sjbelkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m in Y10 and (although it’s a tad early) am really interested in going to Uni to study psychology. I’ve read a bunch of books to do with it and looked up stuff about what the degree is like and what you can do after but I have absolutely no idea how to get work experience. I wanted to do something with a helpline but I’m too young and I asked to help at a clinic in my area but there wasn’t anything I could do... Help?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't need work experience to apply for the degree
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sjbelkin)
I’m in Y10 and (although it’s a tad early) am really interested in going to Uni to study psychology. I’ve read a bunch of books to do with it and looked up stuff about what the degree is like and what you can do after but I have absolutely no idea how to get work experience. I wanted to do something with a helpline but I’m too young and I asked to help at a clinic in my area but there wasn’t anything I could do... Help?
The degree course really focuses on research, so they won't place much value in gaining practical counselling/clinical type skills as of yet, and you're fairly limited in what good quality work experience you can get when your under 18. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage.

Reading is definitely the most important thing (have you seen my thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2739866 ). Its also worth looking out for essay competitions in psychology for sixth form students - if you compete in these it will help your application stand out.

I only really know about the research route into psychology, so can't really advise about what would be useful otherwise.

If you want to get into psychology research, then a handy skill to learn is coding and statistics. You could learn to do data analysis using the R programming language with this book (Its quite practical and contains loads of example datasets which are fun to analyse) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering...g+statistics+r . Alternatively you could learn how to make computerised experiments using python with this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Expe...+psychologists
sjbelkin
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
sexilexi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Working at mcdonalds is a good start cos it’s next to impossible to get a decent job with that degree
sjbelkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinycharlie)
Working at mcdonalds is a good start cos it’s next to impossible to get a decent job with that degree
... ok?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
... ok?
Dont listen to them - you can do any job that does not require a specific degree (i.e. generic grad schemes) along with the psychology ones
Peterbokor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, as long as your passionate about the subject you can almost most likely do a degree in it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.66%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
15.15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (37)
18.69%

Watched Threads