The Student Room Group

ASAP I need some guidance

Im not sure what to do after my gcses
Should i do a levels or go for a apprenticeship for accounting?

Further answers available. idk what to ask right now :O
Do A levels so you have a back up in case you decide that you don’t want to go into accountancy after all.
What are your predicted grades for your GCSE's/ What do you think you'll get?
Reply 3
A levels:
I enjoy maths, so i will defo pick that
English literature is about Macbeth and Shakespeare stuff right and English Language is Poetry and Drama?
I also enjoy geography so i will pick that
Im not sure for 4th subject
Can people share their experiences from when they were in gcse times
Reply 4
Original post by Aroosa07
Do A levels so you have a back up in case you decide that you don’t want to go into accountancy after all.

So tell me how all this works.I do my a levels aswell as accountancy on the side or???
Reply 5
Original post by S.H.Rahman
What are your predicted grades for your GCSE's/ What do you think you'll get?

Im gonna get my predicted grades soon when im back to school, I was away from school for a while so i doubt they will be what im expecting :frown:
I already feel like im not gonna be successful

Maths prolly a 7
English 6
Geography 6
Original post by Shabby33
So tell me how all this works.I do my a levels aswell as accountancy on the side or???

Spend the next two years doing A levels, make sure you do Maths. After the two years, you can apply for an apprenticeship in accountancy. At the end of the two years if you want to do something else, at least you have the option of going into another field with the other A levels you choose to do. Going straight into an apprenticeship limits your options I think.
Reply 7
Spend the next two years doing A levels, make sure you do Maths. After the two years, you can apply for an apprenticeship in accountancy. At the end of the two years if you want to do something else, at least you have the option of going into another field with the other A levels you choose to do. Going straight into an apprenticeship limits your options I think.

Okay so i do my a levels first then go onto accounting Or can i not do a levels at all and go straight into accounting from a college and train there and some ACCA?? exams. Im so lost :frown:
Okay so i do my a levels first then go onto accounting Or can i not do a levels at all and go straight into accounting from a college and train there and some ACCA?? exams. Im so lost :frown:

You can do an accountancy course straight away but that’s only if you’re fully sure you want to do accountancy. If you change your mind mid way, it’ll be really hard. I’d advise you to spend two years at sixth form/ college just doing A levels.
When I was at school, a friend did 3 years of A-Levels (I think he resat one year) and then afterwards, he applied to train as an accountant at a local firm. You could do A-Levels, and then afterwards look at accountancy training schemes (train you on the job) or go to university and study accountancy or another subject that interests you. Having A-levels will open up more routes for you in the future.

Does accountancy really interest you? What is pulling you to doing an apprenticeship after your GCSEs? You could also ask your school to see a careers advisor if they have this facility.
Reply 10
You can do an accountancy course straight away but that’s only if you’re fully sure you want to do accountancy. If you change your mind mid way, it’ll be really hard. I’d advise you to spend two years at sixth form/ college just doing A levels.

Okay thanks for the information. Im a little more calm now

I still need help to pick my A-Levels. What did you pick?
Im defo picking Maths and Geography so thats 2 in the bag
English lit is Shakespeare stuff right? - What do you do in Alevels for this
English lang is Poetry right? - What do you do in Alevels for this also
Im still stuck on picking my last topic since i dont prefer doing any of the sciences since i find them boring.
Reply 11
Original post by cheesecakelove
When I was at school, a friend did 3 years of A-Levels (I think he resat one year) and then afterwards, he applied to train as an accountant at a local firm. You could do A-Levels, and then afterwards look at accountancy training schemes (train you on the job) or go to university and study accountancy or another subject that interests you. Having A-levels will open up more routes for you in the future.

Does accountancy really interest you? What is pulling you to doing an apprenticeship after your GCSEs? You could also ask your school to see a careers advisor if they have this facility.

Im still not really sure about accountancy as i just had this thought from a few days back. Maybe some other suggestions may change my mind if you and others can suggest some. Im still thinking about what to do after my A levels but im defo doing them as i will have many more opportuinities in the future

I think it would be very useful for you to talk to your school's career's advisor which could be your year leader or someone separate in the school.

Im still stuck on picking my last topic since i dont prefer doing any of the sciences since i find them boring.

I do Maths, Physics and Sociology. Really the third choice of your a levels should just be something you enjoy doing otherwise you’ll find the two years very difficult if you dont enjoy your subjects.

You're not required to take any specific A-Levels for Accounting although Maths and Economics are advised so I think you should highly consider Economics as your third subject.

Here's a link to a threat talking about the difference between literature and language. For the most part, it's fairly self-explanatory: Langauge looks at and analyses the use of language in the media and in other
places whereas Literature looks more into Poetry and books.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2897409
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
I do Maths, Physics and Sociology. Really the third choice of your a levels should just be something you enjoy doing otherwise you’ll find the two years very difficult if you dont enjoy your subjects.

Dont you have to do 4 subjects?

How was sociology?
Reply 17
Original post by Mendeley Desktop

Whats this?
Dont you have to do 4 subjects?

How was sociology?

We could choose to do 3 or 4. Sociology’s great, really recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest