The Student Room Group

I really need help with this physics question on springs

a trolly is attached by two stretched springs A and B to fixed supports. the trolly has a mass of 0.80kg and the force constant in each spring is 14Nm-1 . the trolly is pulled towards spring A so that
the extension in spring A is 0.30m and the extension in spring B is 0.50m.
the trolly is released. calculate the initial value of the acceleration of the trolly

i understand that i have to use F= ma to work out the acceleration but im confused as to how i calculate the force
could anyone show me. many thanks
Original post by Amberinho
a trolly is attached by two stretched springs A and B to fixed supports. the trolly has a mass of 0.80kg and the force constant in each spring is 14Nm-1 . the trolly is pulled towards spring A so that
the extension in spring A is 0.30m and the extension in spring B is 0.50m.
the trolly is released. calculate the initial value of the acceleration of the trolly

i understand that i have to use F= ma to work out the acceleration but im confused as to how i calculate the force
could anyone show me. many thanks

The magnitude of the force due to the spring can be calculated using F = kx where k is spring constant and x is the extension.

Then you need to determine the direction of the spring force and sum them vectorially before applying F = ma.
Reply 2
Original post by Eimmanuel
The magnitude of the force due to the spring can be calculated using F = kx where k is spring constant and x is the extension.

Then you need to determine the direction of the spring force and sum them vectorially before applying F = ma.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest