The Student Room Group

Hogwarts Express-My journey to AAA*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
10/01/18
Days till English mock: 4
Days till Psychology mock: 5
Days till Biology mock: 7

I think I've finally calmed down about my mocks. I still want to do my best but now I don't feel like I'm gonna throw up every second cause of nerves.

Also I'm sooo sorry my blogs been so boring recently not much has been happening really. I guess I'll try and change something but in all honesty not a lot was gonna happen this week. First week back at school, full revision, mocks coming up... Swear I got no clue how everyone else is keeping this up and having a life. :lol:

So anyways today:

Biology:

Today wasn't really going over anything that'll be on our mocks. We were just learning new content: genetic mutation. Honestly wasn't even too difficult so I was really happy about that! :biggrin:

However I would much rather have had a lesson or two to go over exam content :s-smilie: I understand that we probably can't cause there's so much content to get through but it would've been nice. I'm really struggling with translation and transcription. Also eww meiosis :shot: There's 8 stages we have to learn!! It would've been easier if the exam board had been a bit nicer as well but some of the questions they show in the exam papers!!

IMG_0073[1].jpg

Now just asking you all, What do you think this actually is? You'd think it'd be prophase right? The chromosomes have became visible but haven't aligned themselves onto the equator yet. Logical answer? Nah not for AQA it ain't XD Apparently it's metaphase. The next question asks why you know it's this stage their reason: The chromosomes are clearly aligned on the centre :eyebrow: Okie dokie then.

And don't even get me started on the 3-D microscopy questions! XD

English:

Hell of a lot better than bio! We went through exam questions that'll come up in the mocks and I feel so much more confident for the recasting section :h:.
Not only that but we got some exam practise questions that we can try for revision so guess I'll be busy this weekend.

The rest of the day was just revision. Started creating more psychology mind maps (those really helped) then it was just rereading notes, past papers and testing myself with my revision cards.

Not an exciting day but hopefully it'll get better!
Original post by Bamble
10/01/18
Days till English mock: 4
Days till Psychology mock: 5
Days till Biology mock: 7

I think I've finally calmed down about my mocks. I still want to do my best but now I don't feel like I'm gonna throw up every second cause of nerves.

Also I'm sooo sorry my blogs been so boring recently not much has been happening really. I guess I'll try and change something but in all honesty not a lot was gonna happen this week. First week back at school, full revision, mocks coming up... Swear I got no clue how everyone else is keeping this up and having a life. :lol:

So anyways today:

Biology:

Today wasn't really going over anything that'll be on our mocks. We were just learning new content: genetic mutation. Honestly wasn't even too difficult so I was really happy about that! :biggrin:

However I would much rather have had a lesson or two to go over exam content :s-smilie: I understand that we probably can't cause there's so much content to get through but it would've been nice. I'm really struggling with translation and transcription. Also eww meiosis :shot: There's 8 stages we have to learn!! It would've been easier if the exam board had been a bit nicer as well but some of the questions they show in the exam papers!!

IMG_0073[1].jpg

Now just asking you all, What do you think this actually is? You'd think it'd be prophase right? The chromosomes have became visible but haven't aligned themselves onto the equator yet. Logical answer? Nah not for AQA it ain't XD Apparently it's metaphase. The next question asks why you know it's this stage their reason: The chromosomes are clearly aligned on the centre :eyebrow: Okie dokie then.

And don't even get me started on the 3-D microscopy questions! XD

English:

Hell of a lot better than bio! We went through exam questions that'll come up in the mocks and I feel so much more confident for the recasting section :h:.
Not only that but we got some exam practise questions that we can try for revision so guess I'll be busy this weekend.

The rest of the day was just revision. Started creating more psychology mind maps (those really helped) then it was just rereading notes, past papers and testing myself with my revision cards.

Not an exciting day but hopefully it'll get better!

at least you're doing AQA bio... apparently, my friend who does Edexcel bio says that their textbook is absolute :poo: and is flipping obsessed with cystic fibrosis..

btw, have you thought about making a tag list?? I sometimes miss your posts :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by nyxnko_
at least you're doing AQA bio... apparently, my friend who does Edexcel bio says that their textbook is absolute :poo: and is flipping obsessed with cystic fibrosis..

btw, have you thought about making a tag list?? I sometimes miss your posts :frown:

Awh sorry never thought of making a tag list will do so from today! :smile:

Also yeah I heard Edexcel was meant to be really hard thank god we don't have to look at cystic fibrosis or any other lung related conditions anymore (phew)
Original post by Bamble
Awh sorry never thought of making a tag list will do so from today! :smile:

Also yeah I heard Edexcel was meant to be really hard thank god we don't have to look at cystic fibrosis or any other lung related conditions anymore (phew)

plz add me!! :smile:
Original post by Bamble
Sorry again but guess who's back!!:biggrin:

Just wanted to say look what I found on my phone that I totally forgot about!!

IMG_0005.PNG

Guess I'll be starting that again just to prove I'm actually doing my revision (Will start uploading properly tomorrow now though I've seen some people who've done something stupid like 18 hours in one day and I'm too intimidated now with only 7 hours left of the day :s-smilie:).

As well as this I think I'm gonna upload like a vid just to prove I've actually done the apply it questions and notes cause damn I better get some recognition for writing out all of that XD (ngl I bet someone thinks its nothing and that I've totally wasted a day). If not I'll upload tomorrow.

See ya for now I guess

P.S. Just wanted to be clear I have not only done 20 min today I only just started using the app again and have only used the app for 20 min

I just started reading your blog but I really like it. What is that app called? Also I would not worry if you don't get 18 hours of revision in one day, that doesn't sound very realistic or effective. I am sure you can reach your goal of A*AA without that much revision.
Reply 85
Original post by nyxnko_
plz add me!! :smile:

Definitely will do :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by kathasora
I just started reading your blog but I really like it. What is that app called? Also I would not worry if you don't get 18 hours of revision in one day, that doesn't sound very realistic or effective. I am sure you can reach your goal of A*AA without that much revision.

Awh thanks :h:

The app is called forest btw and also gosh no I'm not doing 18 hours a day :eek3::laugh: If I did I think it'd kill me! Nah I'm just doing 18 hours a week (for school weeks) XD
Reply 87
12/01/18
Days till English mock: 3
Days till Psychology mock: 4
Days till Biology mock: 6

So no school today. YAY! :jive:

As for revision all I really did was:

Re-read notes

Created even more mind maps

did timed essays

Did flash cards

In all honesty though I feel like I could've done more :dontknow: I have family coming round tomorrow (who don't live in my city) just to meet up and have a Chinese or whatever so I know I'm probably gonna not gonna do much work XD Oh well I guess I said I wanted to have a break each Saturday. Cause my mocks are this Monday though I'll definitely wake up early tomorrow just to go over a bit more of psychology.

Also I think I've been doing mind maps slightly wrong :s-smilie: :lol:

Before I just clumped huge chunks of text all in one area but I've changed that now! :tongue: I've decided to go for more of a flow chart thing I dunno just mentioning it cause I know for me I can already tell it's definitely going in my head better now that I can mentally go through each stage.

One of my Mind maps from today:

Attachment not found

After that the only thing that I really did was watch a bit of Peaky blinders (OMG it's so amazing! Would totally recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's this programme on bbc with actors like Cillian Murphy, Helen McCrory and Tom Hardy all about a Brimingham gang set in the 1920s straight after the end of WW1)

also again really sorry that nothing really is happening recently :frown: So just to mix things up a bit I thought I'd just make a masterpost for revising Biology (cause I don't know about anyone else but I don't understand it :tongue:).

Biology Masterpost

You could so totally apply most of these to other subjects (especially the "how to revise section":wink: as well but most of the resources are more specific to bio.

How to revise:

Firstly print off the specification and create questions for each thing you need to learn. Use these whatever way you want you could use these questions for flashcards on quizlet, just answer them all on a separate piece of paper or even just write them in the margins of your notes (when writing that specific topic) just so you can quickly check with yourself.

Also annotate the spec like crazy. Cross out the topics you've covered, circle the ones you've made notes on or just draw a red box besides the ones you're not so confident on.

If you struggle condensing your notes, before writing them just quickly read a paragraph of text then write out what you remember in your own words (probably better to do this on a computer tbh cause it'll stop you wasting so much paper). Reread the paragraph then try to write down what you remember again but this time about the things you forgot the first time (highlight these though)

Revise as early as you can!!!- there's so much content do not tell yourself exams aren't even that far away and you have loads of time because omg there's so much to remember you need as much time as you possibly can. or whatever helps you when writing out notes

Go to as many after school sessions as you can- honestly it's always so much better to go over it with a teacher, usually they go over common misconceptions.

If you don't understand something make sure you learn it before you just write it down- watch videos, check your revision guide, ask your teacher! If you're a bit shy or feel uncomfortable to do this just send an email I doubt they'd gonna respond negatively to you if you just want to learn.

Just read over your notes every week or so just to make sure you don't forget anything

Past papers are SOOO important. You can genuinely know everything you possibly can about bio but the questions are honestly so awkward that you need to get used to how they're worded. Make sure to do them properly though (don't just keep the mark scheme out in front of you unless you genuinely don't know a single answer). Then after don't just store them away and never look at them again make sure you keep a note of how many marks you got for each section (so you can tell where your weak areas are) and then write up the questions you got wrong on flash cards.

If rereading notes isn't for you- start creating things. Mindmaps, revision cards, notes and if you're an auditory learner try watching videos or recording yourself saying your notes so that you can listen to it when you're out

If you struggle with the small one to three markers then why don't you try the apply it questions from the book just take a day or whatever just to go through all the questions in a section. It'll help you better to consolidate what you've learnt

If you've done all this and you still struggle to memorise it all just keep writing down sections on a white board (ask you're school I'm sure they'll let you) or on some scrap paper.

But above all else just try to enjoy it. It's so difficult when you don't and you might as well you'll be doing it for a while anyway.

Motivation

Honestly I swear everyone at this point should know my actual love of... forest XD. Basically if you don't know it (which I'm sure you all do at this point with how much I go on about it :lol:) it's just this app which records the amount of time you're productive for- the more you do the more trees you earn to make your forest look pretty. If you leave the app though the tree dies. I love it :rofl:

If you don't want that (cause it does cost money so I can understand if you wouldn't want to) just try the pomodoro technique (25 min of revision and a 5 minute break). Just use your phone as an alarm and put your phone on airplane mode so you don't get any notifications.

If you're dying with how much you need to do and don't even know where to start make a list then prioritise. You can just write it out or if you want you can always use an app. For me "minimalist" always works. You can cross off the tasks you've completed on that, set reminders and keep score of how many tasks you've actually completed

If you spend a lot of time on your laptop when revising try "momentum". It's a chrome extension that sets your home screen as a to do list to remind you what you need to do (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/momentum/laookkfknpbbblfpciffpaejjkokdgca?hl=en).

Make sure to get a planner to organise everything. If you don't want to buy anything just use https://www.mystudylife.com/

Try to keep a streak of days for revision. For each day you revise (or even create a set amount of time you want to revise- e.g. 2 hours) draw an X for that day on your calendar. Or create a bullet journal. Draw out a table and include everything productive you want to do for that day on one side, the date on the other and draw and x (the only difference from the calendar is that you're able to have more than one task written on there)

Make sure your revision areas tidy. Just stay on top of things, with bio you're gonna get so many sheets of paper that you're probably gonna need to shove everything in your folder as soon as you get it (try sorting it by the sections labelled in your revision guide- you can just do it easily by looking through the contents page)

And speaking of revision areas although sometimes it's better to have one place as your revision place (as it puts you in a revision set of mind) you'll sometimes find it's better to just mix things up a bit just so it doesn't get boring. Try your school, your library, go downstairs maybe your table, your desk, your bed, anywhere.

Also if you consider yourself to be a pretty bad procrastinator revise in short bursts so you don't get so distracted

As well as this, if you're the type to go downstairs when revising cause "Oh I'm thirsty now need to get a drink" or "I'm a bit hungry gotta stop revising" make sure you bring water, possibly snacks and anything else you'd leave for, with you. But make sure you're thinking of your health first eat before you revise as well.

Try working with a friend. Honestly sometimes I feel like I work better with others cause I feel like I'm responsible for their learning. I'm less likely to mess around and it's always good to have someone test you and even better if they understand something you don't Sometimes people your age are more likely to explain something better than a teacher

Treat yourself after revising :h: Have some chocolate or whatever you totally deserve it for sticking with it XD

Resources:

For making and using pre-made flashcards:

Quizlet

gojimo

cheggs flashcards

anki

Bio notes:

revisely

bioninja

kahn academy

Revision world

Get revising

Also did you know spark notes did bio revision? I've only ever seen them as an english website but here you go http://www.sparknotes.com/biology/

And that's it from me! Will edit if I think of anything else and I'll try to do an English one next That's all

(edited 6 years ago)
:eek4: That post is amazing!!!!

I love Peaky Blinders too.:love:

The point of mind-maps is about making connections. That's it. As long as you're drawing connections between different concepts and ideas and things then you're doing it just fine.:yep: If you're doing it to get information down, there's better ways of doing it than trying to conform to a mind-map.:smile:
this post is amazing!! I love how you've mentioned everything that u do and how others can apply it!! I'll definitely try to do some of the techniques on this post :biggrin:
Original post by Bamble
Awh thanks :h:

The app is called forest btw and also gosh no I'm not doing 18 hours a day :eek3::laugh: If I did I think it'd kill me! Nah I'm just doing 18 hours a week (for school weeks) XD

Oh 18 hours a week sounds a lot more realistic and healthy.
Reply 91
Original post by 04MR17
:eek4: That post is amazing!!!!

I love Peaky Blinders too.:love:

The point of mind-maps is about making connections. That's it. As long as you're drawing connections between different concepts and ideas and things then you're doing it just fine.:yep: If you're doing it to get information down, there's better ways of doing it than trying to conform to a mind-map.:smile:

Awh thank you :h:

And I know it's amazing isn't it! I'm on season 4 now but it's so hard to not watch it all in one go cause I have no time with mocks coming up XD. I love Tommy, Arthur and Alfie so much!! :shock: Can't wait to see where it goes.

Also thanks for the advice. I'll definitely continue doing that from now on
Reply 92
Original post by nyxnko_
this post is amazing!! I love how you've mentioned everything that u do and how others can apply it!! I'll definitely try to do some of the techniques on this post :biggrin:

Reply 93
13/01/18
Days till English mock: 2
Days till Psychology mock: 3
Days till Biology mock: 5

Now before I begin I wanna make it really clear that I am so sorry for sounding like a broken record cause I feel like I've said this so many times now but guess who's stressed again :sexface: that's right! C'est moi!

I 100% know that I said earlier that I was fine and the panic was over BUT NOT ANYMORE! :eek3: :eek4:

Right so I'll explain why I felt this way. For starters the morning was alright, I did quite a bit of revision (mainly just going over some psychology notes and making more mind maps) and yeah it helped a lot. I felt so much more confident for this exam this week. In all honesty I still am that's not actually why I'm nervous but I'll move on. So yeah I continued to revise I think I started at around 11 and stopped at around 2. That's when my family came over. Now this is where the stress actually comes in...

So yeah it was really nice, we had Chinese and talked or whatever but then the topic shifts onto me! (nothing wrong with that I do love a bit of attention :love: joking) However the topic we talk about isn't just the usual how am I or whatever we start to talk about how old I've become now and how it's not long left till I'm at uni or whatever. And I don't know why but this really freaked me out. I think it was because they kept telling me I needed to look at uni entry requirements to know what I needed to get and then I started to doubt myself.

I have no idea why this began either but as soon as they mentioned it I couldn't get my head off of it. It was like I couldn't enjoy myself cause I couldn't stop thinking that I shouldn't be here enjoying myself, eating and chatting but instead I should be revising. Which is sooo unbelievably stupid cause of course I can't revise 24/7 and I need a break but I dunno it got in my head.

Yeah I don't know if I mentioned it before but I'm a complete worrier XD. So yeah I decided to make a list for tomorrow:

make English essay plans

Continue annotating English anthology

Finish making Psychology mind maps

Watch some biology revisely videos

Do more psychology past papers

Do some quizlet flashcards

And that's it so be fair! So see ya later
Original post by Bamble
13/01/18
Days till English mock: 2
Days till Psychology mock: 3
Days till Biology mock: 5

Now before I begin I wanna make it really clear that I am so sorry for sounding like a broken record cause I feel like I've said this so many times now but guess who's stressed again :sexface: that's right! C'est moi!

I 100% know that I said earlier that I was fine and the panic was over BUT NOT ANYMORE! :eek3: :eek4:

Right so I'll explain why I felt this way. For starters the morning was alright, I did quite a bit of revision (mainly just going over some psychology notes and making more mind maps) and yeah it helped a lot. I felt so much more confident for this exam this week. In all honesty I still am that's not actually why I'm nervous but I'll move on. So yeah I continued to revise I think I started at around 11 and stopped at around 2. That's when my family came over. Now this is where the stress actually comes in...

So yeah it was really nice, we had Chinese and talked or whatever but then the topic shifts onto me! (nothing wrong with that I do love a bit of attention :love: joking) However the topic we talk about isn't just the usual how am I or whatever we start to talk about how old I've become now and how it's not long left till I'm at uni or whatever. And I don't know why but this really freaked me out. I think it was because they kept telling me I needed to look at uni entry requirements to know what I needed to get and then I started to doubt myself.

I have no idea why this began either but as soon as they mentioned it I couldn't get my head off of it. It was like I couldn't enjoy myself cause I couldn't stop thinking that I shouldn't be here enjoying myself, eating and chatting but instead I should be revising. Which is sooo unbelievably stupid cause of course I can't revise 24/7 and I need a break but I dunno it got in my head.

Yeah I don't know if I mentioned it before but I'm a complete worrier XD. So yeah I decided to make a list for tomorrow:

make English essay plans

Continue annotating English anthology

Finish making Psychology mind maps

Watch some biology revisely videos

Do more psychology past papers

Do some quizlet flashcards

And that's it so be fair! So see ya later

I to use the forest app and find it helpful !

I had a bit of bad day today, I couldnt understand a concept in economics. So I basically went copy and pasted relevant definitions from at least 20 sites, kept thinking what if one site has the wrong definition ? lol its quite mad.

so today wasnt that productive for me, but on the + side, im making progress through the hardest chapter
Original post by Bamble

Right, you have 12 months before uni applications, or if you want to do medicine or go to Oxford or Cambridge you have 9 months. Your family aren't wrong, looking and thinking about university at this stage isn't harmful (although you're a tad early:tongue:).

You should have a look at all the advice here before you go too far into anything:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni

And feel free to PM me any questions.

There is literally nothing to worry about on this. I think it's probably a little bit "fear of the unknown" right now, so just take a breath.:yep:

Happy people do well in exams, it's important to enjoy yourself too.:wink:
Reply 96
Original post by hannah00
I to use the forest app and find it helpful !

I had a bit of bad day today, I couldnt understand a concept in economics. So I basically went copy and pasted relevant definitions from at least 20 sites, kept thinking what if one site has the wrong definition ? lol its quite mad.

so today wasnt that productive for me, but on the + side, im making progress through the hardest chapter

Awh that's so good! :h:

Shame about your day though hopefully your economics goes better! But as long as your making progress that's all that really matters
Reply 97
Original post by 04MR17
Right, you have 12 months before uni applications, or if you want to do medicine or go to Oxford or Cambridge you have 9 months. Your family aren't wrong, looking and thinking about university at this stage isn't harmful (although you're a tad early:tongue:).

You should have a look at all the advice here before you go too far into anything:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni

And feel free to PM me any questions.

There is literally nothing to worry about on this. I think it's probably a little bit "fear of the unknown" right now, so just take a breath.:yep:

Happy people do well in exams, it's important to enjoy yourself too.:wink:

Yeah it really is just a fear of the unknown I have no idea why I'm panicking so much for :laugh:

Thanks for the advice! :h: Much needed
Original post by Bamble
Yeah it really is just a fear of the unknown I have no idea why I'm panicking so much for :laugh:

Thanks for the advice! :h: Much needed
It usually is fear of the unknown.:yep: Take exam nerves for example, once you've seen the paper, most people are okay. It's the apprehension beforehand about what the questions are.:wink: When you panic, just stop, breath and just think: "Does it really matter?":yep:

:hat2:
Reply 99
14/01/18
Days till English mock: 1
Days till Psychology mock: 2
Days till Biology mock: 4

So I have actually already written this post out but for some unknown reason it just seems to have disappeared ? Maybe it'll come back and I'll have 2 of the same posts on my blog XD

So I made my last post as short as I possibly could seeing as how I've gotta get ready for tomorrow so I'll try to recap what I said in case the post does come back.

Basically my English mock is tomorrow and I'm feeling calm. Not 100% confident that I'll get what I want (in all honesty I probably wouldn't be happy until I got the best possible grade) but what're you gonna do about it? It's literally the day before the exam, I'm gonna wake up early tomorrow obviously to revise but like how much will I learn with that extra few minutes? I doubt it'll jump me up a few grades. Anyways it's only mocks so if I don't get what I want then I'll just try harder next time I guess.

So yeah today was just a total English revision day. Just making essay plans, annotating texts, rereading notes and so on and so forth. I feel slightly more confident but lets see for tomorrow. Slightly nervous I won't have enough time or I'll take too long to plan but I gotta stop thinking like that cause if I do I'm gonna freak out during the exam and I know I won't do as well as I can do XD.

Can't wait till this week is over! Praying for tomorrow to go well and I'll tell you all how it goes tomorrow :plz2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending