odd.duck
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently undertaking a foundation year in biomedical sciences (since I didn't do any science related subjects at A-Level) so I was wondering after completing the foundation year, will I be able to apply for medicine and how could I go about this? I really don't know if there are any unis that would accept a foundation year qualification for a medicine course..

If not, would I have to get a degree in biomed and then apply for medicine??

Thanks in advance
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by odd.duck)
I'm currently undertaking a foundation year in biomedical sciences (since I didn't do any science related subjects at A-Level) so I was wondering after completing the foundation year, will I be able to apply for medicine and how could I go about this? I really don't know if there are any unis that would accept a foundation year qualification for a medicine course..

If not, would I have to get a degree in biomed and then apply for medicine??

Thanks in advance
Which Uni are you studying at? If your Uni has an affliated medical school then potentially - you will need to ask though, because I have a feeling that the foundation year leads on to a Biomedical Sciences degree course and not Medicine (that will be a foundation year to Medicine).

Obviously if you cannot go straight into Medicine after this foundation year that you are doing now, then yes you would have to go through Graduate Entry Medicine (which is more competitive than 5 year Medicine).
odd.duck
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Which Uni are you studying at? If your Uni has an affliated medical school then potentially - you will need to ask though, because I have a feeling that the foundation year leads on to a Biomedical Sciences degree course and not Medicine (that will be a foundation year to Medicine).

Obviously if you cannot go straight into Medicine after this foundation year that you are doing now, then yes you would have to go through Graduate Entry Medicine (which is more competitive than 5 year Medicine).
Oh so sorry for the late response. My uni doesn't have a medical school or anything. I think you're right. The course I'm doing can lead to biomed, biological sciences, pharmacology and a few others.. but not medicine D:

If I complete foundation year at my uni, could I then start a degree course at another university?

Thank you for your help!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by odd.duck)
Oh so sorry for the late response. My uni doesn't have a medical school or anything. I think you're right. The course I'm doing can lead to biomed, biological sciences, pharmacology and a few others.. but not medicine D:
Do you have another "relatively" local university? For example while University of Derby does not have a medical school, Nottingham does and their graduate students go to Derby to study. Your local hospital will usually be "assigned" to a University. For example Lincoln County Hospital receive medical students from Nottingham and Leicester Unis, and Northampton General Hospital gets Oxford and Leicester students.

If I complete foundation year at my uni, could I then start a degree course at another university?
Unlikely, but you need to check if there is an "affliated" University.

Thank you for your help!
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads