed, which was no major surprise, as I hadn't really done much in terms of revision.
I failed.
And as I spoke to people in the waiting area of the test centre, they were invariably on their 5th or 6th, or even 7th attempt.

Bear in mind that it cost about £27 per test. If you do the maths, it certainly adds up.

I think it would be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks, and what your experiences have been or are.
You wouldn't have needed to do as many attempts if you actually revised for the test. I know plenty people who managed to pass on their first attempt.
cajj112
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Almost everyone I know passed their theory first time and if not then they passed second time, it's quite straightforward
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for me it's just repetition on the app until i recognise most of the answers. i learn a few signs i'd never guessed before but yes a lot of the questions are common sense or gearing you towards being the ''better person'' in a situation. plus the hazard isn't something i'd say is the closest to real life driving. so overall i think it is a bit pointless and just a way to get your money.
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I passed my theory first time because I used my frees in my AS year of college to do practise mock tests online when I had no other work to be doing. I passed in November and getting my first car soon.

In hindsight, it probably is not the best way to test a persons knowledge of the highway code. Sure, the questions are great to test if you understand road markings, but some of the things they ask are in reality not going to be things you as a first time driver will need to know. Not everyone will drive a caravan in their life, and when I kept messing up questions in my mocks on caravans I honestly questioned when in the near future would I be driving a caravan. If I Did, I would check online for the rules regarding them beforehand anyway. The questions too being out of context make them harder anyway. If I saw a sign on a road I would be able to take an educated guess as to what it means by what I see around me. In reality, you always get that context.

Hazard perception too is not realistic. You know ones coming up, therefore you are watching and waiting to click. In reality you do not know what lies around the corner, and I do not think you will be staring at the road as you intently did with the computer.

I understand what it is trying to test, but I think it needs a revamp. I learnt more from real driving than I did learning the highway code off by heart.
username613045
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With the hazard perception part of the test, I found you had to click too early to get all five points for the question. This meant that I wasn't looking at the road 'in front of me', instead in reflections of windows, down side streets etc. I think that definitely needs changing
T_B_N.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you spend about £15 and buy the hazard perception cd and the theory app it really isn't that bad and put in some graft and prepare properly. You can always postpone it once you've booked it if you don't think you're ready.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The good old "I'm incompetent and it's everyone's fault but mine"...

No, it isn't a scam, you just didn't put any effort in to learning anything, or you lack so much common sense that you struggled with questions that have very obvious answers...

I'll see you in a year or two when you come back to complain about how the practical test is supposedly rigged, and how the examiners all have these magical quotas that you'll conveniently forget about when you pass.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by horsewithnoname)
With the hazard perception part of the test, I found you had to click too early to get all five points for the question. This meant that I wasn't looking at the road 'in front of me', instead in reflections of windows, down side streets etc. I think that definitely needs changing
That is why you click once, and then half a second later you click it again to make sure that you didn't click to early.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I failed.

It's not a scam. People who fail just weren't prepared enough.

Most of the test is common sense and you've paid attention whilst sitting in as a passenger in a bus/car, you'll only really need to learn the stopping distances/colours of motorway studs etc.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think I'm one of the few that really appreciated the theory test lol.
username3675786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn’t revise and turned up with a hangover to the testing center. I got 43/50 which was the bare minimum. I’m not proud of it, but it worries me that people can actually pass without any real knowledge of the road, me included.
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
That is why you click once, and then half a second later you click it again to make sure that you didn't click to early.
problem with that is that you get flagged for cheating, which is annoying

i passed my theory and practical test first time and my instructor said my ability to spot hazards was second to none, but i almost failed the hazard perception because of the anti-cheat system. theory test is a load of bulllll
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dsmith23)
problem with that is that you get flagged for cheating, which is annoying

i passed my theory and practical test first time and my instructor said my ability to spot hazards was second to none, but i almost failed the hazard perception because of the anti-cheat system. theory test is a load of bulllll
No you don't. You get flagged for cheating if you're spamming clicks, as you should.
AlexPunt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
You wouldn't have needed to do as many attempts if you actually revised for the test. I know plenty people who managed to pass on their first attempt.
I practised plenty, but I still failed. It is not a personal fault, more of a situational fault.
The test, although to you straight forward, is different every time.
Now don't tell me that driving is a paper based activity. It is not, it is 100% practical. And with that it is unfair to those of us that are, say, dyslexic or have other reading/writing issues.
This is why i think it is a scam on all accounts.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I practised plenty, but I still failed. It is not a personal fault, more of a situational fault.
The test, although to you straight forward, is different every time.
Now don't tell me that driving is a paper based activity. It is not, it is 100% practical. And with that it is unfair to those of us that are, say, dyslexic or have other reading/writing issues.
This is why i think it is a scam on all accounts.
Driving a car is also different every time, that's just life.

Dyslexia is hardly a major concern for answering theory questions. The amount of time given for you to complete the multiple choice section is very generous and they even have an option of a voiceover reading out the questions for you.
EuroTash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know anybody who failed their theory test. I passed it on my first attempt, without having any official lessons because I revised properly. I bought the official DVSA theory and hazard perception DVD. 95% of the questions asked In the test were identical to what I studied on the DVD. You should be able to pick one up at any high-street book shop, possibly stationery store or online (Amazon most-likely). You have failed on so many attempts because you are simply unprepared. Don't rush it, otherwise none of what you study will stick.
pcWizz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know a of people here are still learning to drive and are at different stages. Some are study for their theory and others are doing their practical so I thought I would post a video that I found useful.

How to drive in windy weather conditions

chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I failed.

Okay, but if you failed that many times then clearly there was a decent amount you didn't know but needed to know before being let loose on the roads as a qualified driver
KirstenFA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I passed my theory second time in the summer, after failing the hazard perception by 3 points my first time. There's an app that costs around £5 that contains all the questions and 15 hazard videos.
I don't think it is a scam, you just have to practice and make sure you two each hazard in the videos more than once to make sure it registers.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads