Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

For the new year, I will be beginning a Grow Your Grades Blog, in order to help me achieve level 8’s & 9’s in my GCSE exams & to also help others in their studying & revision, so let’s get started.

I take 11 GCSE’s + 1 BTEC (which I have an exam for in January). My predicted grades are:

English Language - 7
    English Literature - 7
    Mathematics - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Religious Studies - 9
    Geography - 9
    History - 7
    French - 5
    Economics - A*
    BTEC Sport - D

All my exam boards are AQA, except the 3 sciences (which are OCR) & BTEC Sport (which is Edexcel)

I have planned a revision timetable & will update on how that is going throughout 2018

My plan for the future is to take Maths , Economics , Geography & EPQ at A-Level, and want to take an Economics degree at university & pursue economics as a career., as I really enjoy it & have a passion for it.

I hope you enjoy this & feel free to ask any questions & good luck to anyone taking GCSE’s

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow is my last day before school & it’s time to prepare for the next 6 months.

Plan for Tomorrow
    - Update current revision PowerPoints
    - Complete notes on specifications

I also may play some darts & go for a run

My revision PowerPoints, is one of my favourite methods of revision. I can upload all the important information on to a PowerPoint & be able to check back on them, on my phone or Laptop.

I have also created some notes on the specification for each exam. For me this is like a checklist of things I need to know,before my exam.

Hopefully I will finish all my specification notes & PowerPoints (although I have a cold ).

Also coming up, I will be receiving my mock results back & will update on my results & how the first few days of school have started.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Sam! I’ll be watching this thread😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troubletracking)
    Good luck Sam! I’ll be watching this thread😊
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Last Day of the holidays today & I’ve finished my preparations for school

I’ve spent a while scrolling through specifications for the OCR GCSE Chemistry & Physics, making notes on the key things to study & learn (Although they make it very difficult to do so). I also looked through the AQA GCSE Geography Specification (which was a lot easier to navigate through) to finish up some notes.

Now all my specification notes are done, I’m ready for the next 6 months, as I can look back at these, checking to see what I need to revise/don’t understand & have it like a checklist to see what I already know & understand.

School is Tomorrow & my Bag is all packed & ready to go.

131 days until my first exam!

ReputationRep:
    First Day of School
    - Found out our Science classes are moving into sets
    - Which means I have a much better behaved class

Homework
    - Once at home I completed the 2 pieces of homework I was set, so I have none left to do
    - Nothing too difficult either & was nice to get back into the routine so easily
    - I had a 12 Mark Question to do & a Poster about a post-industrial Economy

Revision
    - I also revised some BTEC Sport
    - REAL Exam is in January
    - I went over all 44 practice Questions and scored 31/44
    - Not too bad considering I haven’t revised this for over 3 Weeks
    - Also not a very difficult session either as I didn’t write anything down & listened to music

Tomorrow’s Plan
    - Homework (if I get any)
    - Revise some more BTEC Sport (more challenging revision session)

Future Events
    - Mock Results
    - BTEC Sport Exam
    - Beginning of my new revision timetable

Next Update = Tommorow or Friday

ReputationRep:
    First 3 Days of School
    - I returned back to school on the 3rd January
    - Pretty much left off where we finished last term & went straight back into learning hard
    - I’ve had 2 revision sessions (Wednesday & Thursday) revising BTEC Sport
    - I’ve done a total of six pieces of homework, since the start of term.

Weekend Plan
    - This weekend I plan to revise English Literature , BTEC Sport & French
    - English Literature = An Inspector Calls Flashcards (on themes & characters)
    - BTEC Sport = Fitness Tests
    - French = Vocabulary + Past Tense
    - I will also be editing my revision timetable

Next Week
    - Mock Results
    - Beginning of my new revision timetable

First Exam = 127 Days

ReputationRep:
    Name:  BE2402CE-DFCF-4E11-B75F-0B9CB6D46AB3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  353.2 KBWeekend
    - BTEC Sport Revision: Complete
    - English Literature: Complete

- Sport Revision involved going over fitness tests & editing my PowerPoint.
    - English Literature involved writing 8 revisin cards on characters & Key themes with Quotes & Ideas

Overall, I felt my revision this weekend was sufficient, although I failed to revise any French.

Revision Timetable
    - I have also edited my revision timetable to fit in my Sport Revision, ready for the exam on 24th or 26th of January
    - This involves creating more sessions for sport the closer to the exam date

Other
    - Mock results are out next week, and a preview on expectations & how it went will be posted on Wednesday.
    - Thursday, I will tell you m results & plan how to improve the results

Exam: 126 Days

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow is MOCK RESULTS!!!!

Tomorrow I will be given my mock results in an envelope

I took my mocks in the last 2 weeks before the Christmas holidays. In total I took 15 exams in 11 subjects

What I learned
    Over the 2 week period of exams, learned some useful things that will help me in my future revision & exams & will hopefullly help you guys.

1) Don’t revise too hard - For me I revised everyday after school (usually after 2 exams) & on weekends. At the beginning of mock week, I was comfortable & ok, but near the end of the 2 weeks, I became tired & struggled to write (especiallly in my history exams). In the future I will take more breaks, as I sometimes revised things I already knew,which brings me into my next point.

2) Revise the things you struggle at - For me, this was one of my biggest mistakes. I spent too much time & energy revising things I already knew. This meant I became very tired at the end of the week & that I didn’t spend much time on topics that I should’ve benn revising first.

3) Never assume that some topics won’t be on the exam - This only occurred once or twice, but nevertheless it cost me marks. In my revision I might’ve skipped over a certain topic or information, as I believed they wouldn’t come up & I was wasting my time with it, only to see the question come up & be frustrated in myself that I didn’t revise it.

4) Make sure you know the basics - Yes, you should study the harder topics, but make sure you really do know the simple stuff. I made a huge error in my chemistry exam, where I mixed up an endothermic Reaction profile with an exothermic Reaction profile, costing me 4 marks.

5) Don’t dwell on mistakes - This is something I did quite well, but is a good tip to anyone. Everyone makes mistakes in exams (I did quite a few times) but the important thing is not to think about it at all, otherwise it will affect your revision for your next exams, & affect the performance in your exams. But even now I’m thinking of why & how I messed up that chemistry exothermic Reaction profile, but it’s important to just forget it & move on.

6) Vary Revision - The Last thing that I learned is that revision became increasingly more boring, as I repeatedly did Practice Questions. Something that I will definately take away from my exams is to vary my revision. For example watch videos on the topic, look at last papers, or even play darts or go on a run, while going over a certain topic. This will keep revisin more interesting & is definately something I will be practicing in future revision sessions.

Predictions
    Overall, I feel that I have underperformed in my mocks & the Grades that I get, won’t be as good as they could be. However, they will (hopefully) still be good grades, that I’m happy with, but not the grades that I want. My predictions are below:
    - Biology - 7
    - Chemistry - 6/7
    - Physics - 7
    - English - 7
    - English Literature - 7
    - History - 6
    - French - 4/5
    - Geography - 8
    - Maths - 8
    - Economics - A

Tomorrow will be a Review & look at my mock results, with an in-depth look at each subject.

See You Tommorow!

ReputationRep:
    Mock Results
    Today I received my results from my December Mocks. Overall I’m pleased with them, but there are ac couple of Results I’m disappointed with. An in-depth review on each subject will be below, but first my results:

Biology - 6
    Chemistry - 7
    Physics - 7
    English - 8
    English Literature - 7
    History - 6
    French - 4
    Philosophy - 9
    Geography - 8/9
    Maths - 8
    Economics - B

*I received % marks, so I used last years grade boundaries to come up with a somewhat accurate grade

Biology
    My Prediciton - 7
    Actual Grade - 6

Probably my biggest surprise, was Biology. I predicted a 7, thinking I might get an 8, however needed up with a 6, which I’m disappointed about. This is because after the exam, I felt really good & it was one my favourite science exams. The questions that came up were good & I revised well (or so I thought I did). I’m not to sure why I have got a 6, but I’ll guess I’ll just have to wait to look at my exam paper.

Chemistry
    My Prediction - 6/7
    Actual Grade - 7

A good results, that I knew I would probably get. I know I made some big mistakes in the paper & there were a couple of questions I didn’t have a clue about. However the rest of the paper, felt good. This is certainly a subject that I could’ve easily got an 8 or 9, had I not made silly errors (such as mixing up an exothermic Reaction profile with an endothermic Reaction profile). Also I need to work on my equations for chemistry as that also let me down. A lot to work on, but still a good result.

Physics
    My Prediciton - 7
    Actual Grade - 7

A subject I do enjoy, but an exam paper I really disliked. The paper wasn’t hard, but some of the questions weren’t even “physics related” in my opinion, such as a question on a teachers journey to work, and yes I know this relates to velocity-time graphs, but there was not maths involved & a 6 mark question, was explain how this graph shows a teachers journey to school. Where is the physics in that question? Anyway, other than that it was an ok result.

English
    My Prediciton - 7
    Actual Grade - 8/9

One of the most surprising results for me was English. It was a good exam, with some good questions. I got an 8/9 as I’m on the border between those 2 grades, but either result is great. The main reason I got this was probably down to my improvement in creative writing. In previous tests, my grade has always been pulled down as I’m not so good at section B (creative writing), which is half of the marks. But I think this shows a great improvement in m ability to write creatively & im very happy

English Literature
    My Prediciton - 7
    Actual Grade - 7

I pretty much knew I would get a 7. I have strong answers on An Inspector Calls & Poetry, but rather weak answers for unseen poetry. I’m happy with the results, but I know I need to work on my unseen poetry, if I want to achieve even higher.

History
    My Prediction - 6
    Actual Grade - 6

I predicted a 6, thinking I would get a 5, but I was wrong. I was also only a couple of marks off a 7. For me this is a real surprise as in both of the exams, I felt tired & felt that some of my answers weren’t long enough or well-written. But to get a 6 is a great result in my opinion & I know if I can boost my energy and try a little more I can definately get higher.

French
    My Prediciton - 4/5
    Actual Grade - 4

A subject I struggle at a lot & don’t enjoy is French. I felt alright at the reading & writing, but I think for the Listening, I really didn’t do well at all. I’ve always found it hard, as I They always speak to fast & I either hear nothing or everything that’s in the multiple choice box, making it extremely hard. I know my French needs more work & ive just bought a French textbook to help me, so hopefully I can improve and get at least a 5 next time.

Philosophy
    Actual Grade - 9

A subject, that I forgot to predict for, but a great result. I scored 98% on the exam, dropping only 2 marks. I’m delighted with the result, yet I must continue the good work in this subject to maintain this level of performance.

Geography
    My Prediction - 8
    Actual Grade - 8/9

A subject I’m taking for my A-Levels & a subject I reallly enjoy. The exam was good & revision paid off. My % mark was on the borderline between the boundaries, so I need to talk to my teacher to see where I’m at. But overall, a great result & hoping to improve upon it.

Maths
    My Prediciton - 8
    Actual Grade - 8

Again a subject I’m taking at A-Level & a subject I find extremely fascinating. I was only a couple of marks off a 9 too, which is rather annoying, but still I’m happy with the result & I know I can do better. We took all 3 papers & I felt quite confident after all of them, none of them were harder or easier than each other, so I’m very pleased

Economics
    My Prediciton - A
    Actual Grade - B

One mark off an A, but still not good enough. A subject I’m taking at A-Level & want to take as a degree, it’s a subject I really love & am passionate about. I know I made a huge error on a 6 mark question, regarding currency exchange rates, but ultimately I should’ve revised more & make sure I understood some topics. This should hopefully be good for me as itsntaught me not to take it for granted that I will do well.

Conclusion
    A long post, I know, but the results today & what I learned will be pivotal for me in achieving level 8/9’s. I’ve also asked myself this question: ‘would you be happy with these results on GCSE results day?’. I’ve thought about this and for me the answer is NO. Why should I settle for these grades, when my target grades & teachers tell me I can get a 9. Also this is the whole point of the Grow Your Grades Blog. I want level 8/9’s, and yes I got one or two, but I want more & im more determined than ever before to work harder & try harder to get the results that I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.T.)
    Hello there,

For the new year, I will be beginning a Grow Your Grades Blog, in order to help me achieve level 8’s & 9’s in my GCSE exams & to also help others in their studying & revision, so let’s get started.

I take 11 GCSE’s + 1 BTEC (which I have an exam for in January). My predicted grades are:

English Language - 7
    English Literature - 7
    Mathematics - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Religious Studies - 9
    Geography - 9
    History - 7
    French - 5
    Economics - A*
    BTEC Sport - D

All my exam boards are AQA, except the 3 sciences (which are OCR) & BTEC Sport (which is Edexcel)

I have planned a revision timetable & will update on how that is going throughout 2018

My plan for the future is to take Maths , Economics , Geography & EPQ at A-Level, and want to take an Economics degree at university & pursue economics as a career., as I really enjoy it & have a passion for it.

I hope you enjoy this & feel free to ask any questions & good luck to anyone taking GCSE’s

Sam
    Really great grades! Also, good luck for your January exam!

ReputationRep:
    Weekend
    A very busy weekend for me, as I had 4 pieces of homework to complete, which I did on the Saturday. I also had a lot of revision to do, as I missed several revision sessions during the week, so decided to catch up on them. I successfully revised 7 subjects, and have completed all the tasks I had to do.

Along side revision I also played FIFA 18, and some darts. It’s very important to relax, as revision can become tiring & boring, and it’s nice to unwind.

This Week
    Not much going on this week. I should be revising 2 subjects each day, but we’ll see how that ends up. My BTEC Sport is approaching fast, so I need to step up on my revision for that this week as well.

BTEC Sport Exam = 10 Days
    First summer exam = 119 Days

ReputationRep:
    Hello There!

So this week I followed my revision schedule for 3 days, but always seem to not do it on Thursday & Friday. I’ve also received a lot of homework that actually take quite a lot of time to complete (Still not done yet). I’ve lacked motivation recently to work hard & revise, and it’s really frustrating as I want to be productive, yet can’t be bothered at the same time.

This weekend I caught up on the revision sessions, but still have 3 pieces of homework left to do. One is to write an essay. The other is to rewrite my French Writing mock exam, and the other is to do analyse a news article

My BTEC Sport Exam is now on Friday 26th January. I’ll be revising everyday from Monday-Thursday to prepare for the exam. To be honest I’m feeling pretty confident, and I pretty much know most of the content of by heart, so I just need to be doing some practice questions & applying my knowledge in my revision sessions.

I’ll also make a Prediciton before & after my exam, estimating my score & results

BTEC Sport Exam = 5 Days!
    Summer Exams = 112 Days

ReputationRep:
    BTEC SPORT EXAM TOMORROW

Tomorrow I have my exam for the Edexcel Level 2 Sport Unit 1. I’ve been revising each day since Monday for 2 hours a day.

Revision Resources = PowerPoint , Book , Specification

I’m partly quite confident, but also quite nervous about the exam. I’m expected to get a Distinction & I know all the content now. But I’m rather worried about the 4 Mark Questions as I always seem to miss important points or make it much more wordy than it needs to be.

Today, I’m going to do lots of practice Questions, trying to improve my exam technique, and hopefully I can come out of the exam with a distinction

My Prediciton: I believe I can get a Distinction, I just need to stay calm & Read The Questions carefully.

Time Until Exam: 20 Hours

ReputationRep:
    BTEC SPORT EXAM - REVIEW

Today I finished my BTEC Sport Exam!
    This means I have fully completed the subject, and have got atleast a Distinction overall

Regarding the exam, I felt the 1 & 2 Mark Questions were easy as well as the 4 markers, which I was quite worried about, but I seemed to answer them pretty well. The 8 marker I had was a challenging question. It was about how Plyometrics affect fitness and there was data from BMI Test , Forestry-Step Test & vertical Jump Test. I wasn’t really sure how to answer it, so I basically wrote down everything I could think of and think I atleast got 5/8 on that question. You need around 42/50 to get a Distinction and I’m feeling pretty confident that I achieved this, but I’ll have to wait and see, when my results come out in March. Also if I get a merit in this exam, I’ll achieve a Distinction overall, but if I get a Distinction in this exam, I’ll get a Distinction* overall.

I’ll also be uploading my revision notes on getrevising.com, so anyone taking the Edexcel Level 2 Sport Unit 1 On-screen Test, my resources will be there, or click on the link below

https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/...-plus-training

ReputationRep:
    This week has simply been procrastination & more procrastination

I have a Revision plan, I have left many sessions still to do as well as homework. My plan for the weekend is to complete all outstanding revision ready for the half-term break.

It’s also 100 Days until my first exam!

Coming up i’ll be doing a review of first half-Term of the year and sharing some of the revision I’ve been doing, and the plan for the next half-term and preparations for my exams.

I’ll give an update on how my crammed revision + homework gets on.

ReputationRep:
    Weekend Review

Before the weekend I had a list of 11 things to do involving homework & revision. Today I managed to complete all of it, in time for the half-term break

Saturday
    - I started off the day by listening to Chapters 3+4 of Frankenstein in order to help me in English Literature. I then did some French Vocabulary revision.
    - After breakfast I completed my French , History, Maths & English Literature Homework
    - I played some PS4 at lunchtime
    - After Dinner, I Then did some History & Geography Revision

Sunday
    - I started off finishing off some Geography revison from yesterday
    - I had a break, and then returned for some Biology Revision
    - After Lunch I Complete some Physics Revision

Overall, this weekend was very productive for me & has lightened the workload for me in the half-term break.

An insight into my revision schedule and plan will be given in the half-term break, so keep an eye on that

First Exam: 98 Days

ReputationRep:
    Winter Half-Term Review (3/01/18-9/02/18)
    This half-Term has been full of Tests, Revision and studying.
    - I received my mock results in which I was overall pleased with
    - I also took my BTEC Sport Exam, in which i was happy about and think I got a Distinction (but have to wait and see)
    - I’ve also implemented my revision timetable and have been making slides on PowerPoint of the topics I find difficult as well as other things. Below is a summary of my revision for each subject and any test I have done.

Biology
    - For my Biology I have used my Practice Questions Sheet and made a slide for each difficult topic (B1-5) and will be doing B6 once the Unit is complete
    - Tests: N/A
    - Tip: Learn Key Terms

Chemistry
    - for Chemistry, I have made Slides for 5/6 Units
    - I have also lost my Exercise Book, so I spent about 30mins rewriting all the notes
    - Test: N/A
    - Tip: Understand the Periodic Table (helps with Ar & electron Questions)

English Language
    - For English Language, I have been watching videos from Mr Bruff
    - Test: Not Marked Yet
    - Tip: Watch Mr Bruff on YouTube

English Literature
    - I have created Flashcards for Context,Quotes,themes ETC
    - I’ve also planned answers to practice Questions
    - I am also currently listening to the Frankenstein audiobook
    - Test: Level 7
    - Tip: Plan answers to practice Questions

Economics
    - I have created slides of the difficult topics
    - I’ve also looked at some past papers
    - Tip: Learn exam technique

French
    - I’ve been on Duolingo & Memrise app
    - Tip: Use the specimen papers

Geography
    - I’ve created slides on the difficult topics
    - Tip: Learn the causes,effects & responses of case studies

History
    - I’ve updated my revision booklet
    - I’ve also created slides on difficult topics
    - Tip: Understand + Learn exam technique

Maths
    - I’ve been using the Pixl Maths app
    - I’ve also been using maths Genie
    - Tip: Practice Questions

Religious Studies
    - I’ve created slides on difficult topics
    - I’ve also created a PowerPoint about Christianity & Islam
    - Tip: Learn Quotes

Physics
    - I’ve created slides on topics P1-5
    - Tip: Learn Equations

A post on things I plan to do in the half-term break will be posted tommorow

Days until Exams: 89 Days

ReputationRep:
    Half-Term Break

This week I wanted to have a break from anything to do with school and be ready to do the hard work, once the new term begins.

I went to Center Parcs for 4 days and arrived back on Monday

Tuesday & Wednesday I had a rest, playing FIFA 18 and Fortnite

Thursday & Friday, I completed P6 & P7 Physics Revision, which took longer than I thought, but I managed to do it

Saturday I bought a PS4 with Star Wats Battlefront 2, so pretty much played that the whole day and today, but hopefully his doesn’t become a distraction from my revision next week (I hope )

Also today I created a poster for Geography about ‘The Economic World’, which took about 1 Hour to Complete

The plan for the next 5 weeks or so until Easter is to revise all topics of very subject at least twice, so I have adjusted my revision timetable.

The aim for Easter Holidays is to create all Revision Notes outstanding and ensure I don’t need to create any more resources, somagte easter it’s just revising, revising & revising

There’s a lot to do, starting tomorrow, and for me it now gets real. The exams are in 84 DAYS TIME! And what I do up to the Easter Holidays will heavily influence my grades

I’m hoping to start a daily blog and how my revision went each day to try and keep me focused and determined to work hard, so here should b an update tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    good luck and work hard! 💪🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.