The Student Room Group

How do I get a grade 9 in Maths?

I really want to get a grade 9 in maths as its one of my favourite subjects and one that I want to study it at a level, but I seem to keep getting stuck with 7s and 8s. Unfortunately I haven't got my mock results back yet (and won't be until the end of the month) so I don't really know where I'm at now or what I need to work on. So, does anyone have any tips on how I could get closer to achieving a grade 9 and revision websites/videos that could help?
People are randomly selected for 9's from the 8+ band. there is no way to guarantee a 9.

Also if you're and an 8,you are doing really well.
Original post by huraiyrah
People are randomly selected for 9's from the 8+ band. there is no way to guarantee a 9.

Not random.

Last year it was around the top 3% of candidates. (which was 190/240)
Original post by huraiyrah

That's BS
Original post by Princessalfie
I really want to get a grade 9 in maths as its one of my favourite subjects and one that I want to study it at a level, but I seem to keep getting stuck with 7s and 8s. Unfortunately I haven't got my mock results back yet (and won't be until the end of the month) so I don't really know where I'm at now or what I need to work on. So, does anyone have any tips on how I could get closer to achieving a grade 9 and revision websites/videos that could help?

Hello,

I did my maths GCSE and got a grade seven last year.

I am currently studying Maths, Computer Science and Physics and am 100% going to uni after a-levels.

Getting grades 7 and 8 are both respectively an amazing acheivement. (8 especially).

You are correct in saying that the top 3% of 8+ get given a grade 9 so, the only way to really guarantee a grade 9 is to achieve full-marks. (3% I am not sure on)

Now, getting full-marks on a test-paper is highly unlikely, let alone having to cope with exam pressure at the same time.

My maths teacher sent us many resources and questions to do; one of these was corbettmaths. they have different leveled quesitons to choose from and have something called a "5-a-day".

Hope this helped,
-duck
Reply 5

Football compilation videos :smile:
Reply 6

Do as many past papers as you can.
Here are links:

I recommend doing this order:
- mathsgenie worksheets
- mathsmadeeasy worksheets
- justmaths worksheets
- once you finished ALL the worksheets in ALL three sites move onto the papers
- AQA papers
- Edexcel papers
- OCR papers
- specimen papers
- CrashMaths papers
- Churchill papers
- practice set papers and mocks from school

Worksheets (for all topics with answers):

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html

https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/

https://justmaths.co.uk/2015/12/21/9...c-higher-tier/

Your CGP workbook + CGP grade 9 workbook (buy them if you don't have them by now)

PAST PAPERS:
AQA papers: https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-mat...a-past-papers/
Edexcel papers: https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-mat...l-past-papers/
OCR papers: https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-mat...r-past-papers/

The CrashMaths, Churchill and specimen papers can be found online. Mock papers + practice sets can be requested from your teacher.

I did my GCSEs last year and got a grade 9 in Maths. Before that I kept getting 8s in my mocks. I think teachers deliberately don’t give 9s in mocks because it makes students complacent. Leading up to the exams, I did a set of mock papers a week, it really helped.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi, I done GCSE last year and got a grade 9 in maths. All you need to do is practice, look at your weak topics and learn how to do them. Test yourself frequently and make sure you stay on track. You are doing very well if you are getting 7s and 8s at this time in the year!
any sites with the hardest possible questions you can possibly get that will prepare you for the last few questions in a paper
Original post by DBABA123
any sites with the hardest possible questions you can possibly get that will prepare you for the last few questions in a paper

you can buy booster books, or the only one i know of the top of my head is MyMaths that does booster packs for grade 8-9 questions on various different topics :biggrin:

practice, girl!!!!!! :smile: For any math exam ever, the key is to practice and practice till you feel like gouging your eyes out (exactly how I felt when I was practicing for my IGCSE Additional Maths exam last year.) It always always pays off. Make sure you note down your mistakes so you don't make them again, and ask someone for help when you don't understand anything!

Looking over your formulae/reading your textbook helps too, but the main thing is practice! Good luck, go smash those exams :smile:
Original post by _TheRubb3rDuck
Hello,

I did my maths GCSE and got a grade seven last year.

I am currently studying Maths, Computer Science and Physics and am 100% going to uni after a-levels.

Getting grades 7 and 8 are both respectively an amazing acheivement. (8 especially).

You are correct in saying that the top 3% of 8+ get given a grade 9 so, the only way to really guarantee a grade 9 is to achieve full-marks. (3% I am not sure on)

Now, getting full-marks on a test-paper is highly unlikely, let alone having to cope with exam pressure at the same time.

My maths teacher sent us many resources and questions to do; one of these was corbettmaths. they have different leveled quesitons to choose from and have something called a "5-a-day".

Hope this helped,
-duck

I have tried this and found it really helpful, thank you!
I have tried this and found it really helpful, thank you!

I made a thread about it a while ago after results day. Here's the link. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask me.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search/?tsr-search-query=how+to+get+grade+9+in+maths
Reply 15

Something like the top 2% will get a grade 9. Aim for an 8, a grade 9 is a new "bonus grade" if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest