gcse0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was thinking on doing an EPQ on the controversy surrounding embryonic stem cells.
However, I was wondering if it had less to do with medicine and more to do with other subjects such as Religion, Philosophy, Sociology etc.

Or another idea about the direct influence of stem cells, adult or embryonic, on treating Alzheimer's?

Which would be more beneficial to Medicine when I will apply?
gcse0
Rep:
?
bump
onceuponamedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Embryonic stem cells is definitely to do with Medicine. Even if you incorporate all the ethics into it, it's still related to Medicine because of the whole field of medical ethics.

To be completely honest, the EPQ isn't really that beneficial at all for applying to Medicine. I did it last year when I was applying and you can read all my thoughts on it here: https://lifeofamedic.com/should-i-do-the-epq/

If you're going to do the EPQ, don't do it in the hope that it'll give you an advantage, because it simply doesn't. And the question you pick matters even less, you could do a topic completely unrelated to Medicine if you wanted - it'll make no difference. If you still want to do it, just pick something that you find interesting
gcse0
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Obviously a topic related to medicine would be good, if anything it will give you things to talk about at the interview. Why would you not want to do an EPQ on a medical topic I am not sure? Are you really wanting to do medicine?

I would be biased and say do Alzheimer's disease and its (future) treatment.
I really want to do Medicine.
I was unsure whether if ethics could be incorporated into the topic of Medicine. I was unsure if ethics was linked more to human morality and philosophy than it was for Medicine itself.

For example, would the university prefer me to do an EPQ on ethics or on Alzheimer's. That was my question in a nutshell.
gcse0
Rep:
?
(Original post by onceuponamedic)
Embryonic stem cells is definitely to do with Medicine. Even if you incorporate all the ethics into it, it's still related to Medicine because of the whole field of medical ethics.

To be completely honest, the EPQ isn't really that beneficial at all for applying to Medicine. I did it last year when I was applying and you can read all my thoughts on it here: https://lifeofamedic.com/should-i-do-the-epq/

If you're going to do the EPQ, don't do it in the hope that it'll give you an advantage, because it simply doesn't. And the question you pick matters even less, you could do a topic completely unrelated to Medicine if you wanted - it'll make no difference. If you still want to do it, just pick something that you find interesting
Ok, thanks for the advice
I hope you don't mind, but what did you get in your EPQ
gcse0
Rep:
?
No, ethics is an essential part of medicine. When I interviewed I asked the candidates lots of questions on ethics.

The University would not care what topic of EPQ you did. I personally would have done topic that because that's where my interest lies (but then I am a neurology doctor) - obviously it may be different for you.
I think I am going to do it on Alzheimer but I will have a section regarding medical ethics on the use of embryonic stem cells.
onceuponamedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcse0)
Ok, thanks for the advice
I hope you don't mind, but what did you get in your EPQ
I got an A in my EPQ
onceuponamedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcse0)
I really want to do Medicine.
I was unsure whether if ethics could be incorporated into the topic of Medicine. I was unsure if ethics was linked more to human morality and philosophy than it was for Medicine itself.

For example, would the university prefer me to do an EPQ on ethics or on Alzheimer's. That was my question in a nutshell.
The university honestly won't care what it's on. For Medicine they won't really even care whether you've done one. If you want it to help you in some way I'd say go for the ethics question as you'll be able to relate your arguments to medical school interviews which have a huge ethical component. An ethics question will also be easier to do so hopefully you'll be able to finish it more quickly and it won't take too much time away from your A level subjects
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above, any interview invitation is not going to hang on whether or not you've done an EPQ, never mind what it was on. So just choose a topic that interests/intrigues you, and which you will enjoy doing.

What really matters for a Medicine application is high GCSE grades, high A level predictions - and mature, adult reflection on relevant work experience and voluntary work.

Lots of good TSR advice about Applying for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
gcse0
Rep:
?
(Original post by onceuponamedic)
The university honestly won't care what it's on. For Medicine they won't really even care whether you've done one. If you want it to help you in some way I'd say go for the ethics question as you'll be able to relate your arguments to medical school interviews which have a huge ethical component. An ethics question will also be easier to do so hopefully you'll be able to finish it more quickly and it won't take too much time away from your A level subjects
I'm worried if there is enough sources/information on the controversy for embryonic stem cells
bump
gcse0
Rep:
?
Sounds good!
Would there be more sources/information on Alzhiemers and Embryonic Stem Cells or ...
Controversy on Embryonic Stem Cell

Sorry if I am being annoying.
gcse0
Rep:
?
I don't know what you mean? Can you elaborate - Alzheimer's and Stem Cells have barely any connection at all (unless you are suggesting that Stem Cell is a treatment for Alzheimer's?), whereas Stem Cell research is potentially controversial.
What I mean to say is:
Would there be more information/sources on the prospect of stem cells in use on Alzheimer's patients
Or..
The controversy regarding embryonic stem cells
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcse0)
What I mean to say is:
Would there be more information/sources on the prospect of stem cells in use on Alzheimer's patients
Or..
The controversy regarding embryonic stem cells
I don't think there are any current useful Alzheimer's Disease treatment derived from stem cells, but it is an actively researched area.

Embroynic stem cell research has always been controversial - you should easily find information there on this topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads