Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of college because I had an unconditional offer watch

ReputationRep:
    It's not from my first choice, its from birmingham but I think its what is best for me. The stress of college is killing me as I have pressure to achieve A*A*A and I am awaiting January 10th for my caimbridge results. I can't deal with the stress. Do I need my teachers permission to withdraw from ucas? Because I was thinking about withdrawing evrything except Birmingham today and not going back to college again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Savylavy)
    It's not from my first choice, its from birmingham but I think its what is best for me. The stress of college is killing me as I have pressure to achieve A*A*A and I am awaiting January 10th for my caimbridge results. I can't deal with the stress. Do I need my teachers permission to withdraw from ucas? Because I was thinking about withdrawing evrything except Birmingham today and not going back to college again.

You still have to do your exams you know.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Unconditional offers expect you to get the qualifications normally so ask Birmingham before you make a decision

ReputationRep:
    1. You have to sit your exams for an unconditional
    2. Just wait 10 days then decide
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Hi!

You can't drop out of college. Your unconditional offer lies on the basis of you taking your exams. If you drop out, the "terms" of your offer have changed and then your unconditional offer is no longer valid.

I hope this helped xx

ReputationRep:
    You still have to pass your exams

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they can withdraw the unconditional if you pull out and don't sit your exams. It's tough for everyone, not a wise move to drop out imo.

ReputationRep:
    you have to sit your exams to get the unconditional you just don't need to achieve the required grades
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    All I am saying is Cambridge > Birmingham....... You literally have 8 days until Cambridge replies!!!!!!

You are "strongly encouraged" by unis to complete the courses you are on, and unconditionals can still be withdrawn if you don't complete. You said that the problem was the stress, so I would take it as you no longer having to be so stressed to get the top grades, because even if you tank you now know you have an unconditional which won't get taken away due to bad grades. Don't think of it as a pressure to get perfect grades, think of it as having the opportunity to dial back a little on the things causing you so much stress. Now you know you have an unconditional, you no longer have to push yourself so hard.

Plus future employers can look at A Levels if they deem your uni degree too specific - my cousin got hers in English Literature, went for a job as an English teacher, and they basically said that if it weren't for her A at A Levels in English Language they wouldn't have been convinced that she could teach both the Literature and Language aspects of the syllabus.

And no, I don't think you do. I was able to withdraw my bid for one of my choices at home by myself, and I imagine it works the same with others.

ReputationRep:
    You need to learn how to cope with stress, as it won't suddenly end after college. Don't just accept an unconditional offer because it's the easy option.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bro if you think the stress now is bad maybe you should withdraw. University will be far worse for you i imagine.

ReputationRep:
    I'll assume that you're not a troll, although what you're proposing does sound really daft.

Congratulations on your predicated grades and offer. Which course is this for?

The Birmingham offer will still be there after the 10th January (and beyond), so do not change anything now. As others have said, you still need to complete your exams, but having a lower offer(s) relieves the pressure.

Is the Birmingham offer one of the 'unconditional if firm' ones? These are designed to pray on the insecurities that many people have, making them take decisions for the wrong reasons. Despite what you may think, the predicated grades that your teachers gave are more likely to be right that your assessment.

Ten years from now, you would regret not even knowing if Cambridge would have made you an offer, and fear that you threw away an opportunity to study at one of the World's best universities (even if they can't work-out which end of the punt to stand on). Don't do it.

UCAS allows you a firm and insurance choice. You don't have to select these until all decisions are in, but an offer will not be withdrawn because you didn't accept it immediately.

ReputationRep:
    You must complete your current qualifications - ie. you must have a completed Level 3 qualification to do a degree at Birmingham.

And, A level results matter. Many graduate recruitment schemes are based on your A levels grades plus degree. No A level grades = reduced employment options in 3 years time.

Stop being lazy - finish the A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently applying for grad schemes and most of them ask for your A Level grades or at least ask how many UCAS points you got. Even if you have a degree (which I don't think is possible unless you at least sit the exams) then I fear a job will still be difficult to obtain without A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    What some people are saying in this thread is incorrect:

"Having an unconditional offer from your favourite university at an early stage of your application can be very reassuring. It means that if you select them as your firm choice, you will definitely be accepted on to the course, regardless of what grades you get in the summer."

OP, if you want you can literally do nothing, turn up to the exam and answer it to the best of your ability and get U's and you'll still be accepted onto the course, but I'd also strongly advise you don't do that.

1) What you get in A-levels with have a big impact when you apply to get a job.
    2) Parts of the A-level will be covered in the first year of university, so to make things easier for yourself i'd suggest you learn it.
    3) Your other course mates will have completed the specification so you'd have to catch up on the content as well as learning the new things at University (not fun for first year)
    4)You may find this is not the University for you and if you won't have qualifications then you'd have to re-do A-levels and apply later to University (Waste of time and money when you can do that now).

Source

Stay strong, Take regular breaks in your revision and if it's becoming to much might I recommend you talk to your form tutor or something?
    Have a Great 2018!

ReputationRep:
    I totally feel you and I am in the same boat. I have an unconditional from Birmingham and am waiting on an offer for Cambridge. I hate the pressure and have so many other things going on this year I want to drop out. But you have to do the exams if I drop out now then Birmingham will withdraw the unconditional. You could just turn up to the exam answer a few and then leave, then your offer remains.

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop out of college, take a break re-assess your thoughts and then once you have collected yourself get back into your usual school routine. You've done the majority of the waiting for your Cambridge results so hang on in there a lil further, remember you're not alone in this boat and feeling. Birmingham probably gave you the unconditional because they know you could go to a better university, dont throw away a year and a half's worth of work on the prospect of a less stressful time, because if you do you'd probably never be able to let go of the fact you did drop out and lose your chances of a better further education because you had safe choice
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    you may as well complete them now, you have done the whole of year 12 and most of year 13, it would be a waste to throw that work away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    I totally feel you and I am in the same boat. I have an unconditional from Birmingham and am waiting on an offer for Cambridge. I hate the pressure and have so many other things going on this year I want to drop out. But you have to do the exams if I drop out now then Birmingham will withdraw the unconditional. You could just turn up to the exam answer a few and then leave, then your offer remains.
    It's very unlikely that the OP will be able to survive the 1st year if they can't complete the exams, as you suggest.

Much better for OP to work hard to pass the exams decently and then ask the uni to allow them to defer the start of study.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.